I'm At A Loss

Gatorgirlsj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I'm glad I found this forum. I am at a Crossroads or I recently became a human mommy just to cat Brothers (6 yrs). They were taken to my local SPCA for sadly a few days before their original human mom was tragically killed in a car accident. So of course my heart melted
I have always been around cats since I can remember for my mother always had at least 2 all the time. I do know that cats go through a depression and I've been trying to respect this time for adjustment. Good news is I finally found a food they like and they do go potty in the litter box. I am getting another letterboxd delivered tomorrow for I only had one that was given to me from my parents. And Beggars can't be choosers you know. I have one orange and white one and one black and white one and in the beginning ,I saw the orange and white one frequently and within the past couple days now I know where the black and white one sleeps ,I have not seen the orange white one. I live alone and I don't have a loud house and very quiet. I know but the black and white come out at night to eat and I'm assuming that the orange and white what does too.. I talked to the black and white one and at times he has he treats out of my hands and that he licks my hand got the same time he cowers away in the corner and sometimes hisses and growls. At that moment I go away. I have bought laser lights, a scratch Tower, a scratch bored as well as string toys and balls with bells. I have resigned the fact that this might be too overwhelming for I don't know how they were with their original Mom nobody knows. I guess my only question is will this end or could this end.
How from South Jersey please.

Attachments

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how long have you had them? I had a cat that hid for about at least two weeks would only sneak out to eat or use litter box. it might take weeks or months for them to adjust to a new surounding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gatorgirlsj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little more than 2 weeks

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor boys. I am sure that losing their owner, spending time at a scary shelter and then going to a new home has been a traumatic thing for them. They could have been the most pampered, spoiled and loved pets and would still be hiding in this situation. But it is good that they have each other and that one is already trying to come out. And since there are no other pets they are probably both out exploring while you are sleeping.

But as you are learning, it isn’t always a straight path - cats may be fine one minute and fearful and hissing the next. Gradually he will start to settle down and his brother may start popping out. Move slowly, speak to him softly and let them come out to you. If they get close, slowly extend a hand for him to sniff and hopefully rub up against.

I am confident that this is going to happen. Please keep us posted on their progress.

Gatorgirlsj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor boys. I am sure that losing their owner, spending time at a scary shelter and then going to a new home has been a traumatic thing for them. They could have been the most pampered, spoiled and loved pets and would still be hiding in this situation. But it is good that they have each other and that one is already trying to come out. And since there are no other pets they are probably both out exploring while you are sleeping.

But as you are learning, it isn’t always a straight path - cats may be fine one minute and fearful and hissing the next. Gradually he will start to settle down and his brother may start popping out. Move slowly, speak to him softly and let them come out to you. If they get close, slowly extend a hand for him to sniff and hopefully rub up against.

I am confident that this is going to happen. Please keep us posted on their progress.

Gatorgirlsj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I'm trying to do this from my tablet and it's giving me a heartache. I think you for all your kind words and it does lift my spirits to know that I am not doing anything wrong that they've been through a lot and I will keep you updated thank you so much again

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like you've created a wonderful space for them with good food, litterbox space, and toys. Lucky kitties to have found such a good home. :)

I agree with the other posters. Two weeks isn't a lot of time to adjust. Just keep doing what you're doing--they'll come around. :agree:

Gatorgirlsj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like you've created a wonderful space for them with good food, litterbox space, and toys. Lucky kitties to have found such a good home. :)

I agree with the other posters. Two weeks isn't a lot of time to adjust. Just keep doing what you're doing--they'll come around. :agree: