If You Were Transplanted.....

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steventon and Bath, England. Memoir of Jane Austen on the Gutenberg Project.

Just wondering if you're watching "JAMESTOWN" on PBS? It's excellent. Pretty raw at times, but riveting.

I didn't like that. Not very historically accurate. But if it takes the shine off the Pilgrims, I guess it's okay.

I've got The Last Kingdom about King Alfred of England coming from Netflix. It was highly recommended by my son for its historical accuracy. I just can't read or watch anything that distorts history. Call me a nerd if you wish.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steventon and Bath, England. Memoir of Jane Austen on the Gutenberg Project.

I didn't like that. Not very historically accurate. But if it takes the shine off the Pilgrims, I guess it's okay.

I've got The Last Kingdom about King Alfred of England coming from Netflix. It was highly recommended by my son for its historical accuracy. I just can't read or watch anything that distorts history. Call me a nerd if you wish.
I'm a nerd, too, but IMHO it depends on who's doing the writing/talking, which version of "history" is "accurate". I like the way it shows people as being very much the same then -- mean, violent, lying, conniving, manipulative, sneaky, etc. and also, in some instances, brave and thoughtful and considerate -- as they are now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried it. I does look raw!
Yeah. Not for the squeamish. But it is excellent IMHO, very good acting and beautiful cinematography. It was filmed in Hungary. There are "making of" and interview clips at the end of the episodes, which I usually don't like but these are fascinating.