If I Should Adopt The Tnr Cat In Front Of Our Door?

melancholy1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a feral cat (I think she is a TNR cat because she has been ear tipped) always lying in front our door. I regularly feed her everyday. I have an indoor cat who interacts with the feral one very well, although always behind the window. The feral one, she is very pretty, I like her very much, and I believe my indoor cat does, too.
Now this is my issue, I am a little hesitated to take her home, because I really concern about her health issue, although she looks in a very good condition. And another problem prevents me from taking her home is that she is afraid of people, I can only pet her when she is eating.
I think you experienced guys could give me some advice, such as what I should do before taking her inside, what kind of test she has to get, and how to socialize her (with human and another cat
)etc...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is a cutie, based on her coloring I would expect her to be on the younger side. Pointed cats tend to get darker as they age so either shes been indoors during bad weather or she hasn't seen many winters. Either way, I don't think there would be a huge issue bringing her in. Given how relaxed she seems in the photos I would think her socialization would go along fairly quickly. Given how well fed she looks I wouldn't be surprised if she gets food elsewhere or is a pet cat (some people will claim feral and allow eartipping for a reduced cost spay/neuter). So I would put up signs in the neighborhood and ask around.

I would get a live trap from a local rescue/shelter (many will rent or loan them). Once you catch her, place her in a bathroom in your home and go from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melancholy1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a cutie, based on her coloring I would expect her to be on the younger side. Pointed cats tend to get darker as they age so either shes been indoors during bad weather or she hasn't seen many winters. Either way, I don't think there would be a huge issue bringing her in. Given how relaxed she seems in the photos I would think her socialization would go along fairly quickly. Given how well fed she looks I wouldn't be surprised if she gets food elsewhere or is a pet cat (some people will claim feral and allow eartipping for a reduced cost spay/neuter). So I would put up signs in the neighborhood and ask around.

I would get a live trap from a local rescue/shelter (many will rent or loan them). Once you catch her, place her in a bathroom in your home and go from there.
Thanks very much! I decided to feed her after making sure that she does not belong to anybody, because she rarely goes away from our place. I even made her a little house with a paper box, now she is lying inside it everyday. So my assumption is that she is feral.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd still post signs just to be safe. I know three neighbors who all wanted to adopt my boy and all thought he spent all day at their house. Even though he has a collar it took conversations with each of them to convince them he is well fed and has a home. Turns out he is just an overly friendly cat who likes to visit neighbors and pays attention to their schedules. Silly boy.

But, that aspect aside I'd still say go for it. She seems to want to belong, might as well make it official. I'd get her scanned for a microchip and a basic vet check/shots before doing introductions just to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melancholy1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd still post signs just to be safe. I know three neighbors who all wanted to adopt my boy and all thought he spent all day at their house. Even though he has a collar it took conversations with each of them to convince them he is well fed and has a home. Turns out he is just an overly friendly cat who likes to visit neighbors and pays attention to their schedules. Silly boy.

But, that aspect aside I'd still say go for it. She seems to want to belong, might as well make it official. I'd get her scanned for a microchip and a basic vet check/shots before doing introductions just to be safe.
Thanks very much for reminding! I'll post signs asap, and if no one responses, I'll make her mine ;)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might not be as feral as you think. Once she get's to know you better, she might be tame. I would get her checked out by a vet before you bring her into your house. Then I would keep her in a separate room all by herself for awhile. She may freak out at first, she may never have been an indoor cat or she might surprise you.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a siamese and if you can pet her, she's not feral. She may be a stray or dump. I don't think you even need to use a trap. You could open your door, put tasty food inside and see if she just walks in (confine your other cats to a room). Or you could lure her into a pet carrier with tuna. From what you describe, she will adapt very easily.

Just one word of caution about advertising. Since she's a siamese, several people may want her and say she's theirs. Screen responses carefully.

I love siamese cats. They're outgoing, affectionate, chatty, and very loyal. She'll make a great addition to you household.

In terms of tests, the SNAP test is the standard - - it screens for Leukemia and Feline AIDS. She looks like a very healthy gal. :)

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree not feral but semi feral or shy. She may be only half Siamese but she definitely has Siamese ancestry. I would take her to a vet and if not chipped keep her. If chipped the vet should try to contact the owners. My guess is they are not interested or caring for her well if she does have owners.
Agree about putting her in a safe space once inside your home. Do scent swapping with your current cat, exchange beding etc so they get used to each other’s smells once inside.