If 6-7 Month Old Kitten Finishes Food Really Fast, Should I Feed More?

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got Nova a month ago and she's been pretty fuss-free to feed. I put her on an all-wet diet thanks to this forum's info, and she normally eats 8oz of wet food daily, split into two meals. I rotate many brands and flavours, and she'll usually eat 1/3 of what's freshly put out and then wander off and come back intermittently to graze on the rest, finishing the whole meal over the next 2-3 hours.

Today, I guess she might be hitting a growth spurt or something because she wolfed down her last two meals. It only took her 10 mins to clean the plate each time. Should I keep with the routine of 8oz a day or increase it for now to suit her appetite?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi ssssupernova ssssupernova , you kitty is still very much a kitten at this age. Feed him as much and as often as he can eat. He needs all the nutrients from the wet food to grow and she’s still growing.

It’s ok that she eats and grazed on the balance later if its fine with your schedule and wet food can be left out just good for a few hours before the taste and aroma goes off.
Otherwise, once she finishes eating, clear the dish and wait for the next feed. This way, she’ll get used to scheduled feeding, but again, like I mentioned, if it’s ok with you and it works out for both you and your kitty, then stick to the current set up.

As she approaches her one year, as now, she may eat more but when she’s a year old and onwards, her food intake will taper down. You’ll notice the pattern once she enters adulthood.

So for now, feed her as much as she can eat and you can’t overfeed a kitten.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At her age i would try to make sure she has food available most of the time. She needs the nutrients for proper growth. :) If she seems hungry, feed more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ssssupernova

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have fed her an additional tin before bed and the little hoover finished it in under an hour. Looks like I'll be feeding her more for now!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have fed her an additional tin before bed and the little hoover finished it in under an hour. Looks like I'll be feeding her more for now!
They can eat an amazing amount of food at that age. after the first year to year and a half my guys all slowed down :)