Ideas needed for feral kittens

awiltshire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In September 2022 I found a stray kitten living in a busy parking lot. I started bringing it food in hopes of catching it. It would get pretty close to me - seemed curious so I assumed it had been dumped. I took my cat trap out there and managed to catch a kitten but not the one I was looking for. The one I caught looked very similar to the other so I assumed they were litter mates. I had no plans of keeping them but wanted to get them to a safe place so I contacted the local shelter to see if they had options. They told me they would take them and if they were too wild, they had contacts with barn rescues. So I kept the kitten in a bathroom in my house and spent the next week plus trying to catch the original kitten I had spotted. Thought it was a lost cause but I finally got her to go in the trap. Contacted the shelter who told me that the person I had originally spoken with was incorrect and that they would likely be euthanized. I didn't spend all that effort just to have them killed so I kept them, got them vaccinated and spayed/neutered. I also found out that they are not litter mates - the male was about 6 months old and the female was about 5 months. After a while, and a little help from my daughter's cat, I finally got them to relax enough to allow me to pet them some. Unfortunately they haven't decompressed any, my daughter moved out and took the kitten whisperer cat with her, my 2 other cats don't like the kittens, and my 2 dogs have tried to attack them many times. I have them living in my daughter's old room but really feel like I am doing them a huge disservice in keeping them. They are allowed to roam the house when the dogs are away but I think they end up staying in the room most of the time. They both are visibly stressed anytime I enter the room and I can't imagine it would be much of a life for them to be confined to this room. I don't want to have them put down, all the rescue groups I know are overrun, and I don't want to toss them back outside. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You need to work with your dogs. Even high-prey breeds can be trained. Not that it will help the kittens relax immediately because they won't know the difference for a while, but it will help decrease the chance of accidental bloodshed.
There are ways to introduce cats, but I frankly don't think it matters until the dogs behave better around the youngsters.
Do you have several cat trees around so the kittens have escape routes?

All that said, they are perfectly fine in a room with their things and a couple of windows where they can see out and be entertained. Hang a bird feeder (research so you know how to clean it/maintain it) in their line of sight.

Cat trees and shelves will help them get some exercise. Would they use a cat wheel? I'm seeing one come up for sale every now and then on Nextdoor.com.

I assume their tension with you is because you smell like the dogs. The only viable solution is, as I mentioned, to make sure the dogs are trained to leave the kittens alone, and eventually the kittens will become more calm.

See if they would like cat music. I'm not sure calming plugins are worth the expense here.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) - TheCatSite

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog - TheCatSite
There are some ideas in this article which might help.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite

These cats were probably ferals, but they sound as if they can adapt to a home if you can make some adjustments. I have been a lifelong dog owner and agree that the dogs need to be worked with and that it can be done. Even if the dogs only learn to ignore the cats, that is enough.

I have only ever had ferals as pets, so have had all sorts of personalities from the one who was apparently hoping to become a lap cat to the one who remained somewhat wary in certain situation. One cat years ago was rescued from a garage on the street and another more recently was rescued from an alley. Both were initially put into a room (different houses) and as the introduction period progressed I opened the door so that they could roam the house. Voluntarily, and not from fear, neither ever left "their" room. One actually never set a foot passed the door jamb...my point being that cats can be happy in a smaller space as was said above.

It is a good sign that both liked the cat whisperer cat. Jackson Galaxy calls that a "social bridge" cat and they can be helpful in allowing a more fearful cat to be comfortable. ( I know that you said that cat is not at your house any longer).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe these videos from Kitten Lady will also help:

With my cat Lily I found it took her a full year to settle in. Over the years she slowly became more of an affectionate cat. It was slow progress. But she was mostly happy indoors and getting fed regularly at first.

cat calming music (and/or purring!), feliway spray, catnip, lots can help.

of course, training the dogs is important like mentioned above. Victoria Stillwell may have some ideas there for you to start as well. If you have the ability to reach out to a dog trainer or behaviouralist in your area, that might help you greatly. Especially if the dogs are fine with the other cats, it's a matter of teaching them not to react to the new ones, and re-introductions to your resident cats. (Though, even the kittens seeing you be kind to your cats through the gate is helpful).

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In September 2022 I found a stray kitten living in a busy parking lot. I started bringing it food in hopes of catching it. It would get pretty close to me - seemed curious so I assumed it had been dumped. I took my cat trap out there and managed to catch a kitten but not the one I was looking for. The one I caught looked very similar to the other so I assumed they were litter mates. I had no plans of keeping them but wanted to get them to a safe place so I contacted the local shelter to see if they had options. They told me they would take them and if they were too wild, they had contacts with barn rescues. So I kept the kitten in a bathroom in my house and spent the next week plus trying to catch the original kitten I had spotted. Thought it was a lost cause but I finally got her to go in the trap. Contacted the shelter who told me that the person I had originally spoken with was incorrect and that they would likely be euthanized. I didn't spend all that effort just to have them killed so I kept them, got them vaccinated and spayed/neutered. I also found out that they are not litter mates - the male was about 6 months old and the female was about 5 months. After a while, and a little help from my daughter's cat, I finally got them to relax enough to allow me to pet them some. Unfortunately they haven't decompressed any, my daughter moved out and took the kitten whisperer cat with her, my 2 other cats don't like the kittens, and my 2 dogs have tried to attack them many times. I have them living in my daughter's old room but really feel like I am doing them a huge disservice in keeping them. They are allowed to roam the house when the dogs are away but I think they end up staying in the room most of the time. They both are visibly stressed anytime I enter the room and I can't imagine it would be much of a life for them to be confined to this room. I don't want to have them put down, all the rescue groups I know are overrun, and I don't want to toss them back outside. Does anyone have any suggestions?
TYSM for caring about these little ones! and doing the right thing for them. Yes, most ACCs/humane societies/shelters DO NOT keep ferals. Taking them there is the worst possible thing. alleycat.org is Alley Cat Allies' (the national/global database for all things "cat," especially feral/unhoused cat) site and has many, many informative, helpful links. Please visit them.
A room is not bad if these two are friendly with one anothr or at least non-combative. If you can build UP, i.e., supply them with one or more tall structures like cat trees/activity centers, and they have at least one window to look out of, plus some well-made toys if possible, one or more scratching pads/posts, soft place(s) to relax and sleep, a well-maintained litterbox, and fresh, clean water and food, plus daily visits from you, they should, in time, calm down when they know they can trust you.
We are in kitten season now; most shelters are full and then some. If you CAN keep them, please, please do. Visit Alley Cat Allies' site and the others recommended by other posters. Please keep us informed. And again, THANK YOU so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awiltshire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have little interaction with the dogs since being moved into their larger room. The dogs do sometimes go up there but we try to keep them apart. One of the dogs actually likes cats, the other is just a lunatic. She lives peacefully with my other cats - I think she reacts to these because they are aggressive with her.

The kittens have a twin bed, cat tree, window, clean litter box and ton of toys BUT one of them has started tearing up the sheetrock in the room so it makes me more stressed that I am making a bad choice. Things were so much happier for them when my daughter's cats were here. :(

I'm not giving up them and I definitely don't want them to die. I will check out the sites and videos everyone provided. Thanks!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have little interaction with the dogs since being moved into their larger room. The dogs do sometimes go up there but we try to keep them apart. One of the dogs actually likes cats, the other is just a lunatic. She lives peacefully with my other cats - I think she reacts to these because they are aggressive with her.

The kittens have a twin bed, cat tree, window, clean litter box and ton of toys BUT one of them has started tearing up the sheetrock in the room so it makes me more stressed that I am making a bad choice. Things were so much happier for them when my daughter's cats were here. :(

I'm not giving up them and I definitely don't want them to die. I will check out the sites and videos everyone provided. Thanks!
Can you put something on/against the areas where they're scratching, like *💡:idea:* some vertical scratching pads? You can get these at any "pet" supply venue including Petco, petco(dot)com, CatClaws(dot)com, etc. And DEFINITELY keep the "lunatic" dog away from the kittens!!!

Tuxedo2002

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a method I use, put your cat/kitten into a pet carrier. and let your dogs investigate the cat allow them to do this for as long as your can be patient for. repeat this several times atleast 4. I did this when I got kittens before my dogs actually are great around cats, although it can not be said for an aggressive stray kitten scares my dogs. forcing interaction can allow the anxiety to decrease. cats generally fight each other when they first meet each other it is a sort of right of passage, i can remember my cats howling and hissing when i brought two kittens home and even fighting them and scratching them up a bit and a week later they were sleeping all cuddled up like a family.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are highly intelligent, very sensitive mammals. Some experts believe they are more sensitive than humans, and I certainly agree with them. Putting kittens in a cage and letting dogs loose around them is guaranteed to stress the kittens and might even result in irreparable harm to them due to the stress factor.