Ideas For Cat Enclosure After Surgery

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a beautiful calico kitty who we just found out has cancer. She has a soft tissue sarcoma. Because of it's location, size and rather rapid growth we have decided the best way to address it is to amputate her leg. Drastic, but we don't want to have to put her through one surgery to cut out the tumor only to find out that some was missed and we have to go back in.

We are a multi.. multi cat household and we don't have a room we can isolate her in so I'm thinking that a large enclosure in our living room would be our best bet. Any ideas on something that would be large enough that her litter wouldn't be right on top of her bed and sturdy enough for when the other little monsters get curious?

I'm thinking about a very large dog crate. In the past I've butted two medium dog crates together to get such room.

any other ideas?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think amputation sounds drastic for the cause and I would do the exact same thing. Vets have started injecting vaccines on limbs because they can be amputated in cases of bad reactions and growths. Hopefully, the cancer hasn't spread and she recovers swiftly.

As to your question, when my boy was on cage rest we had him in a large dog kennel with a litter box, food and water. Part of his recovery was limited mobility so we didn't want anything bigger. I know I have seen foster parents use large cloth kennels with netted tops for kittens/moms (OxGord Portable Pet Playpen). We ended up putting a hanging toy from the top so he had a toy and cleaning his cage out frequently. Mostly because he is a neat freak and yelled at us after every litter box use to clean it. We kept a stack of towels nearby to change the towel we used to line the bottom and used carrier beds as a bed in the kennel for him. Within a few days he didn't want to go back in the kennel after it was cleaned so we let him hang out in the carrier and would carry him around the house with us. A few times he even took naps with the other cats, him in his carrier and them on the bed next to it. We bought a cheap litter box that fit within the kennel and used a heat gun to melt and round one side so he could get in and out of it with the cast. That may or may not be a need in your case. From what I have heard cats who have an amputation are mobile fairly quickly.

I definitely encourage doing cage rest for the entire time your vet tells you.

20161214_060627.jpg
20161215_191933.jpg
20161224_085659.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the posts :D I was thinking about the playpen but I'm sure the other cats would end up landing on top of it. I'm not sure a netted top would keep them out and her in at that point. We've decided on a large dog crate. This should give her lots of room for her recuperation period. I like your set up :) I hope your little guy fully recovered!

We know that this gives her the best chance we can. So far it doesn't look like the Cancer has spread. We're scared but hopeful. We've been reading and researching and planning the adjustments that will need to be made to assist her. We're just going to do the best we can and love her as much as we can and hopefully, have a cancer free kitty when we're finished.

Thank you!

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the posts :D I was thinking about the playpen but I'm sure the other cats would end up landing on top of it. I'm not sure a netted top would keep them out and her in at that point. We've decided on a large dog crate. This should give her lots of room for her recuperation period. I like your set up :) I hope your little guy fully recovered!

We know that this gives her the best chance we can. So far it doesn't look like the Cancer has spread. We're scared but hopeful. We've been reading and researching and planning the adjustments that will need to be made to assist her. We're just going to do the best we can and love her as much as we can and hopefully, have a cancer free kitty when we're finished.

Thank you!
They have wire tops for the x-pens (you can get them on Amazon) that are sturdy enough a cat can sit on it if they really want. I use it for my rabbits sometimes if I take them outside. If you want to gradually give her more room as she recovers, you may want to consider attaching an x-pen to the dog crate.

This isn't what I have, but I think it may be similar:
MidWest Homes for Pets Exercise Pen Accessories

amazon.com/MidWest-Homes-Pets-Wire-Exercise/dp/B0002H3QX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519240117&sr=8-1&keywords=pen+top&dpID=51TCkSjGGzL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
good to know! thank you!