IBD or colitis

crjones555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has been struggling for about a year in a half with diarrhea issues. Have tried many foods and medications. She has had ultrasounds and it seems to show colitis. Currently she is on budesonide and cerenia. Just started tylosin to the mix a couple days ago to see if it would relieve the cramping after bms and going back to the box once or twice right after as well. She no longer had diarrhea but would still have days where her cramping and multi poos would occure. So far the tyolsin has cause the stools to soften and most poos are still followed by cramping and multipoos. Today is day 5 on tylosin.
My questions:
How long till I see improvement
Has anyone been able to wean them off of it, I hear that it can be hard.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista would have those multi-round poops that usually ended with the later rounds being deposited on the carpet and the whole affair culminating in a vomit. In her case, she was having an incomplete remission from GI lymphoma. Her nightly prednisilone pill was wrapped in a trigger food (fish flakes) and that was keeping her gut inflammation smoldering. When we were forced to switch to transdermal prednisilone--when the final trigger food was removed from her diet--the poop nonsense was finally solved and the remission happened nearly overnight.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that there is still some dietary component that originally caused all this inflammation that is still working against all the medications. If you can identify what that/those trigger(s) are and eliminate them, perhaps her poop nonsense will finally be solved.

Others can give you the other advice such as Miralax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crjones555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Krista would have those multi-round poops that usually ended with the later rounds being deposited on the carpet and the whole affair culminating in a vomit. In her case, she was having an incomplete remission from GI lymphoma. Her nightly prednisilone pill was wrapped in a trigger food (fish flakes) and that was keeping her gut inflammation smoldering. When we were forced to switch to transdermal prednisilone--when the final trigger food was removed from her diet--the poop nonsense was finally solved and the remission happened nearly overnight.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that there is still some dietary component that originally caused all this inflammation that is still working against all the medications. If you can identify what that/those trigger(s) are and eliminate them, perhaps her poop nonsense will finally be solved.

Others can give you the other advice such as Miralax.
Thank you. I just use a tiny bit of the same wet food that her dry is. I've tired wetting her dry to see if it was the wet and no big difference. The selected protie. RC rabbit dry is the best she's been on. All others cause explosive diarrhea, definitely wet food. I did a food allergy test for her as well and the dry came back clear of allergens. I also did a fecal gut biome. There's an overload of bad bacteria. Im thinking that's the cause for this issue. I've been giving her probiotics but her good bacteria is still low. My hope is that the tylosin flushes out the bad

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been biopsied to rule out GI lymphoma? Is she maintaining her weight? I say in the absence of a biopsy, the single best predictor of whether you're dealing with IBD or lymphoma is whether she can gain or maintain her weight. If she's losing weight regardless of how much she eats, that's a strong indicator that it may actually be lymphoma.

If you already know about gut biome testing, I highly recommend putting her on a course (or ongoing courses) of AnimalBiome's Gut Restore Supplement. My Betty had huge imbalances. One month didn't correct them all. But I can definitely see many of the strains moving in the right direction. Her appetite, her nausea, and her hairballs greatly improved while she was taking them. Then I gave her a few weeks break while waiting on the "after" test report and her fussiness and hairballs returned. I finally got the "after" report and saw that while there was improvement, she could definitely use another month. We have started another month on Saturday. As long as these pills keep her hairballs (mostly) under control, I'd rather she take these than steroids. She will have her endoscopy and biopsies on Wednesday this week. Finally! I have been keeping her in a less than ideal holding pattern with meds and foods I don't want her eating for the long-term. But it's been keeping her mostly stable from where we were two months ago waiting for the internist appointment that felt like forever to get here. Now that we're nearly to a diagnosis (or at least a diagnosis of exclusion, e.g. ruled out everything else), I feel like we may finally be able to take her out of this holding pattern and try better foods and less meds. But that has only been possible due to the relief and biome corrections she is getting from the Gut Restore (poop pills.)
Restore the Microbiome – AnimalBiome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crjones555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My reply didn't post for some reason?

Yes she's had ultrasounds. Next thing to try will be the fecal pills. Just waiting for her dr to return. Now on day 6 of tylosin. No improvement yet. Actually seems a bit worse. Not sure of I should continue