IBD & Mesalamine

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since Mesalamine is used to treat human varieites of colitis, has anyone used this to treat IBD in their cat? My vet said that he won't prescribe it because it hasn't been proven enough in cats yet. Any people I know taking it-it was a Godsend to them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I did not put articles here for you to read, as you probably have read them already since you are asking this question. It seems that (from the ones I read) that there is not enough clinical evidence for the use of the drug, only anecdotal evidence. That is why your vet won't prescribe it. Where to go from here? Other vets although I don't know that you will sell any of them on this. It appeared to be more commonly used with certain breeds of dogs, but it was pretty slim with cats. As for toxicology studies, in both rats and dogs it lead to renal necrosis. I am certainly not telling you how to proceed with your cat, but I would look into side effects as many drugs do not translate from dogs or cats to humans.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you considered asking your vet to consult with a vet university or specialty vet to see if there might be any clinical trials going on with Mesalamine and cats? It may not pan out, but certainly can't hurt to ask. Some vet universities and/or specialty vets might answer basic questions without the help of your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you considered asking your vet to consult with a vet university or specialty vet to see if there might be any clinical trials going on with Mesalamine and cats? It may not pan out, but certainly can't hurt to ask. Some vet universities and/or specialty vets might answer basic questions without the help of your vet.
That's a good reminder. I had researched on-going trials for something else, but my kitty has had some health changes since then, so I will research again and see what trials are going on. Thanks again for that reminder!