IBD food issues

ragdollamour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my cat has been diagnosed with IBD, he is on prednisone, but still not eating. I have been syringe feeding him but he does not want to eat anything on his own. He wants to have his old food as when I take it out for my other cat he cries out. Can anyone share how they managed with their IBD cat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has he been on the pred? b/c I find it really does work, just takes a bit to kick in. I find wet food is best, with limited ingredients.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ragdollamour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has he been on the pred? b/c I find it really does work, just takes a bit to kick in. I find wet food is best, with limited ingredients.
He's been on predisolone for a week. he seems better just not eating anything. I am syringe feeding him with turkey and pumpkin. The vet advised the commercial gastrointestinal diet but I feel no confidence to try it.

ragdollamour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Welcome!
Can you talk to your vet about an appetite stimulant? B12?

If you haven't had a chance to look at these, there might be something that helps;

Inflammatory Bowel Disease In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

IBD food that tastes good --note the three links to different sites in post #2

Best wet foods without thickeners for IBD cat?

Minimally Processed Natural Cat Food Archives | RAWZ
Yes he has Mirtazapine and B12 too. he is feeling better but not eating. I am trying mono protein diets but he doesn't like anything.

ragdollamour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn't like the new mono protein food I am giving him so I end up syringe feeding him with home made pumpkin and turkey. Its getting very stressful for me now. He was such a happy cat.