IBD & Constant Vomiting

Forrest94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,
I really need some help here as I feel so utterly helpless for my cat. Poop (Siamese, age 7) has been vomiting constantly for almost three months now. What started as “maybe an ulcer” developed to an IBD diagnosis last Saturday.
I love my vet, but I feel like I’m getting absolutely nowhere. I live in a small (albeit densely populated) town in Texas and my vet is the only walk-in option and the other vets are booked months in advance. The earliest appointment I have booked in the first week of October.
Onto my cat — she can’t stop vomiting; almost daily now. With the IBD diagnosis, the vet prescribed Hills d/d food and my cat is eating it (begrudgingly). The vomiting came back three days after she started it. Last Saturday, she got a Cerenia shot, prednisone shot, Convenia shot as the treatment for the official IBD diagnosis. It worked but only for three days.
That’s pretty much all my vet keeps doing - those three shots. We’ve done multiple bloodwork panels and X-rays and my cat is fine. She acts fine daily, goes to bathroom just fine, and eats and drinks water just fine too. The vomit is usually only just bile. She’ll even play immediately after vomiting too. She’s fine, just the vomiting. She’s nauseous all the time too. The lip licking and lip smacking is a 24/7 thing. We tried 1/4 of a 10mg Famotidine tablet and nothing, the vomiting never stopped. Another thing — I’m not sure if it’s relevant — is that I take care of my grandparents. They’re incontinent and have Alzheimer’s and as a result some of their clothing can be smelly. They just take it off and leave it on the floor wherever they are. If I don’t pick it up immediately, my cat LOVES to smell the stinky stuff, and that usually ramps up the vomiting like crazy. As a result, I’ve kept her confined to my room (food and water and litter box are all here). She does manage to sneak out from my room when I forget to close the door.
I feel so helpless and so bad that I can’t make my cat feel better. Does anyone have any next steps to tell my vet or to do at home? I’ve tried reading online about IBD but there’s just so much information and avenues so I’m really lost. Thanks so much!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, breathe! I would get a second opinion from a different vet. Look to see if there's a cat-only vet in your area and maybe go there. I would ask for Ondansetron for the nausea. My guy takes it daily, usually at night to help him in the morning. He does pretty good without it the rest of the time. You might also consider looking at Adored Beast Gut Soothe. It's expensive, but it has helped my boy. He wasn't vomiting, though. Lastly, you might discuss with the vet a low-dose of prednisolone more long term to see if that helps. Sometimes that is the key for some.

How often are you feeding her? She may need smaller servings more frequently to help with the tummy issue, too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't really help a whole lot, beyond what was posted above, but Cerenia shots only last 24 hours, so if she is not getting those daily, they won't be a lot of help if not repeated, and so the nausea never really is controlled. Covenia injection is a long-acting antibiotic, so I am not sure how that plays much a role in terms of 3 days. Prednisolone injection is also supposed to be longer acting than three days.

Is there a pattern to when she throws up? I ask because you mention she mostly vomits bile and that is often seen when a cat goes too long without eating. Stomach acids build up and irritate the lining of the stomach, which can cause vomiting.

How did they diagnose IBD?

I know you said you read a lot on IBD already, but these two web sites might better serve you. The latter one is related to raw feeding, but it goes way beyond that in terms of information, and most applies to most any case of IBD.
IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats - Feline IBD

I know other members will come along soon with additional information/ideas!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear about your cat, F Forrest94 , and the vet situation in your town.

I echo FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's question about patterns to your cat's vomiting. You said it's bile -- so yellow/orange with no food or very little food in it, right? How long after a meal does she do this? Is she free-fed or do you feed her in meals?

Also: What is your cat's name? :)

I also wonder how they diagnosed the IBD. Was it by ultrasound? I am puzzled that they gave Convenia.

As for suggestions...

When we had a somewhat similar situation with one of our cats last year, giving her slippery elm bark syrup before her meals helped a lot with the nausea. It also helps with inflammation. Just ask if you need proportions. As with your cat, famotidine wasn't very helpful.

You might also consider looking at Adored Beast Gut Soothe. It's expensive, but it has helped my boy. He wasn't vomiting, though
I'm glad stephanietx stephanietx already mentioned Adored Beast's Feline Gut Soothe! We use it for Edwina now, too, and it's great for her. She had surgery last year (they removed inflamed patches from her stomach) and was starting to vomit again, not as badly, though it was troubling, this spring/summer... but then I started her on the Feline Gut Soothe, which has made her more comfortable and less barfy. We've also been using Cerenia tablets on her: if your cat's vomiting so regularly, ask your vet about Cerenia tablets. They don't cure anything but they're very helpful in preventing vomiting while you try to find more permanent solutions, like dietary changes. Like Feline Gut Soothe, they're not cheap but they're worth it.

You mentioned that your cat vomits from smells. I wonder if that might be stressing her? Edwina gets stressed when the weather's hot or there's a lot of noise (chainsaws, chippers, etc.) near our house. Bach's Rescue Remedy drops (pet version, not human version!) help a lot. I recently listened to a holistic vet speak about cats and stress: she said cats like to be in control (which we know!) and noted that weather, including changes in weather, can stress cats a lot. We're learned this year that being ready with Feline Gut Soothe, Cerenia, and Rescue Remedy is a good start for keeping our cat under control -- I hope you're able to find a combination of things to help your cat, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forrest94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, breathe! I would get a second opinion from a different vet. Look to see if there's a cat-only vet in your area and maybe go there. I would ask for Ondansetron for the nausea. My guy takes it daily, usually at night to help him in the morning. He does pretty good without it the rest of the time. You might also consider looking at Adored Beast Gut Soothe. It's expensive, but it has helped my boy. He wasn't vomiting, though. Lastly, you might discuss with the vet a low-dose of prednisolone more long term to see if that helps. Sometimes that is the key for some.

How often are you feeding her? She may need smaller servings more frequently to help with the tummy issue, too.
Hi! Thanks so much for your reply! I’ve gone ahead and ordered the Guy Soothe as I was on the hunt for a good probiotic supplement for my cat. My local Petco only had Fortiflora and last time she hated it, so I thank you! :)

Forrest94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I can't really help a whole lot, beyond what was posted above, but Cerenia shots only last 24 hours, so if she is not getting those daily, they won't be a lot of help if not repeated, and so the nausea never really is controlled. Covenia injection is a long-acting antibiotic, so I am not sure how that plays much a role in terms of 3 days. Prednisolone injection is also supposed to be longer acting than three days.

Is there a pattern to when she throws up? I ask because you mention she mostly vomits bile and that is often seen when a cat goes too long without eating. Stomach acids build up and irritate the lining of the stomach, which can cause vomiting.

How did they diagnose IBD?

I know you said you read a lot on IBD already, but these two web sites might better serve you. The latter one is related to raw feeding, but it goes way beyond that in terms of information, and most applies to most any case of IBD.
IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats - Feline IBD

I know other members will come along soon with additional information/ideas!
Initially, the vet thought it was a stomach ulcer but Poop wasn’t responding to the treatment. The initial shots were baytril-dexamethasone-b12 combo shot, Convenia, and Reglan. So after X-ray of her stomach and thyroid panel and more blood exams (pancreas levels too) all came back normal, he said it’s IBD.

Usually, she’d vomit in the morning time. Almost exclusively but now that I’ve tried the new Hills food, it’s random. She free feeds as shes Always been a slow grazer and never ever entirely finished an entire bowl. I have one of those puzzle feeders too. And thank you so much for the links!! Way better than the ones I was reading.

Forrest94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear about your cat, F Forrest94 , and the vet situation in your town.

I echo FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's question about patterns to your cat's vomiting. You said it's bile -- so yellow/orange with no food or very little food in it, right? How long after a meal does she do this? Is she free-fed or do you feed her in meals?

Also: What is your cat's name? :)

I also wonder how they diagnosed the IBD. Was it by ultrasound? I am puzzled that they gave Convenia.

As for suggestions...

When we had a somewhat similar situation with one of our cats last year, giving her slippery elm bark syrup before her meals helped a lot with the nausea. It also helps with inflammation. Just ask if you need proportions. As with your cat, famotidine wasn't very helpful.

I'm glad stephanietx stephanietx already mentioned Adored Beast's Feline Gut Soothe! We use it for Edwina now, too, and it's great for her. She had surgery last year (they removed inflamed patches from her stomach) and was starting to vomit again, not as badly, though it was troubling, this spring/summer... but then I started her on the Feline Gut Soothe, which has made her more comfortable and less barfy. We've also been using Cerenia tablets on her: if your cat's vomiting so regularly, ask your vet about Cerenia tablets. They don't cure anything but they're very helpful in preventing vomiting while you try to find more permanent solutions, like dietary changes. Like Feline Gut Soothe, they're not cheap but they're worth it.

You mentioned that your cat vomits from smells. I wonder if that might be stressing her? Edwina gets stressed when the weather's hot or there's a lot of noise (chainsaws, chippers, etc.) near our house. Bach's Rescue Remedy drops (pet version, not human version!) help a lot. I recently listened to a holistic vet speak about cats and stress: she said cats like to be in control (which we know!) and noted that weather, including changes in weather, can stress cats a lot. We're learned this year that being ready with Feline Gut Soothe, Cerenia, and Rescue Remedy is a good start for keeping our cat under control -- I hope you're able to find a combination of things to help your cat, too.
My cat’s name is Poop 😆 it’s an endearing nickname that unfortunately stuck. I’ve had cats all my life since I was a child and she was the only one that took me SO long to litter box train. She hated the box so much and for the longest time used puppy pads ONLY placed in the corner of the restroom. She’d neatly sandwich it all together after she’d be done, lol! She uses the litter box now but that’s where her name came from.

But yes, almost always green-yellow bile. Usually, before her meals. She free feeds and slowly grazes the food bowl throughout the day. She’s never one to eat a whole food bowl.I have her on a puzzle feeder too.

The vet diagnosed IBD after a few rounds of blood tests and X-rays and seeing as she wasn’t responding to the originally speculated diagnosis (stomach ulcer). My vet always gives Convenia. Is it bad? She’s gotten maybe like 3 or 4 shots of them within the last couple months. He just tells me it’s a “broad spectrum antibiotic”

I went ahead and ordered the Gut Soothe and saw that it has slippery elm in it so hopefully it does Poop some good. Now that you mention about the stress, this all started when the heat in Texas ramped up like crazy. Temps went as high as 117 and of course our AC and refrigerator broke at the same time. So we were extra hot for a few days while I got them replaced and serviced. That’s when it all started but now the house is always cool but the problems stuck. I’m going to ask for some take home pills or liquids for her while I get it sorted out. She’s a nightmare to pill but I’ll gladly do it to help her out. Thanks so much!!

Forrest94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here’s a pic of my beautiful Poop ❤❤ also, does anyone have any food recommendations for IBD? She doesn’t seem to really like Hills d/d (we’ve tried both flavors available) was gonna ask about z/d but I really don’t know. Thanks again!!
IMG_0515.png

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful cat Poop is! I don't know how I forgot her name as I read... And what a story about how she acquired it! (I had a wonderful cat named The Wretch, who got her name because of poop and that was also a nickname that stuck so I understand why Poop is Poop!)

Our vet told us that Siamese cats tend to get a lot of digestive ailments... Our two cats are Siamese mixes and Edwina has certainly proven the vet right!

I'm glad you ordered the Gut Soothe, it's great stuff and may be all the more helpful after the Convenia since antibiotics can be harmful for the gut flora. Convenia apparently stays in a cat's system for some time, which makes me especially the vet would give it so frequently. That seems unusual, particularly since there was no diagnosis of an infection, right?

As for diet, what was Poop eating before the Hill's food? Was it the same food she was eating before the trouble started? Does she eat wet or dry food? Figuring out food sensitivities can take a fair but of trial and error but it can be done! We feed Edwina a lot of homemade food to avoid thickeners and fillers.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First im sorry Poop and you are going through thjs hard time..
I also want to say you are amazing. Taking care of your grandparents is not an easy job. Not many people have it in them to take care of family members and you are doing what you can for them and taking care of your little lady. Taking care of anyone with alzheimers is very hard, very time consuming, and you have to be very mindful, kind, patient, etc. It is a very delicate job for sure. It takes a special person to be able to do what you are doing for your grandparents. You altruly are an amazing person with your hands full.

On to Poop, first and foremost she is absolutely gorgeous... I agree if the famotidine isn't working ask your vet for Ondansetron also known as Zofran.
All I can do is echo everything that has been mentioned above. Do you know if you have a feline only vet in your immediate or surrounding areas?
I love how your little girls name is Poop lol idk why but I love it.

Terri Moore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty is 13 years old. I noticed she was losing weight and not eating much. She would throw up every day, sometimes food, sometimes hairballs, sometimes bile. Nothing would stay down! Took her to the vet who gave her the same 3 shots you mentioned. They did no good after a few days. Bloodwork looked great, nothing wrong in the xrays. As of now, she takes prednisolone and cerenia every day. Some days I am so encouraged as she eats good (I bought Cat Chow Gentle out of desperation) and she seems to like it. Her stools are good, and her fur is so soft and healthy looking. Then on other days, she hides out and sleeps all day. She also looks a little off balance. It's like a roller coaster ride, since she's now starting to throw up again, even on the cerenia.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty is 13 years old. I noticed she was losing weight and not eating much. She would throw up every day, sometimes food, sometimes hairballs, sometimes bile. Nothing would stay down! Took her to the vet who gave her the same 3 shots you mentioned. They did no good after a few days. Bloodwork looked great, nothing wrong in the xrays. As of now, she takes prednisolone and cerenia every day. Some days I am so encouraged as she eats good (I bought Cat Chow Gentle out of desperation) and she seems to like it. Her stools are good, and her fur is so soft and healthy looking. Then on other days, she hides out and sleeps all day. She also looks a little off balance. It's like a roller coaster ride, since she's now starting to throw up again, even on the cerenia.
What is your cat eating, T Terri Moore ? What had you been feeding her? And is she still eating the Cat Chow Gentle? We've seen improvements (usually pretty quickly) after taking certain ingredients out of our cats' diet. They have a bunch of sensitivities so we feed them the simplest wet foods possible, with lots of meat and very low carbs.

How long as she been on the Cerenia and prednisolone? If she keeps vomiting despite those, it's worth asking the vet about doing an ultrasound if you haven't already done one. (Unfortunately, it seems like there are huge variations in the cost of ultrasounds: some offices will bring in a vet to do ultrasounds fairly inexpensively but others refer patients to expensive clinics. We were very lucky to have the inexpensive version, with an excellent ultrasound vet, at our regular vet's office.)

I mentioned above that the weather, noise, and other stress affect our cat a lot: if she's out on the screened porch in hot or windy weather, and there's a lot of noise, there's a very high risk that she'll barf. Keeping her away from stressors helps a lot, as do Rescue Remedy (pet version, not human version) drops. There are also stress-reducing "chews" that some cats will eat like treats. Feliway helps some cats, too, though we can't use the plug-ins because one of our cats has asthma. Your vet might have calming options available.

Aimee&Benji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going through this. My cat Benji and I are new to IBD/Pancreatitis diagnosis so given your cat's symptoms and our own journey; this is what I learned. I know every cat is different so grain of salt.

You cannot fully diagnose IBD without an ultrasound. I know they can be expensive as the diagnostic process usually is to figure things out. Once you have a clearer diagnosis, the meds aren't too pricey, but everyone has a different situation. I recommend asking for a referral for an ultrasound so they can see where if any inflammation exists in your kitty's GI system. From there, they will usually see any thickening of tissue which is what happens with IBD and is the cause of the vomiting and/or diarrhea. From there, you can continue with treatment (usually with Prednisolone & anti-emetics and sometimes pain meds). You have an option of a next step which would be a biopsy to differentiate whether the inflammation is IBD or Lymphoma. Most people opt out of biopsies as they can do more harm than good. Esophageal biopsies are less invasive than surgical ones if you decide to go that route. Most people also opt out of biopsies because the different in treatment is minor. If it is small cell lymphoma, they usually go to prescribe Chlorambucil as a chemo treatment. Otherwise, they still treat with Prednisolone.

My cat Benji was diagnosed with IBD and possible pancreatitis with an ultrasound. We are currently managing his symptoms with daily Prednisolone (5mg), Zofran (Ondansetron) because Cerenia did not really agree/work with my cat, and Buprenorphine to manage any pain from pancreatitis. We are to continue this until his symptoms go away and then hopefully wean him slowly off Prednisolone. He was vomiting every day too but it was always a mix of either a hairball, bile, or food.

I hope this gives you a little more clarity. Also, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. It can be a huge learning curve and extremely mentally and emotionally taxing/draining constantly cleaning up after your kitty and worrying about them. I recommend joining the "IBD Kitties" facebook group. It has been such a valuable resource for us. We are only 2+ weeks into this new diagnosis but are trying to learn and figure out what works! xoxo

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Convenia or any other antibiotic should not be givin unless absolulty nessesary. The provlem is the microbes within the body develop a resistance to them. Antibiotic restant infections are extremly hard to get rid of.