I Worry About What Will Happen To My Cats

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may be morbid to think about but I am worried about what will happen to my cats if/when something happens to me. I'm basically alone. I don't have any relatives or know anyone I'd call a"friend." I'm not that advanced in age but a lot of diseases run in my family.
I'm really concerned about what will happen to my cats. I don't want them to end up in a shelter. Sometimes I think I should try to rehome them before anything happens. Obviously, I would be devastated but maybe it would be for the best, long-term. I've really wanted to get a sog but have been procrastinating for the same reason.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think we've talked about this on the board before. My stance is that you need to make a plan. It's important, not only for the well-being of your cats, but also for your own peace of mind.

A few years ago, we revised our will to say that "Any and all cats in our possession" will go to my sister should anything happen to us. We set money aside for their care, too, because it's not fair to my sister to have to take care of our kids without something to help her (she has seven cats of her own). Anything that might be leftover from the money, once the kids are gone, she can either keep or donate to a no-kill shelter in our cats' names; that choice is up to her. We had a long talk about it and she agreed. And she'll do her best. We have five cats and Rick and I have agreed that as our cats pass away, we will not be getting other cats as it's not fair to my sister.

If you don't have anybody you consider a close friend or relative, you might want to consider a no-kill shelter in your area and put something in your will or draw up some kind of paper so that people will know your wishes concerning your cats. I know it's not something we want to think about -- and yeah, it's morbid -- but it's also important. If you don't have anything in writing, the cats could end up anywhere. And you don't want that either.

We have dealt with both a cat and a dog, simply because nobody knew what to do and nobody else would step up. We have my mother's cat, Muffin, who came to live with us when my mother went into a nursing home. And we have Jackie, Rick's dad's elderly beagle, because nobody else in the family would do anything about her either.

I don't know how old you are or the state of your health (and it's none of my business), but I don't know if it matters either. Young people pass away, too. And it may be just me, but I think it's vital that you have some idea for their care. And even if you draw something up today, if your life changes, you can always revise the paperwork.

One of my co-workers is the proud papa to two gorgeous boys and he doesn't know what to do either. He's already asked me to take them, if anything happens to him and I had to turn him down. With the five we have now and the dog, it's simply too much. He's still trying to figure out what to do. He's a good 16 years younger than me, but he has diabetes and cholesterol problems, so he worries. It's a hard thing to figure out.

I probably wasn't much help to you, but I wish you the best with your decisions. I know how difficult this is.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some rescues/sanctuaries have a special program that you signs your pets up for, where you leave them a specific amount in your will and they'll provide lifetime care for your pet(s). Or you can pick the option of letting the rescue adopt them out, depending on what you think you think is best for your pet. You'll need to have a local lawyer draw up the papers, and arrange with a local animal rescue for transport (if the one you sign up for isn't local).

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have thought about this as well. I am 61 and both of my cats will be 14 this year. I know I probably won't be adopting anymore cats. If I were to adopt it would be a very senior cat that is sitting in a shelter with little to no hope of being adopted.

I won't rehome the two that I have now. One has chronic health issues along with being a senior.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have three young cats I had from the cat protection (I live in the uk). They have a scheme called cat guardian where they will collect my cats in the event of my dying before them. I have written a little about each one, age, personality, what type of home would suit them best, with or withour other animals, kids etc and there is a copy with my will. Find out if there is a similar scheme near you or at least write a little about each one so they can be found another home best suited to them. It might give you a little peace of mind.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm in the same situation as Winchester Winchester My sister will take our tribe if anything happens to us, and we've set aside money for her to help with their care. There are some sanctuaries as W Willowy mentioned that will take on lifetime care of pets for a fee.