I Wasn't Sad Enough.

Catvivid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Coco passed. It's a long time ago, but I didn't feel sad enough when she passed. I was like "What?", but not even crying. I was about nine or ten back then. I was actually partly relieved because she had kittens, and we had to lock them out to feed Coco because she always gave them all. I was relieved about her death! That's terrible of me! I didn't think much about this until I saw the other posts here, where people are unbelievably sad, and I was relieved! I loved her, it's not that, and I of course was sad, and didn't want her to die, but.. Yeah. Rest in peace, Coco.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chidren do not fully understand the concept of death until they are much older than you were at the time. They realize that one is missing, that they will never see them again, but they truly don't understand the finality of it until they are old enough to have abstract thinking. And then, as I have found out in my advancing years, they mature into thinking, "I WILL die someday, i'm not the invincible that youth led me to believe".
Even with my great love of all things cat, I, too, have been releived when some of them have died. Especially when they have suffered greatly. Some that showed up abandoned and starving, or born unwanted in the fields, I wondered how I was going to feed them, how I could possibly give them what they needed. When they died on the road, I felt horrible. But I did what I could at the time. i desperately tried to find them homes through advertising, I spayed and neutered them all, but trying to find a home for a cat is like trying to give away the plague. Only the very lucky find love and care in their lives.....
That precious Coco, had a home and knew love. That is really all she needed. Now that you think of her, and are sorry for your feelings and actions when you were young, that is the greatest gift you could give her. She will always have a place in your heart. She will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. talk to her, tell her what she really meant to you and how you feel now, she will hear you, she always will......RIP beautidful Coco. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catvivid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chidren do not fully understand the concept of death until they are much older than you were at the time. They realize that one is missing, that they will never see them again, but they truly don't understand the finality of it until they are old enough to have abstract thinking. And then, as I have found out in my advancing years, they mature into thinking, "I WILL die someday, i'm not the invincible that youth led me to believe".
Even with my great love of all things cat, I, too, have been releived when some of them have died. Especially when they have suffered greatly. Some that showed up abandoned and starving, or born unwanted in the fields, I wondered how I was going to feed them, how I could possibly give them what they needed. When they died on the road, I felt horrible. But I did what I could at the time. i desperately tried to find them homes through advertising, I spayed and neutered them all, but trying to find a home for a cat is like trying to give away the plague. Only the very lucky find love and care in their lives.....
That precious Coco, had a home and knew love. That is really all she needed. Now that you think of her, and are sorry for your feelings and actions when you were young, that is the greatest gift you could give her. She will always have a place in your heart. She will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. talk to her, tell her what she really meant to you and how you feel now, she will hear you, she always will......RIP beautidful Coco. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
I knew what death was. I was scared of death, and sometimes the opposite. But I wasn't used to death, that's for sure. I had only experienced a hamster death before that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sweetie, you were NINE or TEN! Even knowing what death is at that age, the full emotional implications just aren't there. You don't have enough life experience at that point to "get it" fully. Remember her with love, and cut yourself a break.