I want this.....

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah. You need one!

It came with a small booklet of Campbell's recipes for use. I don't use much in the way of Cream of Anything soups, so I'm not really interested in the booklet all that much. I may try a couple of them, but I don't know. I used a recipe for Balsamic-Braised Meatloaf from The Great American Slow Cooker Book that I bought a few months ago. 

We had dinner about 30 minutes ago. The recipe said about 8 hours, but it was more like 6 from the time I got the crock pot started until it was done. That was for 2 pounds of ground beef, plus the ingredients, plus the potato wedges and the carrots. It made a nice casserole full. When I tested it, the meatloaf was right at 155 degrees, so with a 15-minute standing time, it would have gone to 160 degrees with no trouble; I didn't re-test it, but I'm sure it wasn't a problem. The crock cleaned up nicely.

The meat loaf did not stick at all and it came out in one piece (Rick makes a better meatloaf than I do; mine tend to break when I'm trying to get them out of the pan). This lifted right out in one piece with no problem.

My only complaint was that it had way too much liquid and I need to remember to cut back next time. That was my fault, not the crock pot's problem. I poured the liquid into my sauce pan and simmered it down to thicken it, so it was no big deal.

I think the casserole is too big for just Rick and me, but in a way, that's probably good, too. I tend to cook for the freezer quite often and this way, I'll have extras for Rick's lunches and for the freezer. A larger family, like yours, Mooch, would probably be perfect for this crock pot.

I don't worry about plugging it in when I'm not home. That's what it's for and I have no worries at all. It has a very short cord, so you'll have to keep it back against the wall very close to a plug. (I can still use it in the basement on top of the washer; the cord will extend that far....but not much farther than that).

I am very pleased and would recommend it! 
 (And did I mention that I got it in Plum?!  
 )
I have found some good recipes on the campbells website in the past; when I was looking for something different for dinner.  I do cook with soups pretty regularly.  

I looked for one in Plum earlier.  I need to check from my desktop because i wasn't seeing it.  It would be very cool if they have one that matches my mixer. 

thank you. My only problem is i can't get tins of creamed soups. Only soup powders of all different flavours.
If you're home all the time then what's the pros!
The pros is dinner is ready when it's dinner time!  The meat is almost always tender.  Soups are full of flavor.  You can pretty much throw things in and go about your day; then have a delicious dinner come evening.  Or breakfast come morning.  My mother also makes apple sauce in her slow cooker.  
@MoochNNoodles

when you say a roast what do you mean and what sort of sauce did you make?
I do beef or pork roasts in the crock pot.  I sometimes use pre-made sauces from different companies.  Cambells is one.  Other times they call for broths and/or your own seasoning.  I'm just not sure what would be available to you.  You'd really have to look at different websites to see if there is something that catches your interest and the ingredients are available to you.  The Betty Crocker website has a section dedicated to slow cooker recipes: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/preparation/slow-cooker-recipes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I looked for one in Plum earlier.  I need to check from my desktop because i wasn't seeing it.  It would be very cool if they have one that matches my mixer. 

The pros is dinner is ready when it's dinner time!  The meat is almost always tender.  Soups are full of flavor.  You can pretty much throw things in and go about your day; then have a delicious dinner come evening.  Or breakfast come morning.  My mother also makes apple sauce in her slow cooker.  

I do beef or pork roasts in the crock pot.  I sometimes use pre-made sauces from different companies.  Cambells is one.  Other times they call for broths and/or your own seasoning.  I'm just not sure what would be available to you.  You'd really have to look at different websites to see if there is something that catches your interest and the ingredients are available to you.  The Betty Crocker website has a section dedicated to slow cooker recipes: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/preparation/slow-cooker-recipes
Oh wow, Mooch, I didn't even think of your mixer! How cool would that be? Target had one in a diagonal black-checkered pattern. I liked it, but I really wanted red. Or blue. Then we went into K-Mart and they had it in Plum. It was $5 more at K-Mart, but.....Plum! 

http://www.kmart.com/crock-pot-cass...W008632354001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 

Mine had a $5 off sticker on it, but it's still more expensive than at Target.

Pork is really good in the crock pot....I make Crock Pot Pulled Pork for sandwiches and that's delicious (Recipe is in the Recipe Exchange). So are some chicken dishes. I just like the idea of being able to come home from work and having dinner pretty much ready. There are nights when I come home and the last thing I even want to think about is what's for supper. 

But even if I didn't work, if I'm going to be busy cleaning about the house or working outside all day long, I still may not want to deal with making dinner. Get it done early, get it in the crock pot, and I'm done dealing with it. It just works out well for us.

@Stewball, if you have powdered soups, you could probably reconstitute the powder with water (or milk....or water and wine) and use it that way.

I have a few cookbooks dedicated to just slow-cooking. Some are just so-so, but some are pretty good. I'll check out the Betty Crocker site....thanks!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh wow, Mooch, I didn't even think of your mixer! How cool would that be? Target had one in a diagonal black-checkered pattern. I liked it, but I really wanted red. Or blue. Then we went into K-Mart and they had it in Plum. It was $5 more at K-Mart, but.....Plum! 

http://www.kmart.com/crock-pot-cass...W008632354001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 

Mine had a $5 off sticker on it, but it's still more expensive than at Target.

Pork is really good in the crock pot....I make Crock Pot Pulled Pork for sandwiches and that's delicious (Recipe is in the Recipe Exchange). So are some chicken dishes. I just like the idea of being able to come home from work and having dinner pretty much ready. There are nights when I come home and the last thing I even want to think about is what's for supper. 

But even if I didn't work, if I'm going to be busy cleaning about the house or working outside all day long, I still may not want to deal with making dinner. Get it done early, get it in the crock pot, and I'm done dealing with it. It just works out well for us.

@Stewball, if you have powdered soups, you could probably reconstitute the powder with water (or milk....or water and wine) and use it that way.

I have a few cookbooks dedicated to just slow-cooking. Some are just so-so, but some are pretty good. I'll check out the Betty Crocker site....thanks!
Oh yes!  That plum matches! 
  Unfortunately our kmart closed a while back; but I'll look online for it just in case I have an extra $40 laying around.  If Noodles hadn't racked up such a big vet bill I'd tell DH that it would make an excellent Christmas gift! 

I have done pulled pork in the crock pot.  it's amazing!  I do corned beef and cabbage in there too.  I have a Tuscan chicken sandwich recipe that is ah-maz-ing!  I add a little red wine to that one. 
  You eat that on Focaccia bread with a pesto-mayo sauce.  The juice from the meat cooking was SO good DH and I poured some on the sandwich and kept sopping it up with the Focaccia bread.  It was not a meal to eat in polite company.  There was "mmms" and lip smacking going on.