I try, I swear I try, but....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
People make me flipping crazy.

We went to the grocery store this morning. We went later in the morning than we normally do (big mistake).

We were walking down the aisles, turned the corner and a woman was shopping with her mother; her mom was using a motorized cart. She had a regular cart. She saw us coming (yes, she did) and moved her cart to the middle of the aisle right in front of us. I said, "Excuse me," several times and she ignored me. So I moved the bloody cart, let Rick go through with our cart, then put the cart back. She started to give me hell about it and Rick said I literally snarled at her. Her eyes got a little big and she shut up. Every time we got in the same aisle as the woman and her mom, Rick and I went to the next aisle and then came back.

Until we got to the dairy aisle. I started checking on eggs. There she came. Got right in front of me. She said, "Excuse ME! I need eggs!" So with a big flourish, I put my arm out and exclaimed, "BY ALL MEANS! Help yourself to the bloody eggs!" And walked away. Once they left, I came back and got my eggs.

Got to the check out and guess who was behind us. Yep. And all she did was bitch and moan. Finally Rick said, "All she did was move your cart. And after I went through, she put your cart back. And that was after you ignored her. For God's sake, woman, grow up."

They went to another check-out.
I try. I swear I really do try. But people? Just make me nuts. And Rick knows me. He knows that you do not peeve off The Pam on a Monday morning in the middle of the grocery store.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know how to respond without going on a giant rant! LOL! I feel your pain...and people at the grocery store or box stores are THE worst!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just do what i do start with polite excuse me can i get by? if ignored then get rude about it and just use your cart smash your way through(bumper cars) they wanna look or open their mouth you tell em get the f--- outta my way then! :lol:in my wheel chair i use my cane to crack people hard on the ankles to get their attention if needed or give a good poke at them worse comes to worse i use my knife and poke em on a butt cheek then

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read about all the road rage incidents where people are killed and wonder what is happening to the world.

Last Friday I had to do something in our small town. Couldn't find a convenient parking spot, parked in a lot around the corner. I'm about to walk across the driveway out of the lot. An SUV turning into the lot sort of stops. A car passes out on the road and blips the horn.

The woman in the car driving into the lot has her window down with a look on her face that our mothers would have said "Careful, your face could freeze like that!" and screams out "F***ing asshole! I have kids in the car you f***ing idiot!"

I kept walking and I'm thinking to myself, And that's the language you want your kids to hear?

Am I showing my age here?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am showing my age as well. People in general have very little consideration for other people. I don't think it is just me getting older and the classic, 'young people these days'. I see people routinely doing things that makes me wonder 'what are they thinking.' It isn't just younger people it is older people as well. I don't know why there has been this coursening of behavior in society. I think the internet has something to do with it. It is so impersonal and people say whatever they want to say. That has bled out into behavior in general.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've noticed since the pandemic came people seem worse. They are rude and impatient and judgmental. Its people of all ages too. I especially see it with drivers around here. It seems to be improving in stores. But then I do try to avoid going at peek shopping times anyway.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t figure out whether these kind of ”shopping cart aggrandizers,” are well and truly crazy or just attention getters. The trick is how to get through the rest of your day without letting it affect you. My thought is let that be her karma not yours; take deep breaths, chant a mantra, and go shop for vanilla (OK maybe you didn’t NEED vanilla, but isn't that more pleasant than dealing w/ this person?). Sounds as if you did everything you could to navigate the perilous treachery. …”Become like water, my friend.” —Bruce Lee.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People are so rude!

On Saturday, I drove to the next "big" town to the south (25K compared to roughly 2k people) to go to my favorite surplus store. It is kind of difficult to explain the aisles, but some of them have a sort of mini-aisle in the middle of the aisle with spaces to turn around or to cross over to the other side of the aisle. (I know that does not make sense.) Two carts will not fit no matter how close to the side you get. Anyway, I was halfway down the aisle, going the correct way, and followed by another woman going the same direction. A guy walked the wrong way up to where the first space is. We stood there looking at each other for a moment. I said, "I do not think we are going to fit to pass each other." He said, "I think there is a space back a couple of shelves for you to turn around." I said, "I am sorry. I am disabled and cannot back up." (I really cannot because my left leg does not work that way. It drags behind me.) He said, "Well, I'm disabled, too! I have a handicap sticker." I said, "Good for you? That does not change that there is a space next to you and I cannot physically back up." The woman behind me says, "Sir, you're standing next to a space. Slide in, let us pass." He got really angry and yelled, "I guess you're a cripple, too!?" She said, "No. But I'm not backing up 10 ft when there's a f* space next to you, guy. Step over." He complained, but he did it. While I was passing him, he said, "I bet you're not even a cripple." I was putting Hobbit in the car just as he walked out of the store. I gestured with my cane towards my car in the handicap spot before getting in. I then watched him walk to his car--not in a handicap spot and without any placard, sticker, or plates--so I drove past him and shook my head at him.

Normally, I would not be so confrontational, especially with Hobbit or with my anxiety. However, when questioned by my husband as to why I felt compelled to shake my head and gesture towards my car, I said it was because I knew that if he came after me I could probably beat him up! Haha! Honestly, though, I would not beat up anyone and I have no idea what snapped and made me do it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Idk if it's any kind of recent phenomenon; I remember people in the '80s and '90s being far ruder and more confrontational. But then I didn't live in a "Minnesota Nice" state like I do now, where people would rather be passive-aggressive then outright aggressive.

Other than being cut off in the parking lot, which seems to be fair game everywhere even if it isn't Nice (but if you catch their eye all they'll do is shrug instead of flip you off or yell), the rudest thing I can remember is: while I was at Costco looking at my shopping list (on my phone), I went around a blind corner and had to pull up short because someone else was coming, and the husband made a loud-enough remark to his wife that Stupid Young People shouldn't be looking at their phones all the time, lol. At least he thought I was young :tongue:. Oh, and early in the pandemic I was wearing a mask into Menard's and some woman made a loud-enough remark to her companion about "idiot liberals not getting enough oxygen to their brains", but Menard's mandated masks literally the day after that so joke's on her I guess. I personally find passive-aggression extremely annoying but I suppose it's probably better than outright aggression, at least when dealing with strangers. When dealing with family, "friends"/acquaintances, customers, and co-workers, I'd much prefer if they said what they meant though.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don’t deal with it. If I am on the same shopping path as annoying ( for a variety of reasons) people or families, I will move my shopping to a different aisle or even circle an aisle until the annoying person or people have moved on. Take a bit more time but reduces stress. I don’t like to shop next to people with electric carts because the carts are generally clumsy and people with large families or two family carts will also make me move or avoid.