I Took In A Stray And Her Kittens And I Really Need Some Advice!!

WarqAhhhh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a neighborhood stray that I see often after finding her with kittens. It was very cold out so I brought them into my garage and have been able to keep a stable tempurature of 80 degrees after seeing online that that's the perfect temperature for kittens.(I can't bring them in because I already have an indoor cat and talked to his vet who recommended I don't bring them in)

I found the kittens 8 days ago and they all seem fine to me. However the mother has fleas and I saw a flea crawling on one of the kittens which makes me very very worried because I have no idea what to do besides give them a warm bath and pick the fleas out of them which I've already done once. Thats the first problem. How do I stop this??

Secondly, a few days ago unnoticed crusty black stuff around the babies mouth and nose, I cleaned it with a tissue and water but it came back the next day. I also see the same black stuff near the moms nipple. What is this and should I be worried?

Also, all the babies umbelicle cords have fallen off, but I noticed that 2 of the kittens have a black spot where the hole to the umbelicle cord used to be and also a very small bump. What is this, and again, should I be worried?

Last thing, I know the kittens should be opening their eyes pretty soon, but i noticed with one of the kitties that there was crust over one of its eyes. What should i do? I really want them to grow up to be healthy!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the crusty black stuff. I wonder can it be dust? If there is dusty in this place...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the fleas: advantage 2. is good and safe. Is enough to give momma - will prootect nursing kittens too.

Later on when you deworm the kittens use an all round deworner as milbomax or drontal. Avoid products from Hartz.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Crusty eye: you can try to clean off with damp cloth wet from warm weakly salt water. But it may be a vet errand.

The cord place - may be minor hernia? Ie damage in muscle wall. Usually not becesssry to do anything - surgery msy be done when they are spayed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, use a tube of Advantage II for cats on the back of mom's neck. Continue cleaning the kittens' faces. They may need an antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection (URI) if they do not improve. It does sound like it could be dirt also.

How old are the kittens? Are they in a nest? Is mom eating well?

We would love to see a picture!

Thank you for rescuing them! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WarqAhhhh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I just bought that yesterday and used it on her so hopefully this works. I was thinking maybe it could be dirt because the garage is obviously a bit dusty but they stay in their bed unless they fall out. I'll keep a look out though. The kittens should be 9 days now! They are in a nest and mom is eating fine. I usually take videos of the kitten but here are some screenshots of 3/5 kittens. The first one is marshmallow! There is 1 other white kitty and 1 gray and white kitten!
Yes, use a tube of Advantage II for cats on the back of mom's neck. Continue cleaning the kittens' faces. They may need an antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection (URI) if they do not improve. It does sound like it could be dirt also.

How old are the kittens? Are they in a nest? Is mom eating well?

We would love to see a picture!

Thank you for rescuing them! :)

Attachments

WarqAhhhh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Crusty eye: you can try to clean off with damp cloth wet from warm weakly salt water. But it may be a vet errand.

The cord place - may be minor hernia? Ie damage in muscle wall. Usually not becesssry to do anything - surgery msy be done when they are spayed.
Hello! The black stuff could be dust but Yesterday I noticed that the black stuff was also around the mommys nipple area as well. So I was thinking the babies probably have black stuff around their mouths for that reason.I'm not sure what it was but I cleaned it off of her.

For the fleas I bought exactly that and used it so hopefully it works.

Yesterday I cleaned one of the kittens crusty eye ( only one kitty has one crusty eye) and I when I cleaned the crust off his eye opened a little bit!! I was so happy but then I went to go check on him again and the crust was back and sealed the eye shut :( this is also day 9 and one of them have opened their eyes.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if the kitten with the eye crusted shut may have an eye infection, which requires veterinary care. There may also be respiratory infections in both kittens. Kittens can go downhill fast; I think I'd be looking at a vet visit as soon as possible, much as I hate to say it, because I don't like the thought that your kindness is going to cost you that much money.

Margret

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You seem to be a paying patient to a vet with your resident? Perhaps he is willing to give you a discount for these rescuees? And or give telephone prescription?

WarqAhhhh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds as if the kitten with the eye crusted shut may have an eye infection, which requires veterinary care. There may also be respiratory infections in both kittens. Kittens can go downhill fast; I think I'd be looking at a vet visit as soon as possible, much as I hate to say it, because I don't like the thought that your kindness is going to cost you that much money.

Margret
The crust on the eye means that they have respitorty infections? I know I'm gonna have to spend a lot of cash but I'm willing to do so! Thanks for the advice

WarqAhhhh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You seem to be a paying patient to a vet with your resident? Perhaps he is willing to give you a discount for these rescuees? And or give telephone prescription?
I will call my cats get first thing in the morning and see if they can help me out! Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may just need a tube of terramycin for their eyes. Eyes usually open between 7-14 days. Never force an eye open.

A vet check would be helpful.