I think stray cat needs help with her eye but no money for vet just want to see if i can do anything to help

Joecqql

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think stray cat needs help with her eye but no money for vet just want to see if i can do anything to help. This really nice cat started showing up at my house a couple weeks ago and was always at my door when i opened it. I wasnt feeding her but she looked very skinny so i think somebody must have abandoned her so i started feeding her. About a week ago i noticed her right eye was red and half way shut. The next day she stopped eating and looked she was in a lot of pain also it looked like the eye was gone and looked like it was just skin there. I just want to know if I can help her out at all. there is no money for vet. If it is an infection I read that triple antibiotic might help and i have some of that. I also have amoxicillin. If those two can help her feel better than that is something i can do. She is a very nice and sweet cat and i would like to do something to make her feel better. I am going to attach a picture.
kitty3.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not try to give the cat any medicine without veterinary advice. First aid cream that is triple antibiotic is NOT for use in eyes. Applying such a product could result in the eye issue becoming much worse. While amoxicillin can be used in cats, a vet has to determine the proper dosage. Just guessing a dose or relying on the Internet may make the cat sick.

See if you can get help from one of these places:

Or reach out to a rescue or shelter to see if they can trap the stray and get her the vet care she needs and a new home.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It looks like she has an ear tip, which would suggest she has been spayed by a TNR group. Could you do a google search for TNR in your area? Quite often groups that trap, spay and neuter will do follow up care on their cats. Or they will have access to cheap vet care and could help you that way.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She REALLY looks miserable - I'm glad she has you watching over her. It sounds like she's friendly enough (or at least miserable enough) that you might be able to get her in a carrier and to a vet. If - like lots of us - money's an issue - check to see if you have a low-cost vet in your area. We have several - - one offering low cost exams, and one basing costs on the person's income. If that's possible - you'd at least feel better knowing that your made her feel better. If you can help her, and can touch her, and she appears friendly (she's so close in the pic I'm pretty sure she's a stray and not feral) - it'd be great if you can get her to a vet or clinic, and then if you can't keep her, call local shelters (no-kill!) and perhaps they'll take her in and continue her care, eventually finding her a forever home. (unless of corse that forever home is yours!)

Hope you can get her help. She really does seem to be in pain.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Were you able to help the kitty? Let us know what's going on with her.