I Think Shaman Had A Heat Stroke

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Willowy, with the unless they are trapped in sun or an enclosed area. They know not to stay in the sun. I too worry with Zoe over heating, but she's smart. I check on her a LOT during the day, 99% of the time she's under the porch, and will only be in direct sunlight for a few minutes while she's watching something. I try to get her to come in, and yeah...she'd rather be out playing! She'll come in for an afternoon nap and then time to go! Just make sure the kitties stay hydrated. Even though Zoe prefers her drinks from the sink, I still make sure there is a water bowl outside.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your thermostat must not be accurate because St Louis is not that hot. A lot of the USA is in a heatwave right now with similar temperatures, of heat indexes up to 110. That’s still pretty hot.

You are doing everything you can. Try to relax and let your cats relax as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman was found severely dehydrated. We got her to a vet and she’ll be there for a day or two. I knew something was wrong with her. I’ll keep you all updated. In the meantime Treasure needs me nearby as her litter mate and best friend is ill.

I guess not all cats know to seek shelter. :(

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year, we had a hot, dry summer. Quite often during the day, we would find Miss Eleanor, who has since come inside, lying under our large hosta, where the ground was always cool and damp. Cats know how to cope, so take heart.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year, we had a hot, dry summer. Quite often during the day, we would find Miss Eleanor, who has since come inside, lying under our large hosta, where the ground was always cool and damp. Cats know how to cope, so take heart.
Obviously Shaman doesn’t know as she is on IV to replenish fluids due to the heat and dehydration. I’ll keep you all updated

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, that's not good. I think something else must be wrong; healthy cats don't get dehydrated when water is available. I hope they fix her right up and find out if there's an underlying problem.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
She's ok now. She seems to be scared off from other cats and that's what keeps her from eating/drinking. There seems to be no other problems with her Thankfully.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
She's back home and not liking the kitten at all. Looks like our animal hospitals are just like the human ones. Send them home right away. She and Treasure are no longer best friends, Mom throwing fits over the blood bath fight and Treasure overly protective of the orphaned kitten which may or may not be Shadow's. I have another thread about this and the situation of the kitten not eating or drinking. I don't know. I can't trust just anyone to take the kitten and raise. And Shadow may be injured and dying or dead for the kitten to have bonded with Treasure. I really did not think all of this through when I started feeding. And to be told by crazy lady that they have been 100% confirmed fix really burns me up. Never have been able to get back to the TNR people. I left messages on phone but no response. :(