I think my kitty has a UTI

DarlaKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I took in a stray kitty, at my parents house, and named her Darla about a month ago. Decided that she would come with me to my new apartment on the 23rd of this month. I took her to the vet immediately. She was malnourished, respiratory infection, a wound in her armpit, which was a burst abscess and has since healed up. She also had all kinds of parasites. The vet gave her a long lasting anti-biotic shot, dewormed, tested her for several feline diseases, and gave me some flea meds. All of those tests were negative. She has really bounced back after a month of TLC. It's really amazing what they can come back from! She is gaining weight rapidly and can be feisty at times. All has been going well. I have an appointment to have her spayed on Tuesday. But! Just got back from town and noticed she was having trouble peeing. She repeatedly went to her litter box with just trickles coming out. She went to her cat bed and squatted and a few drops were tinged somewhat reddish/pink. She also sprayed the wall which she has never done. She was showing symptoms of being in heat two weeks ago. She's about six months old. But now she doesn't seem to be in heat. I keep her either in my room or in the basement because my moms female cat is very aggressive towards her. She doesn't seem to be in any pain right now. The vet is not available until Monday morning! I really hope she will be okay until then. I feed her Fancy Feast wet food. She can eat hard food but tends to swallow it whole. She also tends to drink a lot of water. It's ridiculous that there are no vet clinics open on Sunday in my area. There are 5 clinics in my area and all of them are closed on Sunday! Is there anything I can get at a pet store to help her if it gets worse before Monday? I'm so worried about her! :(

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try calling all the vet hospitals anyways. They all should have an after hours voicemail message with info on who to call for emergencies. Give that number a call and speak to the vet or receptionist that answers.

Can you not feed any dry food until Monday when you can speak with your regular vet? There isn't anything sold in pet stores that would treat a urinary issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DarlaKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try calling all the vet hospitals anyways. They all should have an after hours voicemail message with info on who to call for emergencies. Give that number a call and speak to the vet or receptionist that answers.

Can you not feed any dry food until Monday when you can speak with your regular vet? There isn't anything sold in pet stores that would treat a urinary issue.
Thank you for the reply. I can take her to the vet Monday morning no appointment needed. I feed her wet food only. She's had two cans of food today. Her appetite is good. I called two clinics in my area and they both had a voice mail to call the nearest 24 hr vet clinic which is a county away and requires an appointment for non-emergencies. If she gets any worse I'll be making that drive tomorrow.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She does need to be checked for a potential UTI, but this could also be stress related due to all of her recent changes, including dealing with your mom's other cat. When they do a urinalysis, make sure that they follow it up with a urine culture if there is bacteria in her urine. That will give the vets the best idea on what antibiotic will work for the kind of bacteria she may have. Keep us posted, please!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as some urine is coming out, it's not an emergency. If she blocks completely, that's when it becomes one. Even seeing signs of a little blood in the urine doesn't mean it's an emergency :alright:. I agree that this could have been brought on by the stress of the other cat, but it will still need taken care of medically. Poor baby. They may or may not want to delay her spay depending on what they find.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DarlaKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Darla update:
I didn't take Darla to the vet. She's peeing regularly again. Doesn't seem to be having any problems at all. I do think it was stress because I had her in my room at the time. I moved her back into the basement where it is quieter and she never has to see or smell Eloise, my moms cat. I can't wait to move her to my apartment on the 23rd! She will be spoiled! I took her to a clinic this morning to be spayed but they were unable to take anymore spays today. So I'll take her again tomorrow as soon as they open.