I think my kittens have pneumonia!! :( - Help needed with newborns

katee_2474lif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 6 kittens and they get mums milk and the milk formulae i give to them every 2 hours... They NEVER want to drink the milk when i feed them with a syringe and they do these weird clicking sounds in the neck and im really scared because they never drink the milk and allways wiggle! i need help should i stop feeding them the milk formulae and let them drink the mums milk because they do it very well no problems... I NEED HELP!! This is my 2nd time my cat gave birth and last time all of them died and i think its because i didnt do it probably and they had pneumonia and i need help should i go to the vet and will they help the kittends idk i just pray that maybe they can heal or im overthinking it pls help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katee_2474lif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im taking care of five days old newborn kittens without their mom. (The mom is a stray cat and she is really sick in ICU; and I have zero experience with newborns). Ive been trying to bottle feed the kittens for past 10hrs with kitten formula with bottle that comes with the formula. I think something is wrong cause one of the kitten had sort of hiccups after the feeding and now there is this clicking sound in her chest and neck when she breathes. I did my best to feed them on their belly with their head elevated but they're really wiggly and angry. I am scared out of my mind that she's gotten the 'aspiration pneumonia' because of my shitty feeding skill and now there is formula in her lung!!!!!!!! I cant leave my place to go any vet because of corona lockdown at where I live. Its almost impossible to find open vet now at this time. (it's 3am in the morning here) I found one open vet and called them on the phone asking what I can do and he said "feed her! she must be hungry." I think this vet is an idiot. There is something wrong with this noise!! I am freaking out!!! what shall I do???!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
IM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING AND IDK WHAT DO DO HELP IM SCARED THEY GOING TO DIED GOD FORBID

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are weighing them daily and they are drinking mom's milk, then you shouldn't need to supplement them. If you notice they are losing weight, then you supplement. I also would strongly suggest you schedule a spay appointment for your momma kitty so there are no unwanted kittens in the future.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please see your vet immediately if you suspect pneumonia. These kittens may need antibiotics.

Please do get your mom cat spayed soon to avoid future litters.

Keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 6 kittens and they get mums milk and the milk formulae i give to them every 2 hours... They NEVER want to drink the milk when i feed them with a syringe and they do these weird clicking sounds in the neck and im really scared because they never drink the milk and allways wiggle! i need help should i stop feeding them the milk formulae and let them drink the mums milk because they do it very well no problems... I NEED HELP!! This is my 2nd time my cat gave birth and last time all of them died and i think its because i didnt do it probably and they had pneumonia and i need help should i go to the vet and will they help the kittends idk i just pray that maybe they can heal or im overthinking it pls help
As earlier said, if they take from momma, and add 10+ grammes every day, you usually dont need to supplement.
If they add much less, THEN you supplement.

with 6 babies, if they fight much, you can try with sessions: 3 on 3 off sleeping.... Or the 1-2 weakest on, the other off sleeping...

Clicking with a little luck dont need to be serious; but DO consult your vet if you do worry.

And yeah, handfeeding has some extra risks. Doing it properly lessens the risks, but even with correct technique its safer with an alive momma, as long she produces enough with milk.

Ps. Be sure momma gets enough with good food. Say kitten type food. Goats milk as always a good supplement, and you can use it as extra for the kittens too.

katee_2474lif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are weighing them daily and they are drinking mom's milk, then you shouldn't need to supplement them. If you notice they are losing weight, then you supplement. I also would strongly suggest you schedule a spay appointment for your momma kitty so there are no unwanted kittens in the future.
Thank you for ur advice, yes they gain weight daily and also is it okay if one of the kittens mouth is a little open but breathing from its nose... And also you know the clicking sound when i feed them the clicking sound happens in there neck is it okay? My cat is a mainecoon and this will be the last time she will get pregnant but we will keep one of the healthy kittens for the future

katee_2474lif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please see your vet immediately if you suspect pneumonia. These kittens may need antibiotics.

Please do get your mom cat spayed soon to avoid future litters.

Keep us posted!
Can you say the signs of pneumonia? They are 6 days old today btw

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Clicking sounds when breathing is a major sign of pneumonia in the lungs. Any struggle to breathe, fever, not eating, lethargy. Did you say you are hearing clicking sounds?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
K katee_2474lif Welcome to TCS! Thank you for what you are doing. Are the tinies in a warm environment? The ambient temperature should be 84°-90°F. To accomplish that, I put the babies in a small box lined with microfleece and a wrapped, warmed rice-or-cornmeal sock alongside them then I place the box inside a cat carrier placed partially on heated pet pad (always make sure that the kittens can move away from the heat & familiarize yourself with hyperthermia* AND hypothermia*). I keep the cat carrier covered with a thick towel. While feeding, I wrap the baby in a warm microfleece that keeps the toes and ears covered (unless the room is very warm). If there seems to be respiratory issues, while you are waiting for that vet appointment, you can drape a blanket over two chairs with the cat carrier in between and a vaporizer (just plain steam, no Vicks or other eucalyptus) alongside.
If a kitten seems to be declining, rubbing white Karo syrup or honey on the gums can help buy time. You can use an eyedropper or syringe to administer a 50/50 unflavored pedialyte with filtered or bottled water, drop by drop. Some kittens do better on goat milk, especially raw or reconstituted powdered, at least until they make a good rally.
Remember to never feed a cold kitten - their insides stop processing food and milk will putrefy in their bellies. The syrup or honey will keep their blood sugar up and the pedialyte/water keeps them hydrated.
Please keep us updated!

katee_2474lif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! Today they have been good and drinks there mums milk well however i syringe feed them every 2 hours and they are very fussy..

katee_2474lif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when i feed them in there throught they make a wierd sound..its hard to explain

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that the formula or pedialyte/water should be 100°-102°F - I use a candy thermometer. To keep it warm in winter, I wrap the bottle in a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock while I am doing "diaper changes" and burping.
Also, avoid all fragrances or scents, especially in their swaddling cloths and anything that touches their bottoms. Some kittens can tolerate baby or pet wipes, but others get skin irritation and prone to diarrhea.
The mini Miracle Nipples works best for me. The plastic nipples can cause mouth sores so look for signs of fussiness as well as red spots on the tongue and gums.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! Today they have been good and drinks there mums milk well however i syringe feed them every 2 hours and they are very fussy..
Try with just mommas milk, and see how much they add with just mommas milk.

The fussines is probably in part because they are more or less satisfied.

To be on the safe side, weigh them every 12 hours when they are just on mommas milk... So if there is any problems with just momma, you will notice this immediately....
Because, it happens a kitten is too weak to suckle momma properly, it nurses because its nice, but hardly get something in.... Such kittens must be ALSO handfed.

katee_2474lif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thankyou, i also have a another question one of the kitten sometimes when it meows now sound comes out and one of the other kittens sometimes puts its tounge out when it sleeps idk if it can control to put its tounge back because i remember when it was trying to..