I think my cat pulled his neuter site

Skyewolfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I picked my cats up from the vet and after I got one of the cages set up for them to be in over night, I went to pick Hellspawn up and he started hissing (obviously still in pain and super groggy still stumbling and stuff). So, I backed up for a second to give him space to calm down and he took off. He apparently tried jumping onto his cat tower and began bleeding at the scrotum. I have never had a cat fixed before so I don’t know at what point to worry. I’ll attach a couple of pictures (one is of his scrotum, sorry in advance). They used glue instead of sutures.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
They used glue instead of sutures.
Check that the slit is not pry opened. It's normal to bleed a little after surgery. Yes, they use glue instead of suturing now.

Just make sure he doesn't lick the surgery site excessively.

:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

I'm replying you with the reply I commented in this thread :- is-it-infected.441264

The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.

If you are worried, take a photo of the surgery site and send it to the vet for a professional advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skyewolfe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check that the slit is not pry opened. It's normal to bleed a little after surgery. Yes, they use glue instead of suturing now.

Just make sure he doesn't lick the surgery site excessively.

:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

I'm replying you with the reply I commented in this thread :- is-it-infected.441264

The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.

If you are worried, take a photo of the surgery site and send it to the vet for a professional advice.
So it doesn’t look worrying or anything? This happened a few hours ago, I’m not seeing blood on the bed in his cage or anything.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So it doesn’t look worrying or anything? This happened a few hours ago, I’m not seeing blood on the bed in his cage or anything.
Just keep a close watch on it. If there's no blood on the bed or cage, it could mean the blood has clot and therefore not bleeding but if he does lick it excessively, he may open up the neutered slit and it may bleed again

The glue takes awhile to seal up the neutered site and that's why they are discouraged to lick the surgery site.

Just monitor the surgery site to be safe. Anything abnormal, call the vet ASAP.

Last edited: