I think my cat is pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ellecot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an update on my momma cat, she’s been doing pretty well with the kittens from what I can tell. They rapidly gained weight over the past few days! However all of lastnight and this morning momma has hardly been with her kittens and has just been non stop scratching in every corner of the room. Now that me and my partner are awake she’s stopped. The kittens are fine we’ve checked them their body temp is normal and they’ve just slept all night. Another thing aswell is over the course of the past few days momma cat has been dropping little nuggets of poop everywhere. Especially in the bed box. We’ve found it all over the floor, does this mean she’s constipated from stress? She also has been non stop meowing to us all night!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like something is definitely bothering her. Is she getting enough wet food, water, and kitten formula to drink?

If not, it’s possible she is constipated, or she may even have a UTI. Scratching in odd places, going outside the box, and meowing are common signs of an infection. Could even be her uterus not healing properly.

Please call your vet and get her checked. Kittens go with her if she goes in.

Ellecot Ellecot

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Ellecot Ellecot !

To me, "little nuggets" signal some degree of constipation, constipation meaning insufficient water in the GI system which can mean the cat is in some degree of dehydration. It could also mean the GI system 'simply' doesn't 'contain' enough water, perhaps because of the type of food taken in there (dry food, insufficient wet appropriate fibre in canned food).

I'd be feeding an all/mostly wet diet with an extra teaspoonful or two of water; encouraging more drinking (something 'novel', like tuna water, broths, 'soupy' foods); checking the type/s of fibre in the wet food and possibly adding in a tiny amount of appropriate fibre; and, maybe even adding a tiny amount (1/16 to 1/8 tsp) of Miralax into her wet foods, then monitoring the results........

....and, I'd begin all/some of that right away! Luckily, 'things' are still moving in there right now (even if those things are 'little dry nuggets')....but, without some intervention, that may well grind to a stop. THEN, you'd likely need to intervene with an enema.

Oh, just a friendly 'nudge'.............we haven't seen any pics in nearly a whoooole weeeeeeek!

Ellecot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou so much! She did pass solid feces earlier there’s was the slightest dot of blood in it which to me indicated constipation. She’s not drank any normal water from her bowl in an entire week now. She’ll only have it mixed with her wet food and I’ll crush it up so it almost becomes soupy for her. Our vet recommend chicken stock which we tried and she turned her nose up at it!
however on a more positive note she’s been with them a lot more throughout the day they’re still feeding perfectly well and rapidly gained weight over the past 2 days!
I shall happily post some photo of the little babies!! :))
IMG_2986.jpeg
IMG_2923.png
IMG_2961.jpeg

Ellecot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Real quick. Ours vets are now closed. But one of the kittens were pretty much fast asleep and I glanced over and they had sort of orange liquid poo come out of them. Is this dangerous? Can it be fixed? As I really cannot afford to take them to the vets again after they’ve just been earlier.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Orange stool is usually indicative of too much bile. Hopefully it’s a newborn system one-off and will improve quickly.

Ellecot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just thought I’d post an update to everyone! We’re all okay! Babies are nice and healthy and growing really quickly! And momma is happy too! Soon to be 4 weeks old can’t believe how quick it’s been!!
IMG_3639.jpeg
IMG_3560.jpeg