I think jelly has allergy or dermatitis.food suggestions

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He’s part Siamese and has red gums and chews around the back at the tail on top so no hair, dry, flaky. Eats and bathrooms fine. Vet says maybe autoimmune disease. He’s inside only and no carpet.

looking for recommendations on best food. Looked at royal canin but wow…sooo many grains and by products.

chatted with dr. Marty’s cat food trying to get actual price per day for 10 lb cat but was like buying a used car! Danced all around the daily cost…finally gave up

any suggestions for best kibble and or wet

jelly and I say thanks in advance

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First of all, what did the Vet say about the red gums? That sounds like he might need a dental, which is completely separate from the chewing at the back/tail (I think). Why does the Vet think auto immune? Is something else going on? Did they do bloodwork and find something unusual?

With food sensitivities/allergies, they usually itch around their heads and necks, or throw up, although of course there are exceptions to every rule. So I'm thinking it's more likely to be dermatitis of some sort. And it could be a flea allergy. Just takes one little flea bite to wreak havoc.

Your Vet can prescribe something for the itching, possible a steroid, to see if that helps, and if so, that might help narrow down the problem. Or it might just be because his skin is dry and flaky. You could try adding in some fish oil to his food for that, I've been doing that for one of mine and it is helping, although it does take time.

As to food, yes Royal Canin is not what many of us consider a good food. Tiki Cat, Weruva, Soulistic (Petco house brand), even Sheba are better than R/C in my opinion. And there are a lot more brands that are. Just look for something that doesn't have wheat, corn, soy, or a lot of vegies in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No fleas…apartment cat so ruled that out.

when the vet saw the red gums she said maybe autoimmune because that’s what she sees associated with biting. No vomiting, eats and bathrooms fine

she did give him a steroid shot which was good

we have had jelly for over a year and no problems. He’s the sweetest thing and a rescue from abusive situation. Lives with two other rescues and get along fine. They’re in a three bedroom apartment but she works nights as a nurse. Major move about 4 months ago from Little Rock to Joplin area but no detectable issues until a few days ago. So nothing we can point to as really causative.

thought we’d start with new food although he’s been on the current food for years

hopefully the steroid will short circuit this issue but less allergy prone food will help

thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All the foods I mentioned above are wet foods. For dry skin, I think that is best, and much easier to add in fish oil ;). Plus you can even add a little water to his food for extra hydration, which should also help with dry, flaky skin.

Hoping the steroid shot helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All the foods I mentioned above are wet foods. For dry skin, I think that is best, and much easier to add in fish oil ;). Plus you can even add a little water to his food for extra hydration, which should also help with dry, flaky skin.

Hoping the steroid shot helps.
Thanks for responding