I Swore I Wouldn't Adopt Anymore Cats....

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But sometimes you have to make an exception.

He was one of my strays: he got really sick with Rhinotracheitis, and sadly, had to have one of his eyes removed despite all efforts to treat him.
  The stitches were removed last week, and now he's being treated for Ringworm, which he ended up apparently getting from all the antibiotics he's been on (kinda like when I got that oral yeast infection back when I was on heavy doses of antibiotics for that cat bite I got a few weeks ago). He's a hot mess right now, but is improving every day.

Since he's now half-blind, I don't have the heart to put him back outside. Heaven only knows that life is rough enough for a stray without having only one eye to see with. Right now Gato is in isolation in the spare bathroom. As soon as he receives a clean bill of health from the vet, he will be introduced to the rest of the furkids. So now I have 11 furkids - more than I ever intended, but as they say, one can never have too many cats.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeling so bad for the cat. Make him comfortable and just love him. His cute just like any cat.They need love too.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! He needs LOTS of love and attention, thank you so much for caring enough to help him, you are an angel. I wish you luck with ALL of your babies!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on the new baby. He is one blessed little one to have you love and care for him.:nod:

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We swore no more cats after our beloved  Kato went to the bridge
  but  four years later we got two more I hated being cat-less.  Our first cat Zany got cancer at three years old  and had to have her eye removed she lived till she was eleven
  well done for taking on another moggy in need

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We swore no more cats after our beloved  Kato went to the bridge
  but  four years later we got two more I hated being cat-less.  Our first cat Zany got cancer at three years old  and had to have her eye removed she lived till she was eleven
  well done for taking on another moggy in need
I'm just wondering: how was life for Zany having only one eye to see with? I've never had a half-blind cat before and am wondering how he's gonna adjust...

katocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,  Our Zany adjusted to having only one eye very well, you would never have known she only had the one it was amazing
  sorry for the delay in my replying to you.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,  Our Zany adjusted to having only one eye very well, you would never have known she only had the one it was amazing
  sorry for the delay in my replying to you.
That's okay, I'm not always Johnny-on-the-spot either when it comes to replying.
And thanks for responding.
I'm glad that Zany did well with only one eye. So far, Gato is doing really well adjusting, too. I'm just hoping & praying that he doesn't lose his other eye now too.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy! He looks like he's had quite a bit of wear and tear on him. Skinny, tattered, and generally in rough shape. No wonder you don't want to put him outside; he wouldn't make it out there. I rescued a kitty some time back that had the same sort of tattered look to her; she had a flea allergy and ringworm. Check for flea allergy on this kitty just in case. They don't tend to get ringworm unless their immune system is down, but this little guy has been fighting hard for a long time and he's probably exhausted. Wash your hands after cuddling him, since ringworm can spread to humans.

Well, if you've got the space, if you can take care of 11, then it's not too many cats, is it? :) I'm glad you do have the space. Any cat lover eventually hits their limit, and then we have to say no even to the most pitiful cases because any new cat will make life worse for the others. Building a social network of people who also like cats, and who may have space when you don't, can help. But there are always too many cats and too few spaces. At least this little guy was able to squeeze into a space in your house, even though it was probably the last one.

He's got such huge ears! Maybe he'll grow into them, though. Or maybe he won't and you'll have to tie a string round his paw to keep him from flapping them and flying away!

You are going to have to post photos of him looking healthy and happy, of course. We always like to see that. :)

Last edited:

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy! He looks like he's had quite a bit of wear and tear on him. Skinny, tattered, and generally in rough shape. No wonder you don't want to put him outside; he wouldn't make it out there. I rescued a kitty some time back that had the same sort of tattered look to her; she had a flea allergy and ringworm. Check for flea allergy on this kitty just in case. They don't tend to get ringworm unless their immune system is down, but this little guy has been fighting hard for a long time and he's probably exhausted. Wash your hands after cuddling him, since ringworm can spread to humans.

Well, if you've got the space, if you can take care of 11, then it's not too many cats, is it?
I'm glad you do have the space. Any cat lover eventually hits their limit, and then we have to say no even to the most pitiful cases because any new cat will make life worse for the others. Building a social network of people who also like cats, and who may have space when you don't, can help. But there are always too many cats and too few spaces. At least this little guy was able to squeeze into a space in your house, even though it was probably the last one.

He's got such huge ears! Maybe he'll grow into them, though. Or maybe he won't and you'll have to tie a string round his paw to keep him from flapping them and flying away!

You are going to have to post photos of him looking healthy and happy, of course. We always like to see that.
Yes, he was pretty pitiful looking, all right, but he was really sick. He's looking better every day: He doesn't look so ratty, and his fur is growing back. He's eating quite a bit, and has been really active. He's actually turning into a little demon now!

He doesn't have any fleas cuz he got treated for that. As far as the ringworm is concerned, he ended up getting it cuz of all the antibiotics he was on (kinda like when I got an oral yeast infection back when I was on a bunch of antibiotics for a cat bite). He's being treated for that too, and the ringworm is almost completely cleared up. As far as washing up is concerned after handling him, I'm almost a fanatic about it - hand sanitizer & all. I have other furkids to worry about, too.

Yes, he does have big ears! I've been calling him "Dumbo".
  Hopefully he'll grow into them!

I just couldn't  put him back outside after all he's been thru - and besides, he'd have a really rough life having only one eye. God only knows life is tough enough for a stray without being half-blind...

I promise to post some more pix of him soon, now that he's looking better!