I stepped on my kitten and now I’m paranoid I’ve hurt her

JeremyAP84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was coming down my stairs and got to the last two and didn’t realize my kitten Maize (4 months old) was at the bottom of the stairs. I was barefoot but I stepped on her midsection as she was laying on the ground. She, of course, yowled and ran away. I don’t think I put my full weight on her but I’m scared I did some damage. Both my husband and I gently felt her ribs and stomach area but she didn’t make any noise of pain when we did. We tried to get her to eat but she wasn’t interested. She did play a little bit with a couple of her toys but she didn’t seem super interested in playing. She’s currently laying with him in our bed but I’m still too worked up to fall asleep. I keep checking on her to make sure she’s still okay. It’s been about 2 hours since I stepped on her. What symptoms would I need to look out for in case I did internal damage? My hubby talked to the vet and they said that if her breathing had already returned to normal that she’s probably fine, but like I said I’m a little paranoid. Thanks for any help y’all can give.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I was coming down my stairs and got to the last two and didn’t realize my kitten Maize (4 months old) was at the bottom of the stairs. I was barefoot but I stepped on her midsection as she was laying on the ground. She, of course, yowled and ran away. I don’t think I put my full weight on her but I’m scared I did some damage. Both my husband and I gently felt her ribs and stomach area but she didn’t make any noise of pain when we did. We tried to get her to eat but she wasn’t interested. She did play a little bit with a couple of her toys but she didn’t seem super interested in playing. She’s currently laying with him in our bed but I’m still too worked up to fall asleep. I keep checking on her to make sure she’s still okay. It’s been about 2 hours since I stepped on her. What symptoms would I need to look out for in case I did internal damage? My hubby talked to the vet and they said that if her breathing had already returned to normal that she’s probably fine, but like I said I’m a little paranoid. Thanks for any help y’all can give.
Welcome to TCS!!! None of us being vets the only advice we can give is to have her examined. As a cat mom, I would look for anything abnormal such as breathing, vomiting, blood in vomit or stool not wanting to eat or drink or be picked up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JeremyAP84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update for y’all. Hubby said she CHOWED DOWN on her food this morning, she’s active, alert, and breathing normally. Gum color is normal as well. Guess I was overreacting. Thank you for all your help. Mazikeen Aurora is doing just fine. 😁

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitties have little rubbery bones, because the growth plates haven't fused. That protects them in large part against these kinds of injuries. I've thought I've accidentally killed little cats I've had in the past, but they just seem to bounce back (maybe that's the source of the "nine lives" myth).

Do observe the precautions others have suggested, but if I had to guess, your kitty is probably just bruised-up some and will be okay.