I stepped on my cat :(

jimrothwell123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fur baby Jinger is all black and I stepped on her today :( I feel horrible, She yelped and ran away, she then threw up a few hours later just food and hair, she now will not eat and runs from us, when i did get a hold of her she cried when i touched her back right side :( I can't afford a vet is there anything I can do or did i just kill my sweet kitty?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was just a quick step without your full weight on her, she is probably just sore. Everyone has probably done that before. I have booted a kitten like a football before because they stepped right in front of my foot as I was taking a step. It happens. If she isn't any better in a day or two, call the vet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: It would concern me that she threw up afterwards albeit food/hair but will not eat. Not sure how much pressure you applied, however, even if you have financial concerns you can still call the vet and ask for advice. Phone calls are free! ;)

If the vet feels Jinger needs to be examined this Article may have some helpful information for you:
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Please keep us posted on her progress and, if it helps, we have all been in your shoes. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimrothwell123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update shes eating and purring again she just is keeping her distance from me think she is mad at me but will come to the wife and mini me

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update, glad to hear she's acting more normal. Don't worry about her being cautious around you, cats don't hold grudges. :D

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Once, when Sammy was a kitten, he darted right out in front of me and I kicked him straight across the room (unintentionally! Just he literally collided with my foot as I was stepping forward) He forgave me pretty quick but sure hammed it up acting like he was hurt. Even squinted his eye (then the other one, which leads me to think faker since he was getting all sorts of pampering because of how bad I felt)

I think stuff like this happens to everyone!

If your kitty is moving around just fine, she's probably just achy and will be okay, but maybe you can call your vet if you're worried and see if maybe they can put your mind at ease!

Glad to hear she is doing better! I'm sure she will forgive you in no time.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stepped on my cat's feet a couple of times in the beginning, until I learned to walk like a zombie, it's the default walk at home now 😃 Every time I thought for sure must have broken a paw or finger, but no - was fine. However if you stepped in the belly maybe guts got out of order. Sometimes they can get tangled and that's dangerous, but since he is eating again I think he might be fine.

Maybe a collar with a bell would help 🔔🔔