I sold my Christmas tree today!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You guys have much prettier trees over there! Unless im just not looking in the right places here of course!

The potted tree looks amazing!!

I got my tree I put up last year, a few years back in a sale for £10 down from about £60 so it was a bargin and I would prefer a slimmer one I am going to love putting it up this year, my mam and dad just bought me a whole load of new decorations for it maybe next year ill get a slimmer one!

Winchester I love your tacky white tree its gorgeous!! and not so tacky :)

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last few years we had one of those table top small trees but last year I got rid of it so we didn't have a tree at all. The grandkids don't come her for Christmas. We go to their home. So why should we  have one ? When the kids were home we always had a real tree.But it's just me & my husband ,Bella & Thunder.

They will get their stockings of food & toys and we will go to our daughters this year again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spent my Christmas tree money!!  There is a girl at work who is 24 years old. She's a single Mom. She's super smart and such a cutie!  She calls me her "work mom!" 

Anyway, she is venturing on a very scary trip right now. She quit her job and went casual (one day per week), and returned to school to take nursing! I'm super proud of her.  She was terrified! Especially about her first test.

Well, she got an A  
and I'm absolutely over the moon for her! I knew she had it in her, and that A has given her a boost in confidence; now she believes that she has it in her to actually get through the course.  She also got another A on her second mid-term!  She said she was disappointed in herself because she only got a B on her Anatomy and Physiology mid-term!  I told her that she's doing pretty darn good and that she should be super proud of herself because I sure am!

For her very first A, I have her a $100.00 to celebrate anyway she feels like.

Her b/f lives with her, they moved in together earlier this year before she decided to go to school.  He's in school too until November (carpentry or electrician or something), and then he will be working to support her while she is in school.  So I know money is a bit tight for them right now.  So I suspect she'll probably use the money for something practical, that's just how she is.

Anyway, I'm so proud of her. I told her that if I had ever had a daughter, that I hope she would have turned out like she did. She's such a sweetie.  Her Mom is another story

Please send Jazzy some vibes that she keeps getting A's!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful gesture! Kudos to you!

And many 
 for Jazzy to continue to do so well!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year when we moved I got rid of all my Holiday items. I thought I would get new things from community yard sales and Walmart too. But  I never got around to buying things for the Holidays so I won't be putting lights up this year.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That was really nice of you! :clap:

My tree is also very wide and low to the ground. What we do is not put the bottom row of branches in and it really helps. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was really nice of you!

My tree is also very wide and low to the ground. What we do is not put the bottom row of branches in and it really helps.
My tree was in 3 sections. You didn't have a choice to leave any rows out.  Years ago when I was a kid we had a tree where you have to put each branch into a hole in the pole.  Was quite funny once the colour coding wore off. You never knew what you were going to end up with!  LOL

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The best tree we ever had was our living room tree. It was from a company called Mountain King. It had a pole with a circle of steel around it. The holes for the branches were in that circle and each sheet of branches hooked into the hole in that steel (that was way back when things weren't all plastic!). There were ten sheets to the tree. The top of the tree was one piece and it just slid into the top of the pole. There was a large circle that we connected to the main pole; the higher the circle on the pole, the "fuller" the tree, so we could even adjust how large the diameter of the tree could be. The entire inside of the tree is hollow. And you'd never know it to look at it when it was put together. 

We paid a little over $300 for that tree and that was over 30 years ago. I know that we had it long before we moved into this house and we've been here about 28 years. That comes out to less than $10 a year.....a good investment. And they were made in the US! 

I can't find anything for Mountain King anymore. They are on FB, but their domain has closed or expired. I found plenty of links for King Mountain.....but not Mountain King.

It really was a gorgeous tree. But it's old (ancient by today's standards). And the cats really did a number on it by chewing at the tips and trying vainly to climb up a hollow tree. And, as I posted earlier, this was the tree that the RugKittens not only managed to topple over, but also somehow got the poor thing down the steps to the front door about 17 years ago. Now we wire the tree to the bottom of the living room wall. 

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mother's tree has the color coded sections. I know for a few branches you have to lay them in piles to be sure you have the right ones!  That tree is over 20 years old now too.

Our tree is in 3 big sections with the individual branches on hinges.  It's easier to put together; but it would be nice to try leaving that bottom row off.  I suppose some really good bolt cutters could take care of that!  I wouldn't want to ruin the tree though! 

And way to go to Jazzy!  I've got a friend who left a bad marriage and is a single Mom to 3 kids.  Scary!  She got a job in a doctor's office and that put the idea of going to nursing school in her head.  Long story short; she bought her own house last summer after graduating nursing school not quite a year prior!  It's a nice house too. Not too big, not too small, well kept in a good neighborhood.  I'm very proud of all her hard work!  Going to nursing school was one of the best decisions she could have made!  My cousin is doing something similar after spending 17 years as a CNA.  She's still in school; but got herself a great internship at a new cancer center.  Proud of her big time!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That was really nice of you! :clap:

My tree is also very wide and low to the ground. What we do is not put the bottom row of branches in and it really helps. :)

My tree was in 3 sections. You didn't have a choice to leave any rows out.  Years ago when I was a kid we had a tree where you have to put each branch into a hole in the pole.  Was quite funny once the colour coding wore off. You never knew what you were going to end up with!  LOL
That's the kind of tree I have. :lol3:

I do have my parents' old silver tree with the color wheel up above my garage.