I Saw My Cat Eating Yogurt

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I ate some yogurt and left it on my table and left my room for a bit after returning I saw her eating the yogurt should I be worried? This is not the first time my brother saw the same thing happen before thanks

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She should be fine. Yogurt doesn’t have as much lactose in it as milk. Some people like to give yogurt to cats as a treat! :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think a bit of yogurt will hurt. mine like a lick now and again too. I just make sure they dont get much, or any that may have chocolate chunks in it. Most cats dont do well with much dairy, but a lick now and again should not hurt them

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat likes yogurt too. Just watch her and if she vomits after she may be allergic to it. It is a milk product so her stomach may not be able to digest it well. I limit any milk products my cats eat but sometimes I give them an ounce or two for a treat. Only because they don't get sick from the small amount. Plus I only do it very occasionally.

I once had a cat that loved Hormel chili and ice cream. Had to watch him to make sure he didn't eat too much but wow he sure loved his chili!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wanted to add I sometimes buy that catsmilk product but my cats prefer milk instead. I usually end up throwing the catsmilk out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BensonG24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies its a relief that its fine, yeah my cat doesn't get sick from it probably because its only a small amount but my cat loves milk (cat milk) and yogurt so yeah once again thanks for the replies!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These silly cats of ours. I'm sure they try to eat the forbidden fruits just to wind us up. Oliver tries to get butter whenever he can and pieces thin plastic wrapping. Trying to eat a piece of toast in front of him is just murder.

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of my cats licks yogurt lids all the time!

My parents had a cat once they gave milk to every single day.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two cats like Yogurt.The Tuxedo male loves it.I was so surprised that he liked it so much ,I only give a little bit and have never had a problem with it.My nine month old kitten,Smynx seems to like it too.As long as you don't give them too much it should be fine.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most humans who are lactose intolerant have no problem with yogurt. My problem with commercial low fat yogurt is the quantity of sugar added to the yogurt to make it palatable. Sugar is worse for your cat than you. If you get regular fat yogurt (made with whole milk) they use very little sweetener.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
plain yogurt is sugar free (beyond any natural sugars from the milk still in it anyhow), and should be fine in small amounts for mot cats. I occasionally give my cat a tiny piece of cheese as a treat, which is similar.

Dairy isn't good for cats, and should probably be considered junk food for them, but it isn't toxic like some things ( chocolate and coffee, for example)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that loved yogurt! It never made him sick. I do know that some people who are lactose intolerant can still have small amounts of yogurt, so it must be milder than other dairy products.

Whatever you do, do not give any yogurt that has artificial sweeteners!!!!!