I really love my cats...random thread

prairienights

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm a fairly new cat owner. I've had my older kitten, Lua, for about 2.5 months now, and my younger kitten, Bailey, for about a month. We had barn cats when I was a kid, but they were skittish and wild. These two are my first pet cats.

I hope this doesn't make me sound irresponsible, but when I was looking for my first kitten, I figured it would be like having an interactive stuffed animal. I'd feed it and pay to take care of it, and in return, I'd have a cute fuzzy thing to pet. I did lots of research on the costs and aspects of cat ownership, but nothing could have prepared me for how complex they are. I just didn't realize what emotional little critters they are.

It's really taken me by surprise at how much I love these little girls. I'm not one to anthropomorphosize (interpret animal behavior as human emotion), but there is no denying that these animals have real feelings. They feel affection and love and pride and embarrasment and their feelings can be hurt. My little kitten, Bailey, was blasting all around the room the other night when I was trying to sleep. I ran out of patience, and picked her up, took her to the living room, and closed my bedroom door. When I woke up in the morning, Lua, who usually sleeps right next to me, was sleeping by the door. I opened the door, and there was little Bailey curled up. Both of them avoided me for the rest of the day. I was almost starting to worry if they had gotten into something and gotten sick, but it dawned on me. I had hurt little Bailey's feelings. She was upset and didn't understand why she didn't get to sleep with us. They were mad at me, lol.

Just things like that have really blown me away. Each cat is a unique and complex individual. I truly love my little girls, and I'm so glad that I have them to keep me company.

Anyways, I know this was kind of a cheesy thread, just thought I'd share.

How could I not love them??

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I think most of us understand exactly what you mean. They certainly do worm their way into your soul.

Only non-cat-owners think that cats are aloof, uncaring, selfish, and all the other terms non-cat people use. And there's no way to explain it, except to tell them to get a cat!

fiddledee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a firsthand experience with this the other day! I left Milo at home while I went to pick up something a relative had for me, but couldn't come down to give to me. I left him alone [my roommate fed/checked up on him] for more than 12 hours for the first time [I was gone from Friday afternoon til late Saturday night.]

When I came back, ooooooh Milo let me have it! He would not shut up and anything I did, he was right under me. I could tell he was really unhappy that i left him for two days.

I agree with the OP's post fully. Cats are amazing creatures that keep on surprising us. Gotta love 'em!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto all the comments. I have five; that's a lot of cats and not something I deliberately set out to do, but there's not one minute with them I'd trade for anything else.

Watching them interact with one another, feeling their affection for me, it's a daily joy.

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's true, cats (and animals in general) are able to feel a wide variety of emotions, maybe not the same as humans, but they still do.