i need help with mother cat

teraphobia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok ok some background information: my baby girl, light of my life, Angie, gave birth 2 weeks ago on May 25th (we didn't want her getting pregnant at all but local vet clinic was closed indefinitely. yay quarantine /s)
she had 5 kittens, 2 died at birth and Regina died about a week after being born.
soon after giving birth, Angie started showing signs of having an upper respiratory infection but that went away and as soon as it did, Regina caught it and stopped nursing and was constantly gasping for air. yada yada
now we're down Juliet and Skull. up until several days ago, Juliet was the strongest, fattest and biggest but now Skull is nearly double her size and that's great for him except he should be attempting at playing by now?
Juliet is very small, refuses to nurse (we've started giving her some milk replacement via dropper or at least as much as she can handle for a given period about twice a day. going to start doing it thrice a day instead.) and she's definitely thin for a kitten.
both Juliet and Skull have eye infections we are treating with appropriate ointment.
and now, Angie has two breasts that are swollen and very very very slightly pinkish whereas the rest of her breasts aren't swollen or pinkish (just the normal weird light gray skin lots of cats have underneath their fur)
and i think it is mastitis? it would explain why she's now reluctant to feed her babies but still tries to take care of them in other ways and why when she once loved belly rubs now turns her body away from me when i touch her stomach. (note: up until the weird thing with her breasts she loved her belly being rubbed and before getting pregnant she didn't care at all.)

i'm asking here because i don't want to subject myself to gorey inages of cats by looking up what mastitis looks like in cats.

i'm so sorry for the bad image quality, she wouldn't let me see her belly so i only got one of the breasts that i think has an infection/is inflamed.

(also also plz don't say anything about how i type, i'm on mobile and am very very tired.)
20200619_071815.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You really need to see the vet. The only treatment for mastitis is antibiotics. Take mom and kittens both asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teraphobia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You really need to see the vet. The only treatment for mastitis is antibiotics. Take mom and kittens both asap.
hi thank you! would you happen to know how much it usually costs? all we have left in the bank that's supposed to last us until the next paycheck is $200 ish.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
It looks like mastitis. You should call the vet and order antibiotics.
If my cat looks like one of her breasts is beginning to enlarge, we put a warm water bottle on or a warm damp cloth, and then either let a kitten drink from it or hand milk it.
However I think your cat is past that stage and she is experiencing a lot of pain right now.
To be honest I'm not sure how much it costs - I'll try to google it.
How old are the kittens? 2 weeks? At two weeks they are still too young to play, they will just eat, sleep, eat, sleep. 🙂

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It would be the routine exam fee plus the cost of the antibiotics. You’d need to call your vet for specific pricing, which varies around the country. You really need to get her seen though. She definitely sounds unwell.

teraphobia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.
It looks like mastitis. You should call the vet and order antibiotics.
If my cat looks like one of her breasts is beginning to enlarge, we put a warm water bottle on or a warm damp cloth, and then either let a kitten drink from it or hand milk it.
However I think your cat is past that stage and she is experiencing a lot of pain right now.
To be honest I'm not sure how much it costs - I'll try to google it.
How old are the kittens? 2 weeks? At two weeks they are still too young to play, they will just eat, sleep, eat, sleep. 🙂
It would be the routine exam fee plus the cost of the antibiotics. You’d need to call your vet for specific pricing, which varies around the country. You really need to get her seen though. She definitely sounds unwell.
hi hi thank you guys! i took her to the vet and it was definitely mastitis and since we caught onto it super early on it was only $73 (including the $37 fee to just look at her)
also i messed up, her kittens are more of 3 ½ weeks old! i say they should be playing a little bc my other cat Cinnamon had kittens just a few days after Angie and her kittens are playing. (also are notably heavier and healthier)
tysm! :D

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Way to go! The vet got you in very quickly! She should begin feeling better in 2-3 days. Which antibiotic did the vet give you? :)

teraphobia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Way to go! The vet got you in very quickly! She should begin feeling better in 2-3 days. Which antibiotic did the vet give you? :)
yea! within 10-15 minutes of showing up the vet came out and told us Angie had mastitis, and how he had treated her and yada yada! she was prescribed gamithromycin and got a metacam injection while she was there! :D

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need help finding a low cost spay and neuter clinic just let us know where you live :)

teraphobia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you need help finding a low cost spay and neuter clinic just let us know where you live :)
i know of one super nearby and very affordable but it's been closed for a while up until a few days ago! we're planning on getting Angie spayed ASAP!! considering how poorly she reacted to giving birth and whatnot, i feel like another pregnancy might just be the end of her and i didn't want her having babies at all period. hopefully we can get her in soon after her babies get weened

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also i messed up, her kittens are more of 3 ½ weeks old! i say they should be playing a little bc my other cat Cinnamon had kittens just a few days after Angie and her kittens are playing. (also are notably heavier and healthier)
tysm! :D
Hi.
Yep, at 3.5 weeks they'll definitely be more active then at 2, m cat Bella has two week old kittens and they are definitely not at the playing stage.
I'm glad everything turned at well for you, hopefully she gets better soon.

i know of one super nearby and very affordable but it's been closed for a while up until a few days ago! we're planning on getting Angie spayed ASAP!! considering how poorly she reacted to giving birth and whatnot, i feel like another pregnancy might just be the end of her and i didn't want her having babies at all period. hopefully we can get her in soon after her babies get weened
Yay! Great - hopefully all goes well. 🙂