I Need Help Getting My Cats To Get Along

Matt C.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I can't get my two cats to get along and was hoping some of you guys could help.

So I have two cats, Calvin (m) and Neko (f). They are both grey tabbys. Calvin is around 10 years old and we've had him for most of his life, since he was probably 3 months old. He is a very laid back cat and less active than he used to be. He doesn't generally seem to have a problem with Neko, except when they fight.

Here's Calvin.
20180125_161410.jpg

Neko is around 3 (I'm guessing, we don't know her exact age) and we got her a couple months ago. She's a very sweet cat when it comes to me and my dad, but she won't get along with Calvin.

Here's Neko.
20180114_171935.jpg

Here's the backstory with Neko. When the previous owner moved, he left Neko in the house all alone for a whole year, and came only to feed her every other week. Sometimes he literally just left a opened bag of cat food. When the guy's sister found out, she went over to get her and by that time she was underweight and festered with fleas. The sister took her to the vet and they fixed her up. She already had 3 cats in her apartment, and as you can guess, Neko didn't get along with them, so she had to find her a home. She posted an ad on a neighborhood community website and that's how I got her. So obviously, Neko has some psychological issues.

When we first got her, I sectioned her off in about 1/3 of the house away from Calvin. After a couple weeks we tried to get Neko out into the living room and with Calvin, but Neko just wasn't having it. Both Calvin and Neko were hissing, so we took Neko back. We tried taking a towel and rubbing it on Calvin and have Neko sniff it, but that didn't seem to work. We've also tried putting two separate dishes of cat treats out and have them eat in eye view of each other. Calvin would eat, but Neko wouldn't.

SOMETIMES, I can get Neko and Calvin to tolerate each other if I'm between them. Neko's on the left, Calvin on the right.
20180212_131011.jpg

Other times, if I leave the door open Neko will sometimes run out and attack Calvin, causing him to run away. Calvin never attacks first, it's always Neko. I don't want Calvin to feel like his home being taken over by Neko, but at the same time I don't want Neko to remain in that small area. It's been about 2 months.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I could do, it would be very much appreciated!

Thank you.

MarmaladeMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neko's body language when she goes for Calvin could tell you something. Is she going at him hissing and yowling, teeth and claws? Or is it more sneaking up on him, jumping on him, nipping, no claws? If the first, you definitely need to backtrack and reintroduce. If the second, that's more playful, and she could be trying to play. It's difficult to balance an age gap in cats, but it can be done. My 7 year old cat hated having a kitten at first, but now they play together like they've always been brothers. Or you may just have to strive for a truce. My aunt and uncle had a male and female pair of cats that pretty much hated each other from the time they got them until the male died. They ended up with a truce but could never really be super friendly or affectionate. Good luck!