I need help deciding whether or not to euthanize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daphne Bliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have the best cat in the world. He was completely feral for years, but I managed to make him part of my family. He is a Velcro cat, and the best part of my day. He had FIV when I got him, and he was very sickly. The vet gave him 3 months to live, and it’s three years later. Now he is very sick, and going to pass. He has lost a LOT of weight. The vet X-rayed him and said that he has a large tumor that is blocking his ability to eat and maybe even breathe. He also has a wound at the base of his tail from a possum that came into our yard. He had stitches but ripped them out. The vet did not want to put in new ones because she said he would have to wear a collar for the remainder of his life. That was two weeks ago. Now he as an eye infection, too.

The vet tried to pressure me into putting him down that day, but I didn’t want his last memory to be me throwing him in a crate and taking him to be put to sleep. A week later I got a mobile vet to come put him down. He freaked out and hid IMG_0033.jpeg under the bed. She said he had a lot of spirit and that maybe he would recover. I explained that wasn’t the case. Now it’s a week later, and I have a decision to make.

Should I load him into a crate and take him down to be euthanized? He is deeply, deeply frightened by the vet’s office. That will be his last emotion. On the other hand, he looks terrible, and I can’t imagine him feeling good. I just don’t want him to die afraid.

Or should I allow him to die peacefully at home? He would not be afraid, but he might physically feel really miserable.

I’m looking for any good advice. I admit I am more a “head in the clouds” rather than a “feet on the ground” person. I would love to get people’s opinions. Sorry this is so long. I’ve read books that are shorter.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this. Is at home euthanasia an option? This is where a technician comes to your house instead of bringing him into the vet. I did this with my last three cats and I will always choose at home if at all possible in the future. I don't know where you live, but we used Compassionate Care for our cats. You could probably Google "in home euthanasia near me" or something like that and it would probably give you some options. I think euthanasia will be a much more peaceful way to go than letting him pass away on his own. Passing on his own may not be peaceful or painless.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry that you are facing this with your friend. You have given him a wonderful life for the time that he had and the odds that were against him.

My personal bias is against allowing a pet to die at home on their own as it is usually neither peaceful nor painless. Given that you have access to a mobile vet, I would schedule another appointment with that vet and do whatever is comfortable for you and your cat to have him ready to meet her. Given that you have provided vet care for him and seem to have current interactions with vets, maybe one of them can give you gabapentin to give him before the home vet arrives.

If the mobile vet talked you out of releasing your cat during the first visit, remember that you have the final decision as to your cat, not the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daphne Bliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. I could have our mobile vet come back. I have seen other kitties out that way, and it is the best way, if possible. In this case, I think I would have to crate Louie before she comes, which would be upsetting for him. It might be less traumatizing than a trip to the vet, though. Thanks for giving me some opinions and ideas!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. I could have our mobile vet come back. I have seen other kitties out that way, and it is the best way, if possible. In this case, I think I would have to crate Louie before she comes, which would be upsetting for him. It might be less traumatizing than a trip to the vet, though. Thanks for giving me some opinions and ideas!
Again, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I lost 3 cats in an 18 months span and one was extremely unexpected. So, I know what a difficult decision this is. Is your guy still eating/drinking/cuddling/moving around ok? If not, it might be time to say goodbye. If you see him suffering at any point, you would be making the right decision. As myself and someone else said, passing on their own is more frequently not peaceful and not painless. The kindest thing you could do is to remove pain and unrest from his passing. Can your vet prescribe some Gabapentin? You could give it to him 2-3 hours before the vet arrives and it may ease his pain and nervousness. I've heard many people say they didn't regret letting their cat go "too early" but have for sure regretted letting them go too late. Best of luck to you.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's his present quality of life? Is he eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally? How is he acting? Is he hiding? My advice would be keep him around as long as he wants to be around. If he's hiding, not eating, not using the litter box then euthanize him as soon as possible. It is inhumane to keep him around if he is suffering.

I would recommend that when the time comes you crate him and call in a home vet to send him on his way. It's what I did for my cat who lost his battle with cancer back in June.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daphne Bliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Again, thanks for the smart, compassionate responses. Louie was eating and drinking and definitely cuddling up until the end. Yesterday we got up and he had some water. At that point, I noticed blood coming out of his mouth. I let him lay on my stomach and my T-shirt got bloody. At that point, I knew it was over. Because I live in a rural area, there is no mobile vet on Wednesday, and you usually have to schedule a week out to see her. I made the call that it was better for him to be fearful and end his suffering than to make him continue to suffer.

I adored that cat and I think this is one of the hardest things I‘ve ever had to do. I will say that when we got back into the little room I talked to him and cuddled him, and he died purring in my arms.

Thank you to the people who tried to help. Bless You.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for your pain......no matter how you decided to go, there will always be guilt and heartache. Cats have a tendency to hang on, and can endure a tremendous amount of pain and suffering, so I truly do believe you picked the right moment. I have seen the suffering they can go through, and the guilt is always worse when you wait.
that boy's soul will always be tied to your own. Nothing can break the bonds of love, not even death. It is spiritual so eternal. Go forward now and use your past memories of what you shared bring you comfort. do not dwell on his death, he would never want that. He is at peace now, he has your love in his heart. When you are ready, come to our Bridge forum and leave a tribute to that sweet boy, it does help to talk about it. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers........RIP precious boy. You will always be remembered, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. may teh good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Louie. You did the hardest and bravest thing that you could do for him. Under the circumstances, seeking out the regular vet was absolutely the right thing to do. You were with him all the time and that is what was most important to him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for Louie and you but please know you acted out of love and put his quality of life before your own personal feelings. It's the most difficult decision we have to make but he is no longer suffering in pain. Your memories of Louie will last forever. :angel:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to read about your loss of Louie. We will close the thread now out of respect for your loss, and we invite you to post a tribute to your sweet Louie if you wish in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.