I need advice

GrayCat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Some basic background to start, my cat Emmi is a year and seven months old. I adopted her when she was six months old and she is an only pet. She's a totally indoor cat, we live on the third floor of an apartment complex. She's had all her shots, is fixed and is up to date on everything.
Last month at the end of January, Emmi started shaking her head. A little odd, but I assumed nothing was wrong. About a week after (let's call this the first of February), I came home from work to Emmi having scratched off the fur behind her ears, but no lesions or blood. I panicked and tried to schedule a vet appointment, but they had nothing avaliable for weeks. I still made an appointment for their closest day. Instead, we went to the emergency vet who took a look in her ears and couldn't find any signs of infection (bacterial or yeast) or ear mites. They had no idea why my cat had de-furred her ears. They gave me a cone (e-collar) to use for a week to stop her from scratching herself.
I used it for a whole week and Emmi developed some dark dots on her chin. My uneducated mind leapt to fleas. With my vet appointment weeks away we went back to the emergency vet who said it probably wasn't fleas, but they had no idea. They told me a flea bath wouldn't hurt. I took their advice and gave her a flea bath, careful to scrub her chin (where the black dots were) and base of her tail (where fleas normal are, but where nothing was). I washed the rest of her body with it, but paid attention to those two areas.
It's now around February 8th, the cone came off and I researched the black dots were most likely cat chin acne which I got a hot spot and antimicrobial gel for which has done wonderfully at eliminating the dots. There's barely any now.
However, Emmi was starting to lick her arms and armpits and remove fur from them. At this point I assumed it was an allergy based on my independent research that was causing her itchiness (maybe the flea bath too). I changed her dry food to a different brand, Nature Balance Limited Ingredient Chicken and Green Pea, (she had previously been on Blue Buffalo with me and on Purina with her foster before that). I got rid of all her treats. I washed all her food containers. I cleaned the house (all with products I've used for months before). She stopped itching her ears (she only shakes her head occasionally at this point) but was still removing hair on her front legs even after a week on the new dry food (new as of February 11th).
Last week (February 20th), I switched her wet food from Sheba to cooked, unseasoned, deboned, chicken breast. I put her on an antihistamine (tiny pieces to go below the internet recommended 5mg).
Now, she is ignoring her ears and front legs for excessive grooming, but is targeting her backlegs even with the switched food and antihistamine (if it is a food allergy).

Behaviorally, she's been about the same. She's a big cuddler and is playful with specific toys and nothing has changed except over grooming. I have combed through her fur multiple times with a flea comb only to find nothing. I have monitored her litter box and everything (before and after any food changes) is normal light to dark brown and has the normal shape. There is an uptick in urine, but she has trended towards drinking more water after her antihistamine. She has thrown up two hairballs, one on February 11th (yellow liquid and hairball) and once on the 22nd (clear liquid and hairball). Looked like a hairball, no appetite change and showed no signs of any other changes. I assume she had the hairballs from removing more of her own hair than usual.

I would have gone to the vet by now but my now previous vet lost both of my appointments (the original and the one I made afterwards). My new vet is booked until March 9th. I live in a pretty small town so there isn't a lot of other options.

I have no clue what's going on with her and I only want to help.
Let me know if you need any more information or pictures.
Has anyone had anything like this with their cats before?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used it for a whole week and Emmi developed some dark dots on her chin. My uneducated mind leapt to fleas. With my vet appointment weeks away we went back to the emergency vet who said it probably wasn't fleas, but they had no idea. They told me a flea bath wouldn't hurt. I took their advice and gave her a flea bath, careful to scrub her chin (where the black dots were) and base of her tail (where fleas normal are, but where nothing was). I washed the rest of her body with it, but paid attention to those two areas.
It's now around February 8th, the cone came off and I researched the black dots were most likely cat chin acne which I got a hot spot and antimicrobial gel for which has done wonderfully at eliminating the dots. There's barely any now.
Definitely sounds like acne. Some cats develop acne from using plastic bowls. Switching to non-plastic helps as done regularly wiping down the chin

Last week (February 20th), I switched her wet food from Sheba to cooked, unseasoned, deboned, chicken breast. I put her on an antihistamine (tiny pieces to go below the internet recommended 5mg).
What antihistamine are you using? While some OTC Human antihistamines can be used in cats, the dose has to be determined by a vet. You can't just estimate a safe dose to give and be wary of dosing information found on the Internet.

Are you feeding the cooked chicken alongside the Natural Balance LID dry food? Keep the chicken to less than 10% of the diet to prevent a nutritionally unbalanced diet. There are some nutritionally complete canned cat foods that are just shredded chicken in gravy that you can feed as well. Weruva's Paw Lickin Chicken is one.

It sounds like your cat might have a food intolerance / sensitivity. Anything in food can cause a reaction such as itchy skin and ears. Chicken is a common culprit even if a cat had eaten it for years with no issue. Grains and gums and starches and fish oil, among other ingredients, can also cause reactions in some cats.

Give the Natural Balance LID a try for a good 13 weeks or so. If there's no improvement, try a novel protein LID type food. Rawz is usually a recommended brand but it's expensive. Other LID brands to try:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Koha
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
Fresh & Natural Cat Food - Hound & Gatos

Prescription food is not needed at all despite what the vet says.

Some people find a home cooked or raw diet works best for their food sensitive cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GrayCat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. I started with the chicken to just start with any protein and monitor how it goes. Plus, it's one of the easiest to find. I thought taking a largest to smallest approach for the food would be a good place to start.
I feel relieved that someone agrees with me. Through everything the emergency vet has had no ideas. They couldn't even identify the cat acne except to say they didn't 'think' it was flea dirt. Youtube was my saving grace and the Vetericyn label seeming pretty foolproof.

I'm feeding the chicken along with the dry food. I wanted to see if it was her other wet food causing the issue and this way there was only one protein versus the variety pack I was getting for her wet food.

Thank you for the food suggestions as well. I hadn't heard of Rawz before or seen a nutrientionally complete canned food that was only one thing.

Is 13 weeks a good starting point for the food? I haven't been able to pin down an amount of time from searching online except that it would take longer for the itchiness to go away.

GrayCat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to add that all her bowls are stainless steel, even before the cat acne started. I would clean them once a week or when they seemed dirty. I clean them a lot more now! Emmi hadn't had cat acne before having to wear the cone. My theory was the cone, that is plastic, helped trap junk on her face that she couldn't clean off.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you changed food brands or litter brands recently before this started?

GrayCat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No. She's been on the same food and litter since I adopted her. The only time she wasn't was the adjustment period using some of the old stuff and new stuff when I first adopted her. I thought maybe her food, Blue Buffalo dry food (for kittens then the same but for adults) and Sheba for wet food had changed ingredients or gotten a recall, but I couldn't find anything about it.

I only changed foods after Emmi had removed the fur behind her ears.

Her litter has been the same too, Arm and Hammer Slide Clumping Unscented litter. I was thinking about changing it to see if that made a difference. What do you think?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
13 weeks for a food trial seems to be the minimum. Here's a thread: Per My Vet: How Long For Food Allergies Test

Other proteins to try if there's no improvement with the chicken are rabbit, venison, lamb. There is even kangaroo and other really novel protein based canned cat food. If trying different proteins doesn't help, you'll have to do a slow slog through eliminating other ingredients one by one to see what might be causing the skin issue. One of my cats has a sensitivity to goat milk of all things.

Sometimes companies change the ingredients slightly and they're not required to make note of that on the packaging :rolleyes: Or they change suppliers for the ingredients, which is probably common these days because of supply issues everywhere.

Changing the litter wouldn't hurt. Give it a try.

GrayCat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I swear I didn't come posting without doing my own researching. I used Google so desperately I was using the quotes and all those other Google 'rules' they teach you to make sure the articles I found included specific words. I googled that exact statement as that resource you linked and got nothing that gave me a specific amount of weeks. It's official, I have horrible internet luck. :ohwell:

Anyways, thank you for the resource and for letting me know. 13 weeks is a lot, but anything for our kitty cats, right?

I do wish they had to post something, somewhere, about ingredient and supply changes. Wishful thinking I suppose.

I will try changing the litter very soon to see if that helps anything. If changing the litter does help what then does that mean was wrong? I ask because you'd think that an allergy to something with the litter would show it's self as paw swelling or something, right?

I also realized I never answered you about the antihistamine. After the FELV vaccine my cat had her arm swelled at the injection sight. I contacted my now previous vet immediately and he said I could use an antihistamine in benadryl or another common allergy reliever as long as I used a tiny amount of it.
Very vague information, I know. I have stopped doing that since it didn't seem to help very much after a week anyways. Something to talk to my new vet about, I suppose.

Do you have any brand suggestions for canned food with novel protein? I've looked at Tiki cat, but I'm not sure what I think of them.

GrayCat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I changed the litter to a different type, but same brand for now. I got it for free and the packaging was completely unopened. She's had the new litter since Tuesday (March 1st), but no changes. Unless more dust counts, this new stuff is getting everywhere for '99% dust free.' 🙃
I will be changing brand as soon as I can get my boyfriend to do the lift and carry up three flights of stairs. 😆
I'll update when that is done.

I've been thinking of changing food to a fish type for her wet and dry food. Are there any common allergies with fish or problems with feeding a diet of dry and wet fish cat food? Not sure what brand I'll pick yet.

I've also noticed some similar looking dots to her chin acne on her stomach. Most of the time they look attached and when gently scraped with a fingertip or rubbed with a paper towel they don't come off. I've been a few loose and it looks like her chin acne when loose. I haven't seen this anywhere else on her body. Both her chin and stomach are patches of white on her body if that's meanful or coincidental.
Can cats get acne on their stomach?

It isn't fleas, nothing in the flea comb except normal hair after multiple runs through her fur.
I tried treating it like her chin acne but she licks off the antimicrobial, hot spot spray very quickly (thank goodness it's safe for them to eat and says so on the label) before it can do any good. She can even reach it with her cone on so that doesn't help.

I had a person suggest to me that the overgrooming could be caused by anxiety instead of a food allergy. Could that be the case instead? How would I tell?

I'm still a week out from the vet appointment, but they have my appointment which is an improvement.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Novel proteins include rabbit, duck, lamb, venison, kangaroo, and other "exotic" meats. Try these brands:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Shop all Cat
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
Minimally Processed Natural Cat Food Archives | RAWZ
www.naturalbalanceinc.com
Fresh & Natural Cat Food - Hound & Gatos

A seafood only diet isn't good. Here's info why:

Acne isn't found on the belly. I'd have the vet take a look at it, even if it's just a good clear picture you email.

Anxiety could cause overgrooming. It's hard to tell. Keeping stress low should help. The vet should be able to discuss stress-reducing methods if your cat has anxiety.

GrayCat999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw my vet today. He says it is most likely anxiety based on the specific location focus. For right now he has me giving Emmi
Tranquility Blend for cats and a Feliway plug in, it's like a Glade plug in. It's the first day so we'll see how it goes. My vet also said that keeping her on a limited ingredient diet is something we can do in the background for if we up Emmi to basically cat Prozac and she shows little to no improvement. Right now the stuff we're doing he said is middle of the road, he has had some pets improve a bunch or nothing happens.
I'm hopeful!