I need advice please

KayT292

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a pregnant cat that I named momma. This is her second litter, she had her first litter May 2023, and she got out and got pregnant again the end of July. I have her inside with a whole setup for her and her babies when she has them. I’ve noticed a few days ago that her nipples have developed tiny black spots around them, but no milk yet. I have been able to see and feel her babies moving since Sept. 6, so 3 weeks now. She started to not really be interested in her food yesterday, like she’ll eat a little bit and then stop, which isn’t usual because the past few weeks she’s been eating nonstop. I haven’t brought her to a vet because I don’t have the money for it for them to examine her and do scans. May I please get some advice on if these signs are leading to birth soon? Thank you. These are the pictures of her nipples with the black spots around them.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be due soon. Cats are usually close when they go off their food.

Are the older kittens still nursing her? I don’t know what the black spots are other than pigment changes related to hormones.

I hope you will not let her out and get her spayed when this second litter is 8 weeks old. She deserves to not have another litter. Call around to local rescues, shelters, Humane Society, SPCA, etc. to see who offers low-cost spays, and as soon as she gives birth, set her spay appointment for 8 weeks later.

Do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KayT292

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like she may be due soon. Cats are usually close when they go off their food.

Are the older kittens still nursing her? I don’t know what the black spots are other than pigment changes related to hormones.

I hope you will not let her out and get her spayed when this second litter is 8 weeks old. She deserves to not have another litter. Call around to local rescues, shelters, Humane Society, SPCA, etc. to see who offers low-cost spays, and as soon as she gives birth, set her spay appointment for 8 weeks later.

Do keep us posted!
So she’s an outside kitty, as was her first litter. She had her first litter outside in a pipe, and when they were around 8 weeks old a family of raccoons came around and I didn’t see the kittens after that, I’m guessing the raccoons might had sadly got to them. But I’m keeping momma inside with this litter until they’re old enough and big enough to defend themselves, and once they ween from nursing on her I’m going to get her fixed. I definitely do not need her having another pregnancy within the same year as her first two. She’s a very small cat so that could be very detrimental for her having three litters so close together. Thank you for your reply!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s good you are keeping mom and kittens inside this time, but please do not put the kittens outside when they are “old enough and big enough to defend themselves.”

The kittens need to be turned over to a shelter or rescue organization or pet store, who will vaccinate and spay or neuter, and see that they get adopted into proper homes. To do otherwise is not only cruel, but continues the cycle of reproduction. Kittens cannot defend themselves nor feed themselves, as you’ve seen from the fate of the original litter.

We will do all we can to support you. If you need help locating a low-cost spay clinic, or a rescue that will take the kittens once they wean, give us your city or county and state, and we can help you search.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with SArthurs advices and opinions.
While shelters arent happy to get in small kittens they must handraise, nor semiferal shy cats, home raised, fully handleable kittens whom are fully weaned, are no big problem for them to get adoptive homes for...
So, if you cant find yourself good homes for the kittens, there are others whom can... Dont let them outside to fend for themselves,!

Re momma: She having two litters in this short time, her margins are thin. She needs good food. Kitten type.... If you can get goats milk cheaply, give it for her... Its good supplement, and cats manage goats milk better than pasteurized cow milk... In a pinch you can give goats milk to kittens too... Its also cheaper than kmr.

Some nice vitamine paste may also be good.... You can surely find such a paste in a pet shop nearby or online.

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you're keeping a close eye on your pregnant cat, Momma. The tiny black spots around her nipples can be a sign that she's nearing birth. Combined with the fact that you've felt and seen her babies moving, it's likely that she'll give birth soon.

As for her reduced appetite, it's not uncommon for pregnant cats to eat less in the days leading up to delivery. However, it's essential to continue offering her food and keeping her hydrated.

Keep monitoring her closely, and be prepared for the arrival of her kittens. Ensure she has a quiet, comfortable space for birthing, and if any concerns arise, reach out to a local animal rescue or shelter for guidance. Best of luck to Momma and her upcoming litter! 🐱🐾🍼

KayT292

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momma had her kittens today around 4 pm!!! She has 6 so far, she may still have some in her, I’m not sure but we’ll see!! They’re all alive and she’s licking and tending to all of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! I hope 6 is it. That’s a big litter. Are all kittens latching and nursing?

Weigh them in grams to get a base weight. Weigh daily at the same time each day. Kittens should gain 6-10 grams (or more) per day. Watch for a runt or two with 6. Make sure they get nipple time or you’ll need to supplement.

Give mom a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink for the extra calcium she needs now for nursing.

KayT292

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About how old will the kittens have to be in order to tell their genders??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
About how old will the kittens have to be in order to tell their genders??
That may differ, in some you see it almost immediately, others may be difficult into 12 weeks.... One of my grandchildren got to change Alef to Alfa at the vet check up immediately before the selling. At 12 weeks... Luck were the buyer accepted the change... :)

Anyways, having several to compare with makes it easier, than for example, looking at just one, or looking on a photo.