I Need A Playmate For My Furbaby But..

taylor1104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when we got my cat, we were fostering a year old momma. we thought shed do alight with him. boy were we wrong. she actually tried to eat him multiple times. after we found he a new home for her, we noticed our cat is very hostile toward other animals, except our dog. he tries to play with our dog like its another cat. we were thinking, since our dog hates it when he attacks her like a sibling, we should get a new, younger, kitten. please help?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, do not get any more cats. You need to keep your cat and dog separated, and train your cat to play in an appropriate way. No animal will be happy with a cat that's attacking them all the time, and your dog could react in a dangerous way.

Is your cat neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taylor1104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, do not get any more cats. You need to keep your cat and dog separated, and train your cat to play in an appropriate way. No animal will be happy with a cat that's attacking them all the time, and your dog could react in a dangerous way.

Is your cat neutered?
Okay.. yeah, he's neutered for this exact reason. its been close to three months since he was neutered. its hard to separate them due to his constant screaming if we do.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know about the dog and cat, i know they can be great friends, or mostly ignore each other. you will work with them on getting along, and as the kitten gets older he will calm down.

About another kitten, my vote is yes. Kittens love to play, they want to wrestle and rough house all the time. I like cats is multiples, i think they enjoy each other. Neutered males tend to do well with another similar age neutered male. they like to play rougher than girls most of the time, and they get bigger, so they match better. My girls like to run and play chase with my boys, but they wont play fight and wrestle with them. The boys really go at it and have so much fun, and they are almost 3 now..lol big boy kittens at heart.. If you kitten has another kitten to play with this may give the poor dog some peace. Good luck with which ever way you go.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know about the dog and cat, i know they can be great friends, or mostly ignore each other. you will work with them on getting along, and as the kitten gets older he will calm down.

About another kitten, my vote is yes. Kittens love to play, they want to wrestle and rough house all the time. I like cats is multiples, i think they enjoy each other. Neutered males tend to do well with another similar age neutered male. they like to play rougher than girls most of the time, and they get bigger, so they match better. My girls like to run and play chase with my boys, but they wont play fight and wrestle with them. The boys really go at it and have so much fun, and they are almost 3 now..lol big boy kittens at heart.. If you kitten has another kitten to play with this may give the poor dog some peace. Good luck with which ever way you go.
At first, due to your cat's slightly aggressive nature that you described, I would've thought that it was best for you not to get another pet, but after reading this post I agree and am now convinced that you should get a little kitten to keep your cat company. Is she/he showing any signs of loneliness or wanting animal company? I don't think it would be a good idea to separate your cat from your dog, since it seems like your cat has taken a liking to the dog. I have two kittens as well and they're both very playful with one another; one is more subdued but when the other wants to play with him, he becomes just as lively - and even more so in some cases. I think a little companion would be a good idea. Good luck!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote another cat ... but I would caution 2 things. Make sure the new kitten is an equal age or pretty close to yours so the new one doesn't get bullied. Also I would look for a kitten that had been raised with his mom/litter mates so the new kitten can help teach your guy manners. You can talk to the shelter and describe your cat so they can help best match your cat's personality.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote another cat ... but I would caution 2 things. Make sure the new kitten is an equal age or pretty close to yours so the new one doesn't get bullied. Also I would look for a kitten that had been raised with his mom/litter mates so the new kitten can help teach your guy manners. You can talk to the shelter and describe your cat so they can help best match your cat's personality.
i also read somewhere, that a similar body build and hair length is good. that if you have a slim short hair cat, try to get another one. a stocky, longer hair fluffy cat, look for one of those. something about their energy level will match better :)