I need a heated cat food dish for my 23-yr-old cat not eating

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 23-yr-old indoor-only cat Muzak has been eating less and less for a month, last three days nothing. Vet is doing bloodwork. I just got him to eat! with warmed food. Looking for a heated food dish for INDOOR - outdoor bowls heat too low. I thought of a small human heating pad underneath the bowl - might need a different bowl made of different material. Or are there indoor heated bowls? Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remembered they have heated bowls for human infants -- picture of one from Amazon. However, looking at it, it maybe too high for your cat. If so could you have two bowls and put warm/hot water in the larger and put the one with food inside the bigger one. They would need to be close to the same size so kitty couldn't splash the hot water and could comfortably reach the inner bowl.

1674073315079.png

Amazon.com : Matyz Baby Feeding Suction Warm Plate with Draining and Drying Design - Stay Put Divided Plate for Kids - Including 1 Toddler Plate and 2 Spoons - Microwave & Dishwasher Safe (Green) : Baby

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a water bath and also warm water in wet food. I heat the water in a plastic bowl that's a little larger than my cat's feeding dish in the microwave for about a minute. Then I put his bowl in the warm water and let it sit while I mix up his food. I also heat up water in the microwave for about a minute and add a little bit to the wet food and make it like a slurry or thin oatmeal consistency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 23-yr-old indoor-only cat Muzak has been eating less and less for a month, last three days nothing. Vet is doing bloodwork. I just got him to eat! with warmed food. Looking for a heated food dish for INDOOR - outdoor bowls heat too low. I thought of a small human heating pad underneath the bowl - might need a different bowl made of different material. Or are there indoor heated bowls? Any advice appreciated. Thank you!
I should have said, looking for a way to keep the cat food warm over an hour or two. So something that plugs in.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
D dwdanby One of my cats has just started eating again after 10 days of refusing all food. Heating the food will make the food more appetizing, but if your cat hasn't had anything at all for three days you need to syringe feed him.

If you can get it Hill's PRESCRIPTION DIET a/d with Chicken Wet Dog/Cat Food is perfect for this. It's soft enough to feed by syringe, I was using a 12 ml one, and it's really high in calories.

After a few days of not eating cats just don't have any appetite at all and there is a big risk of them developing hepatic lipidosis, which can be worse than what ever stopped them eating in the first place.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I remembered they have heated bowls for human infants -- picture of one from Amazon. However, looking at it, it maybe too high for your cat. If so could you have two bowls and put warm/hot water in the larger and put the one with food inside the bigger one. They would need to be close to the same size so kitty couldn't splash the hot water and could comfortably reach the inner bowl.

View attachment 441419

Amazon.com : Matyz Baby Feeding Suction Warm Plate with Draining and Drying Design - Stay Put Divided Plate for Kids - Including 1 Toddler Plate and 2 Spoons - Microwave & Dishwasher Safe (Green) : Baby
I am tempted to try this for Maggie though if it doesn't work, I'm stuck with it. I tried once putting hot water next to her food and she would not come near it. She can tell something is hot. She is very cautious