I Lost My Cat.. Please Give Advice

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in tears as I write this. The window to my apartment was opened at night (it was very hot in here and I don't have AC). He got out and I haven't seen him since. I am going to look around.. I am so heartbroken and worried. I can't stop crying. I even dreamt about it last night. I live in the city so I am very worried.. I live right by a busy street. There is bushes in front the window that I will have to check. Please, please give me any advice.. I'm just a kid and I don't even know what to do. I'm crying so much :( thanks in advance..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
He has no collar or microchip and he's never really been outdoors

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. :alright:

My tips for finding him would be to talk to your neighbors, and also call up local shelters and veterinarians. In a big city, it's possible someone thought he was a stray and either took him to their home, to the shelter, or to a vet for a check up.

Please keep us updated. I hope so much your kitty has a safe return. :crossfingers:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have screens in your windows? I would shake a bag of food or treats and call to him, he might recognize your voice.

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have screens in my bedroom. I will go do that, thanks so much. I am so worried sick for my little boy. He is very good. :(

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. :alright:

My tips for finding him would be to talk to your neighbors, and also call up local shelters and veterinarians. In a big city, it's possible someone thought he was a stray and either took him to their home, to the shelter, or to a vet for a check up.

Please keep us updated. I hope so much your kitty has a safe return. :crossfingers:
I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the tips. Here people aren't so cat-friendly and especially since he is a black cat.. I really hope he makes it home safe, too

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
there are so many stray cats here too I hope he doesn't get sick or hurt :(

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I went out looking for him to no avail. I heard a cat meowing but it was not my cat, it was a brown tabby.. I'm so disheartened :( will look again tomorrow morning. going to post an ad on craigslist.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you live in a building with other apartments? If so, maybe they have a board that you can put a note on. Maybe somebody in the other apartments took him in.

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, blackkittens, I´m so sorry for you and your cat. I know that feeling, and it´s horrible. One of my childhood cats got lost too. Were extremely lucky and found her three days later, hidden inside a car engine just in front of the building. She was hidden there the entire time.

Don´t lose hope yet. Based on my experience, I would look for him around the area, he is probably not that far away.

Try looking for him during night. There´s less noise, less people. If he´s scared, he will only try to move during night time. Call his name constantly.

You can try the following (if you didn´t already)
* Leave all your windows open now so you can hear him
* Leave his favourite food on the street near the door to lure him
* Place his used litter box outside or, if it´s a very very busy street, as close as possible to the window so he can smell the scent. You can also put some of the soiled litter outside if you have a bush or a tree close by. If it´s far away this will help him locate his home.
* Take a look under the parked cars, if there´s any, and call him from time to time

Asking the local stores, shelters etc is great too.
Crossing fingers for you!!

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, blackkittens, I´m so sorry for you and your cat. I know that feeling, and it´s horrible. One of my childhood cats got lost too. Were extremely lucky and found her three days later, hidden inside a car engine just in front of the building. She was hidden there the entire time.

Don´t lose hope yet. Based on my experience, I would look for him around the area, he is probably not that far away.

Try looking for him during night. There´s less noise, less people. If he´s scared, he will only try to move during night time. Call his name constantly.

You can try the following (if you didn´t already)
* Leave all your windows open now so you can hear him
* Leave his favourite food on the street near the door to lure him
* Place his used litter box outside or, if it´s a very very busy street, as close as possible to the window so he can smell the scent. You can also put some of the soiled litter outside if you have a bush or a tree close by. If it´s far away this will help him locate his home.
* Take a look under the parked cars, if there´s any, and call him from time to time

Asking the local stores, shelters etc is great too.
Crossing fingers for you!!
Thanks so much for replying. I've been calling his name and making sounds with the food bowl, calling him by his nicknames. I'm so devastated :( I really hope I find him today. If he is under a car, how will I go about removing him safely?

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you live in a building with other apartments? If so, maybe they have a board that you can put a note on. Maybe somebody in the other apartments took him in.
I do. Maybe I could put up notes. The thing is people here aren't fond of cats at all and they truly believe that black cats especially are bad. Makes me so sad

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, if he´s hiding under the car, try not to make sudden movements that could get him scared and run away. Approach him slowly and keep talking to him. Maybe if you get some people to help, you can try to go under the car and pick him up, with the others keep an eye on all sides of the car so he does not run away. Food could help too, I think.

If he´s inside the car in the engine area, the cat will have to go down on it´s own, unless he´s stuck. Crawl under the car if you can so he can see you, that´s the only way out. Once he´s calm enough he will try leave that place. Don´t force him out, as the legs could be in a weird possition and he could get hurt.

If you luckily know the owner of the car you can always open the hood carefully and get him out. If the cat does not come out and the owner of the car does not appear... well, I would call the firefighters.

Here is more general advice I found:
How to Find a Lost Cat

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely put up a note, that way other people can be on the lookout for him and call you if they spot him.

blackkittens

Mother of Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I told others and did all that was said above.. Still no sign of him. Some people said they had seen a black cat running around but thought it was a stray. I checked everywhere.. :/

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good that somebody might have seen him. At least they will be looking out for him and let you know if they see him again.