I know it's a bit early but.....

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need alternative "Christmas tree" ideas. One of my new kitties climbs into the tree and hangs out in the branches. Last year I simply put the tree out without any ornaments...I don't even know what would happen if I had it decorated. I have too many cherished ornaments to take a chance on a traditional tree, but my joy at Christmas is my tree and my beautiful ornaments.
I've looked up "cat proof" Christmas trees, but not really liking what I'm seeing. I don't want to hang it from the ceiling, I don't want to put it in a cage...
I have thought of perhaps hanging several wreaths on my walls and hanging my ornaments on those. I have also thought about putting lights and garland around to whole perimeter of my living room (at the ceiling) and hanging my ornaments from that....I've also come across a few other ideas like...
1628255133135.png
1628255161746.png
1628255178591.png
1628255195821.png
1628255255923.png

Something like this where I could attach my ornaments on like a pegboard.....
1628255334512.png

Although I don't like the idea of an upside down hanging tree...this is kinda pretty...I could expand it a bit with additional wreaths or extending it around the whole ceiling???
1628255473209.png

So I need some help on how to showcase my ornaments (and lights....I need my sparkle!) It doesn't have to be a "tree" per se, but still I want it to feel like Christmas...any ideas?

Bynx likes to chew on...everthing...so it has to be off the ground.
Chester is a climber so I don't want it to be too inviting where he'll think it's a new cat perch.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my family stopped using trees after the first xmas we had with our first cat and each time my family tried again my sisters two cats put an end to those attempts with all the climbing and pine needles all over from their fur

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We wire our tree to the baseboard in the living room.Use green wire and nobody will know.
The tree falling over isn't the issue though, our tree is actually pretty sturdy in that sense. It's that he likes to climb it and bends all the branches and could destroy my ornaments...they are very playful kitties.
I need something that won't be inviting to climb and out of the way enough that it's not easily chewed on.
The examples in the pictures where they are on the wall...I would mount them out of the way not close to the floor if I decide on any of those.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This one is my favorite of all the pics you posted

1628266988108.png

I don't do decorations. It's just me so I don't see the point and Sophie would destroy them anyway. Nothing is safe when she gets the zoomies.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First point when we put lights on the trees the kittens killed it withing minutes. They ignored it mostly without the lights and the lovely little wires. I think there is something in the wire coating that attracts kittens and makes them want to chew on it.

We use non-breakable items -- satin covered Styrofoam balls - they come in different shapes and sizes. You can get the Styrofoam shapes at craft stores then sew the material on them. I guess you could glue it on, but I've never had any luck with craft glue.

Egg cartons = cut out the round parts spray paint whatever color you want, use a thread to make a loop (needle through the middle of the 'bell' shape) and you have hanging bells.

I suggest you stay away from sequins, pins to decorate the Styrofoam ( a lot of craft directions use straight pins don't go there) loops of thread rather than metal hooks to hang the objects on the tree. NO TINSEL very dangerous. Check any glue you use for toxic status. No toothpicks these can be swallowed and stab through throat, stomach and intestines. No Snow. Be careful with ribbons and yarn.

If you already knew the above, sorry.

There are a lot of non-breakable decorations available already made. Just test the ones you get - I like a five foot drop on to stone to be sure.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you do anything else for decorations?
naa we kinda stopped after that first xmas with that cat us kids were already almost teens by then and we all know anything new in a cats house must be investigated as a possible toy :lol:(swatted etc.)was just safer for the cat with no temptation around:lol: my ma decided. my baby sister tried again once after my mom died but the clean up of a decorated tree knocked over from both her cats playing and trying zoomies up a tree not heavy enough to be stable to hold their weightput an end to that. so its maybe a sad lil fake tree to pile presents around without stuff they can chew or eat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not too early for me. Thinking about fall and then Christmas keeps me from going insane with this miserable, hot summer. We always had a natural tree even though I had a couple cats of various ages. there was some climbing but mostly trying to drink the water. Get a good heavy stand, the kind that allows you to put water in but prevents cats from drinking from it. Put only breakable ornaments on the bottom and it will probably be fine.