I knew that was a bad idea...

aimerlee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went into Petco today to grab a toy for Bowser knowing it was adoption day. I usually get stuck there playing with all the cats and wanting to take them all home, but this was different. I saw this big black cat in a cage on the ground, hiding from everybody. He was about 20 pounds with beautiful green eyes and a clipped ear. I went up to the cage and he went right to me and started purring. He looked up at me with the saddest eyes I have ever seen. I read his papers. They don't know how old he is. He was abandoned in a filthy house for a month before the new owners moved in and found him. He was living off of toilet water! He obviously fattened up nicely, and I can't believe how sweet he is despite being abandoned like that. I ended up holding him in my arms for 20 minutes and had to force myself to leave because I know I can't have another cat right now. But when I got home, I still couldn't stop thinking about him so I contacted the rescue organization and they said he has been there for 6 months and I am the only person who has shown any interest. I feel so guilty and I don't know what to do... 

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is your reasoning behind getting another cat right now? I am asking, because I thought the same thing and we ended up with Google.... We also said the same thing about Kahlua when we got her lol. 

Is he currently in foster care? Maybe that would be a good route to go?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went into Petco today to grab a toy for Bowser knowing it was adoption day. I usually get stuck there playing with all the cats and wanting to take them all home, but this was different. I saw this big black cat in a cage on the ground, hiding from everybody. He was about 20 pounds with beautiful green eyes and a clipped ear. I went up to the cage and he went right to me and started purring. He looked up at me with the saddest eyes I have ever seen. I read his papers. They don't know how old he is. He was abandoned in a filthy house for a month before the new owners moved in and found him. He was living off of toilet water! He obviously fattened up nicely, and I can't believe how sweet he is despite being abandoned like that. I ended up holding him in my arms for 20 minutes and had to force myself to leave because I know I can't have another cat right now. But when I got home, I still couldn't stop thinking about him so I contacted the rescue organization and they said he has been there for 6 months and I am the only person who has shown any interest. I feel so guilty and I don't know what to do... 
Why can't you have another cat? Is it cause of a lease/homeowner issue? Or is it like with me, you just do not want over X (put in specified) number of cats.

In my case, I did not want more then X number of cats. Well, as some of you know, I have done rescue work and work as a vet tech part time. Plus having a full time job.

Anyway, a veterinarian told me about a very scared DLH, that also had terminal medical issues. The vet asked if I would simply "meet the cat". Well I saw a black and white long haired cat that was just terrified. But never aggressive at all. So after thinking about it for two weeks, I finally agreed to adopt her.

I am very glad I adopted Panda. She has gone with me on planes, over come her shyness and is one of my favorite cats. She still has "eyes only for me". However, she is far less scared in general. She is also doing well medically still.

So what is the point? The point is sometimes cats do need/pick us. Even if we did not intend to get another cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aimerlee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of reasons, unfortunately.

-I live in a very small apartment.

-My boyfriend is allergic to cats, and Bowser is already pushing it.

-My boyfriend also made me promise I'd only have one cat. He likes Bowser, but that's because he's extremely laid back and more dog like. My boyfriend is very protective over his stuff (he has a lot of collectibles) and Bowser has never tried to knock them down, has never scratched the furniture, etc. I'm sure Cosby is more cat-like than that, because it's almost unheard of for a cat not to mess with everything lol.
-My parents are extremely against it. I don't have a job right now and I'm a full time student, so I'm basically under their rules right now because they are covering my rent. I am looking for a job once this semester is over though, because I will have a much easier courseload starting in January.
-I travel a lot (about twice a month) between my place and my parents' place, which is about 2 hours away and I stay there for the weekend. I usually take Bowser with me. Bowser is very good in the car and loves visiting my parents' place, but I think it would be too much for Cosby because he's already been through a lot. Rudy (my parents' cat) gets along with Bowser alright, but he is very bad around new cats so I don't think I could take Cosby with me even if he could travel well.
-Bowser is good around other pets, but he is very needy. He is constantly following me around and he's used to having 100% of the attention. He's not an alpha like Rudy is, but I imagine he would get jealous.

I think I'm going to stay in contact with the organization and see what happens in the future. I can't stop thinking about him and I feel so guilty for not taking him home with me.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like the connection I had with Bunny when I met her.  My Mom was working with a client through the SPCA and she found Pumpkin.  I went with her to meet Pumpkin even though I'd just gotten married and moved out a few months earlier.  Well I saw Bunny and I could not get her out of my mind!!  Back then DH was pretty set on no cats because of his allergies.  Or at least a kitten we could get used to bathing.  Bunny had been adopted twice before. Given up for allergies and an owner moving away.  I really couldn't get her out of my mind.  It was so bad one of my best friends drove 45 minutes to loan my mother and I the money to adopt her!!  We picked up Pumpkin on Thursday.  Saturday morning was when my friend came down.  Mom called first thing to see if Bunny was still there. They said she was so Mom told them we were coming to get her.  It was super busy when I got there.  I was the first one so I went in....and she was gone!!  I nearly broke down right then and there!!

Fortunately my mother knows me very well and got herself through the line to ask about her.  We found out she was taken to Petsmart's adoption center!!  We knew we wanted her so we did the paperwork there and they had them hold her. All we had to do was go pick her up!  She went to live at my Mom's house (where she still is) where she became Pumpkins surrogate Mommy.  He was a tiny, sickly, dirty kitten.  She would snuggle him and bathe him.  Of course he repays her by attacking her still to this day.... 8 years later!  We now know Bunny has elimination issues.  I believe that is the real reason why she was given up.  She might smack the dogs; but other than that she is a total sweetheart!  She talks to us and loves to love on us!  Mom has figured out some of her issues; and fortunately they love her too.

So I said all that to say; sometimes they just belong with you.  Bunny and I still click.  I love her so much.  I don't know if another family could or would handle her issues.  She might not have had another chance! 

In April of 05 when DH and I adopted Mooch and Noodles they were actually in the same kennel Bunny had been in!  I found out from one of the workers that their Mom was also there.  Now that those 2 are grown I can tell that Mooch looks just like her Mama!  And I'm pretty sure she was in the kennel Pumpkin had been in!  Part of me regrets not trying to convince DH we needed her too.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of reasons, unfortunately.

-I live in a very small apartment.

-My boyfriend is allergic to cats, and Bowser is already pushing it.

-My boyfriend also made me promise I'd only have one cat. He likes Bowser, but that's because he's extremely laid back and more dog like. My boyfriend is very protective over his stuff (he has a lot of collectibles) and Bowser has never tried to knock them down, has never scratched the furniture, etc. I'm sure Cosby is more cat-like than that, because it's almost unheard of for a cat not to mess with everything lol.
-My parents are extremely against it. I don't have a job right now and I'm a full time student, so I'm basically under their rules right now because they are covering my rent. I am looking for a job once this semester is over though, because I will have a much easier courseload starting in January.
-I travel a lot (about twice a month) between my place and my parents' place, which is about 2 hours away and I stay there for the weekend. I usually take Bowser with me. Bowser is very good in the car and loves visiting my parents' place, but I think it would be too much for Cosby because he's already been through a lot. Rudy (my parents' cat) gets along with Bowser alright, but he is very bad around new cats so I don't think I could take Cosby with me even if he could travel well.
-Bowser is good around other pets, but he is very needy. He is constantly following me around and he's used to having 100% of the attention. He's not an alpha like Rudy is, but I imagine he would get jealous.

I think I'm going to stay in contact with the organization and see what happens in the future. I can't stop thinking about him and I feel so guilty for not taking him home with me.

Well as far as I am concerned, those are all very legitimate reasons not to have another cat.

I would also like to add that Bowser sounds like a very very cool cat. I would NOT risk the great relationship you have with him by adding another cat, that is just MHO. I would also like to to add, that if you keep in contact with the rescue organization, ask them how you could make him "more adoptable".

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, stay in contact and see what's happening with the cat. I hope it works out and that boy gets a good forever home. It's so sad.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really does sound like NOW is not the time for adding another cat in your life :(. It IS really hard to go into Petsmart/Petco when they have those adoption days and see the cats. I would stay in contact and just pray that this cat gets adopted to a good home very soon. Who knows..... down the road. You could always offer to foster this cat for a bit sometime and see how it goes. But now just doesn't seem like the right time. :hugs::hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aimerlee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't stop thinking about him. I have been looking everywhere for a picture of him, and I even asked the agency but they haven't responded. He's not on their site or petfinder. It's like he doesn't even exist! 

cr4zyc4tl4dy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why don't you try fostering him for awhile just to see how it goes... and if it doesn't work out, you could take him back or find a proper home for him yourself? :( this is such a difficult situation to be in.

I really really hope everything turns out well for you. 

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This just confirms why I avoid going to the pet store on adoption day :(