I Have Such Horrible Guilt About The Way My Cat Died

ekempb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 17 year old cat was no longer rating and had cancer. I knew it was time to let him go. He spend every minute on my lap and sleeping beside me. This morning I woke up to find he had died while trying to get on the kitchen table. He was hanging off my kitchen chair, his claws stuck in the fabric of my chair. He must have been too weak to get himself up to the table. That is how he died. Alone and without me. I can't imagine how he felt in his last moments. If only I had found him sooner. Oh god, my sweet boy died without me.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that this happened to you and your boy, it is horrible I know, but there was nothing much that you could have done, you had no idea that he was going to do that, please don't blame yourself for it. I know how you feel, November 2015 Sebastian became ill, he was very constipated but no one thought that he was going to die, the vets ran all tests and thought he would rebound, so we had to have him closed off in a section of the living room with his own litter box so we could see if he was going or not. November 23rd I came home to find him standing on the back of a chair, with his right leg caught in the mini blinds, blood and teeth marks on them, hanging on and when I finally got him free he passed in my arms, and that was such a catastrophic thing to have happen, to have him pass like that. The vet told me that being stuck didn't kill him, it was his time to go, and sometimes right before they pass they get a rush of adrenaline and maybe he was trying to climb the mini blinds or get out the window, so maybe your boy had the same thing happening but regardless it is so horrible to have them pass like this, but that was over two years ago and I can tell the story without feeling that sick feeling that I used to get, it still is upsetting to me but time has taken away it's "edge", and while this will hurt you for quite awhile with time you too will come to terms with it. And no matter how long we have them it is never long enough, but 17 years is a very good run, Sebastian was 16.5, but we wish that we had them more but they are fine now, no pain, not stuck on anything, perfectly fine and just waiting to see us again down the line and we will rejoice and hug them just like we did here on Earth when that time comes.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven".

I am sorry this happened, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ekempb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for this. It is so hard.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry. I agree with les26 les26 about the last rush of adrenaline. Our almost 18 year old kitty did the same, after being terribly weak and hardly able to walk, made a last minute dash just before the vet was to put her down. We felt awful thinking maybe she had some strength left in her, but that wasn't the case. It was just a last effort on her part. Please don't blame yourself. Sadly we can't be with them 24 hours a day. He died doing what cats do, trying to climb, though I know it hurt finding him like that. You're in my thoughts today. :hugs:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for this. It is so hard.
I know...it never gets any easier either, no matter how many cats we have, no matter how many times we go through it, it hurts as bad as it possibly can hurt, the heartache is almost too much to handle, but we do....somehow, we do.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a traumatic thing for you to deal with. It was not your fault. I've had two cats die alone and i know how hard it is to deal with the guilt. You were there in his heart.:alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Again, you could not have known. You could not have known. I know it hurts, but there is no cause for guilt, so please don't go there. Your precious cat knew he was loved every moment of his life. Every single moment. More than that, we cannot ask.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to hang on to the fact that his heart was filled with your love, his soul was filled with the bond that holds your love together. He couldn't die alone when he was in the place and near the one he loved above all else. Separation never lessens the love. I posted in your other post, know you are not alone in your feelings and that we have stood in your shoes. Please hold on and work through this pain, time is truly the only thing that helps to lessen it.
Cats are very special, they hide their pain from the ones they love, they often seek solitude to die so they don't add more pain to a broken heart. Your boy died at home , surrounded by all he loves the most, doing what he did all his life. He died on his terms. He would never want to break your heart, he loves you too much, focus on the fact he is at peace now, and will continue to send his love through the bond that will never be broken.
I cry for your pain, I have been there too. It crushes the soul and takes away all joy in your life. But have faith, you will find your boy only wants happiness in your life, it is as he would want for the one he loves above all else. You WILL get through this, use the love you had for each other to take that first step back into the land of the living. Take care..... RIP precious boy, good night, sleep tight little Prince!