I have jury duty tomorrow......

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in NYC, anything can happen! A friend of mine told me one of his jury duty experiences, he served 18 months for federal court in the 1980's....... 18 months! The cases he was juror for were just like the movie 'Goodfellas', no joke! I was in shock
!
Hopefully things are not as bad as back then but the last time I was called in was when P. Ditty was in court for gun possession, when he was with J. Lo, and it was a madhouse!
We will see what happens, hopefully I will have to entertain myself this time

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in NY too...and I served Jury duty it wasn't so bad...even though I was asked to be on the jury...I thought it was a wonderfully educational experience seeing our legal system in action.

Bring a book!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've never been called for jury duty....and I'd like to be, just to see what's all involved.

I hope yours doesn't last very long. And hopefully, it will be very dull.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that doing jury duty in the summer in NYC is really quick and painless.
I swear, when I've gone in the summer, I'm out in 1 or 2 days - sometimes 3.

Judges are on vacation, nothing's going on. Hopefully you'll get a book read and be released in a day!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't want to serve, simply tell them it will be financial hardship for you to be missing work (jury duty doesn't pay much). Or you could tell them that you don't feel that you can get beyond your personal biases to render a non-bias verdict.

Both of those are guaranteed to not get you on a jury.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been to jury duty 3 or 4 times here in NJ and hated it. It was really boring sitting there waiting to see if you will be called for a case. I was called for a case one time but as an alternate. After hearing the attorney give the opening statement, I and the other alternate were asked to leave but we couldn't go home yet. We had to stick around in case one of the other jurors were not up to standard.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd love to do jury duty!. My late husband had to do it and one of the cases was a 16 year old girl who accused a man in his 30's of raping her, but these Barristers are so clever at catching people out because it turned out she made the whole thing up