I have carpenter ants!!!!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found (at least part of) the nest...sort of....
We've always had ants in and around the home, the little ones, but the last 2-3 years I noticed things seemed worse as I was noticing carpenter ants as well. Around the time we noticed the ants, was also the time where we replaced the shed roof...you guessed it....due to carpenter ant damage.
I'm freaking out!
I was outside in the flowerbed today and a carpenter ant was dragging some food heading towards my house. Because I've suspected a possible issue (although I thought the nest was outside) I follow it. It crawled it way in a little crevice, where the caulking around my front door is dry and cracked, and went in the house. CRAP!
So I investigated further, and low and behold, in the house, in the ceiling part of the crawl space, adjacent/below where the front door is...I found the sawdust.
I also noticed that the front door, is slightly off. We don't use the front door so I didn't notice if it was sticking or anything. Out house is also not very square anyway as it's older. The floors always creaked in some spots, some doors (indoor) were always "off"....I am praying that there isn't too much damage to the house.
Over the next couple of days I will be going thru the crawl space with a fine tooth comb, cleaning and re-organizing. It's so full of junk that I need to so the exterminator can have better access.
I want to cry!
My husband will hopefully be able to get a good deal thru his contacts, but of course regardless, we have to do what we have to do.

Has anyone ever had carpenter ants and the damage wasn't too bad?

Any advice?

:censored: :bawling: :jawdrop:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
We have these little b******s all over. Old home built in 1840s. They took out the front porch a couple of years ago. Cost a fortune to rebuild it because it has a historical designation and had to be rebuilt from the ground up to today's code while retaining the original appearance.

For some reason they show up in the bathroom of the loft. They ignore the ant traps and never seem to leave.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI, with the research I've done...ant traps are useless for carpenter ants.

Are you going to get an exterminator??? Sounds like you need to.

They are attracted to moisture in wood...If they're in the loft bathroom...check that you don't have a leak somewhere.

Oh and also?....your porch story is not very comforting ;) :lol: