I Have A Seventeen Year Old Cat That Meows Most Of The Time, Including During The Night To Wake Me.

Ritas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Tigger about four years ago along with his son when his previous mom (owner) passed away. He has always been a good cat. His son passed away 2.5 years ago and he started to decline. He is diabetic, has IBS, hyperthyroid and congestive heart failure. I take him to a "cat vet" which is were his previous owner took him. It is very expensive and they require visits every three months or so. I'm retired and it does put a strain on my budget. I wanted to mention this because everyone tells me I'm nuts for doing that. He is also on medications for all the above illnesses. Now Tigger has more days that he demands attention and meows. I give him food but he is fussy in addition to "baby food". I'm in the process of getting my house up for sale which is stressful enough but Tigger is also stressed which makes me more stressed. He is also on pain meds twice a day for any discomfort he may have. I don't really want to spend additional money for another ultrasound to see if there is something else happening. I'm feeling guilty for thinking that it may be best to euthanize him. I do love him but he is stressing me out so much I don't have patience any longer and I don't want him to be in discomfort. Please help.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At his age, there may be some feline dementia going on as well. Until very recently there were no treatments for this, but I did read a day or two ago that a treatment approved for dogs seems to do well for cats, too. Let me see if I can find it...

AH HA! Here it is...and that drug was mentioned in several other articles, as well.

Cat Dementia: Common Causes & Management | Canna-Pet

Another thought is that his hearing may be starting to go. That can cause cats to become very vocal, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ritas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the vet and I have agreed that he is probably losing his hearing and his sight to some degree. We are also sure there is some dementia. The vet runs blood work every few months and added more thyroid meds a couple of months ago. I can't believe how many meds he is on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ritas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mamanty: I will look into the meds fordementia. I had another cat that had dementia but he didn't meow this much.
Thanks everyone

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are very welcome. That's what we are here for. Keep us posted on how your Grand Old Man is doing, and don't be a stranger! You're part of the community here, now.