I Have A Few Questions

DropZeBait

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, first time posting here.
I've always had dogs growing up, never had a cat. and I when I moved out to live on my own I decided to adopt a kitten, I got him when he was 9 weeks old, and he's 11 weeks as of today.
But seeing as I have very little experience with cats nor with kittens I thought this might be a good place to ask a few questions.
Firstly, He is a very social and outgoing cat, follows me around, sits and naps on my lap, enjoys play sessions, but also likes rough play, and personally, I don't mind getting a few scratches. I want him to enjoy these moments, but I have no idea how to let him know that the playtime is over, I usually put it on the ground, or back to '' his place ''.
The thing I'd like to ask is : Is it unwise to rough play with your kitten? will he learn that it's playful and have no intentions to hurt you, or when he gets older, and therefor stronger actually start to hurt me then?

Second question,
From the day I got him, he understood the litterbox, he goes there every time, he doesn't have '' accidents '' downstairs, where the litterbox is, however when he goes upstairs with me when I am going to bed, he comes with me, but then pees in my bed. I let the doors open so he could go downstairs, but he just decides to pee on my bed covers. Friends of mine, who have owned cats for year told me to drag him trough his own pee, I am not going to do that. ever. I feel that it's my mistake for him not understanding this yet. but I'd like some assistance or advice on how to fix this behavior ? do I get an extra litterbox, or do I not take him upstairs untill he's older, and or spayed by then?

Third question :
I have noticed some black / dark stuff in his nose and ears,
( it looks a bit like the dark stuff you have with a pencil eraser.
I have been able to clean it from his nose, but I am not comfortable going into his ears..
what is this? is it common? could it be a disease ?

Thanks a bunch in advance !

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, welcome to the forums!

To answer your questions:

I would suggest to never play with your cat using your body. It may be cute when they are little to let them nibble on your hand but it will hurt when they are older. They may also learn that your hand is a toy and not let you pet them when they are older. If your kitten tries to pounce on you or bite you, redirect them with a toy that they can pounce and chew on. Or just keep your hand completely still and have a word like “NO” or “STOP” that you say firmly until they stop biting.

If your kitten had peed on your bed I would advise to get completely new sheets. Even if you wash them your kitten will still smell its own pee and associate your bed with a litter box. You might have to place a litter box next to your bed and slowly move it out of the bedroom.

Sounds like your kitten might have ear mites. I would get him checked by the vet. If it’s mites it is an easy fix, don’t worry. I would get him checked by the vet either way if he hasn’t been checked already. It’s common for kittens to have worms and need deworming. Also make sure you are keeping up with his core shots.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DropZeBait

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, welcome to the forums!

If your kitten had peed on your bed I would advise to get completely new sheets. Even if you wash them your kitten will still smell its own pee and associate your bed with a litter box. You might have to place a litter box next to your bed and slowly move it out of the bedroom.

Good luck!
I got new bedcovers yesterday, but I am afraid that If I let him on them he'd pee again and I have to buy new ones yet again.

I've always liked '' rought play '' with my dogs, and it sometimes ended with some scratches, or whatever. I really don't mind. but the thing I am worried about that he would do it to my girlfriend, and she does not like rough play. I hope they understand that I am Ok with it, and other people might not, if that is not the case I'll stop doing rough play obviously!

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The black stuff in the ears could be ear mites or something like a yeast infection? Never heard of black stuff also being in the nose, though? Not sure about that. Is there any discharge from his eyes?

11 weeks is still pretty young for a kitten to use the litter box perfectly. He's still a toddler in human years. Some confusion/forgetfulness is bound to happen. People will often suggest that you should keep him in a single room for a few days with the litter box, so that's all he can use when he has to pee. It should make using the litter box a permanent habit.

My kitty was very head-strong and refused to stay in just one room. So instead, right after she ate, I would show her to the litter box and scratch around in it with my finger (with clean litter, of course). I did it often enough that she started getting impatient with me. ("Yes, yes, I know. I already know how to use it. You don't have to show me again.") It worked, though. She never peed outside the litter box again.

And yeah, it's not a good idea to wipe their noses in the pee, or force them to touch it. They may grow to resent you if you do that. My parents used to do it, with varying success. But many people will tell you it's not a nice thing to do.

As for the playing.. Most kittens play roughly. If you do play with him with your hands, simply squeal/meow if he is being too rough. That's what other kittens will do when they are being attacked too harshly. Afterward, the attacking kitty will usually subside a little, as the intention was not to hurt its companion. Since your kitty doesn't have any other playmates, you'll have to be the one to "squeal" when he's being too rough. He'll learn over time what's okay and what's not okay.

It's unlikely he'll become vicious toward you over time. Cats show affection by playing. Playing with him will help strengthen your bond.

And anyway, as kittens age, they tend to be less rough in general when they play.

Hope that helps. :) I'm sure other people here will have better advice.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I got new bedcovers yesterday, but I am afraid that If I let him on them he'd pee again and I have to buy new ones yet again.

I've always liked '' rought play '' with my dogs, and it sometimes ended with some scratches, or whatever. I really don't mind. but the thing I am worried about that he would do it to my girlfriend, and she does not like rough play. I hope they understand that I am Ok with it, and other people might not, if that is not the case I'll stop doing rough play obviously!
A cat is not going to understand that your hand is a toy but your girlfriend's isn't.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It will really depend on the cat for whether or not they end up playing rough with others. For example, I know a cat that played rough with hands all the time when he was a kitten and now that he’s older he will immediately bite any hand that tries to pet him. He’s not doing it out of anger, it’s just because he thinks hands are a toy.... and let me tell you, it hurts! I prefer to just not take the risk and don’t play with cats with my body. Your kitten still has baby teeth but when his adult teeth start to come in around 5 months it will already start to hurt much more.

It’s also good to be able to differentiate between a play bite, an angry bite, and an affectionate bite. A play bite is easy to spot because the cat will be inviting you to play by pouncing and biting on you. If their ears go back or they growl or hiss, it is an angry bite. And affectionate bites are usually random, sometimes while the cat is even purring. For example, my kitten wakes me up in the morning purring and rubbing on my face.. and also biting my chin. Cats use bites to communicate in a lot of ways. But I like to teach cats that play bites are only okay with toys.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fiorya fiorya has a good idea for showing the kitten the litter box right after a meal. Cats usually use the toilet after they eat so it’s a good time to do so. I would also put an extra litter box in your bedroom for now so that you can redirect your kitten to it from your bed. Then you can slowly move it out of your bedroom when he uses it regularly.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The general rule about litter boxes is one for each cat, plus an extra one though it can depend on the cat whether or not it's necessary. However, since you have more than one floor, I would put one on each floor so that way he can always reach one. It could be hard for him to be able to get to the litter box in time.

As far as rough housing goes, I believe it's entirely up to you and your cat. Most kittens enjoy it, but some adult cats don't. It's important that you don't try to force the cat into it if he tires of it or simply doesn't want it. It's also risky. Your cat might be fine and learn to be gentle and not do it with anyone else. But then he might get too rough and go after everyone's hands. I do believe animals can learn who to rough house with and how far they can take it. My dog did. You can see a noticeable difference between how she plays with me and how she plays with my mom as well as how she plays with my dad, and she never tries to rough house with anyone who doesn't provoke it in some way. How you go about teaching a cat, I don't know. The dog kind of figured it out on her own.

Personally, I have three cats. Of those three, only one likes to rough house at all. Not often and not for very long, but on occasion he seems to enjoy it. He only does it if I scratch his belly or sides a certain way and he happens to be in a playful mood. He's also never drawn blood. Not to say it doesn't hurt as it can at times (especially when he starts bunny kicking), but he's actually very gentle. Again, he does this on his own. So, in the end, it's up to you to decide if you're willing to risk it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DropZeBait

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The general rule about litter boxes is one for each cat, plus an extra one though it can depend on the cat whether or not it's necessary. However, since you have more than one floor, I would put one on each floor so that way he can always reach one. It could be hard for him to be able to get to the litter box in time.

As far as rough housing goes, I believe it's entirely up to you and your cat. Most kittens enjoy it, but some adult cats don't. It's important that you don't try to force the cat into it if he tires of it or simply doesn't want it. It's also risky. Your cat might be fine and learn to be gentle and not do it with anyone else. But then he might get too rough and go after everyone's hands. I do believe animals can learn who to rough house with and how far they can take it. My dog did. You can see a noticeable difference between how she plays with me and how she plays with my mom as well as how she plays with my dad, and she never tries to rough house with anyone who doesn't provoke it in some way. How you go about teaching a cat, I don't know. The dog kind of figured it out on her own.

Personally, I have three cats. Of those three, only one likes to rough house at all. Not often and not for very long, but on occasion he seems to enjoy it. He only does it if I scratch his belly or sides a certain way and he happens to be in a playful mood. He's also never drawn blood. Not to say it doesn't hurt as it can at times (especially when he starts bunny kicking), but he's actually very gentle. Again, he does this on his own. So, in the end, it's up to you to decide if you're willing to risk it.
It appears he knows the difference, he can sit and sleep on my lap and be very very gentle, but he just enjoys rough play as well. so I am going to risk it. and if it doesn't work out, meh own fault! Thanks for the advice! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears he knows the difference, he can sit and sleep on my lap and be very very gentle, but he just enjoys rough play as well. so I am going to risk it. and if it doesn't work out, meh own fault! Thanks for the advice! :)
Happy to help! Most people disapprove of rough housing with a cat, but all cats are different and I believe some can handle the opportunity to play like that. My own cat proves it is possible and, considering none of my three cats have ever intentionally hurt me, I think they are aware that we can't handle quite as much claws as they can. If I decided to take that risk, I would probably do what I could to teach the cat to be gentle and that it's not always appropriate. One thing I learned with the dog is that, if you let them start it too many times, they'll want it constantly, so it's best if you're the one to start the play session at least the majority of the time.