I hate living near the hospital and the airport

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear the darn sirens all day and night.

And don't get me started on the planes
While I know if I needed to get to the hospital I could drive there faster than the abulance could get me there I still dislike being this close.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been living about 20 minutes (driving) down the street from the major airport here for just over a year now, and it's right alongside a highway (our balcony overlooks it) and down the street from a different highway. Fortunately these are frequent and dull sounds, so even though we're very close and having moved from a nice small city and living in a forest-turned-cul-de-sac most of my life, the noises were very distracting for the first week or two, they've now become white noise.

The sirens are what would give me issue. I have a friend who lives closer to the downtown core and ambulances will go by infrequently but she says it's not a problem anymore. It's just something you can drown out at home eventually.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's only occasionally that the airport is an issue and that's when some really large plane is passing over and you can hear it fly over for 3-5 minutes.

and the sirens well there were probably about 20 or so accidents in and around where i live. for a while it was like every 2 minutes I'd hear another one.

people here CANNOT drive in the rain.

when it's a medium ish rain there's:

those flying around with no wipers or headlights.

those going 10mph with hazards on and wipers on max

and then the sen sable people with lights on, and wipers on high intermittent.

And it was raining bad today.

there's a reason that i avoid the highway like the plague and try to leave for work before rush hour and usually i get stuck in rush hour on my way home. I don't wanna stay late at work nor should i even expect to be able to leave early to beat rush hour. If every did that, rush hour would just get earlier. luckily i dont have to take the free way to work :)

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I could handle the noise of accidents all the time. We're right in the middle of two fire stations on the same street, but I'm very glad we don't hear their sirens all too often (either that, or I've drowned those out too!). It seems like the most optimal places for loud objects clusters into a small area, now that I think about it! I've only been disturbed (woken up) by one accident along the highway in the last year, just the crash sound, but I stayed up to see what happened.

Is the location good for you otherwise? It really is a juggling act to weigh the good and the bad. If it was really awful, I would have left by now... but we joke that when we move, if we move away from the airports and highways and into a nice quiet suburban neighbourhood that we won't be able to sleep without all that noise.

We like our place because it's relatively close to my school, relatively close to the subway station/line, has nearby transit stops, is close to the highway so we can hop on and off for visits home and whatnot, and I was able to find a part-time job literally a ten minute walk away. The downside is the vets are far away, the air quality is god awful, sometimes the planes are loud, and once in a while there are sirens and the nearby neighbourhoods (not ours) are on the sketchier side. But it's home now!

My aunt lived in a nice little neighbourhood about a half hour away from us, but when she found out they were planning construction for a GO train line nearby, she sold her house and bought another one about 45 minutes north to avoid the noise, even though it meant leaving behind the entire ethnic community and church she knew. GO train or no GO train, had I the money or means to get to and from my needs, I would have bought her house!

Last edited:

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have grown to hate the location. The only access point is from a VERY busy road. So in the mornings when everyone is trying to leave the line will be 20-30 cars long at 630am. it's a stop sign not a light. and there's two apartment complexes back here. And this is to turn RIGHT.  And not even 500 feet from where you turn out is the access ramp to the freeway. So when the freeway backs up due an accident, getting out is nearly impossible. It should only take me 10 minutes to get to work but because of this line I have to budget 30-40 minutes to sit in traffic waiting to turn. ick.

the apartments themselves are really nice. I have all black appliances including microwave :) washer and dryer is included in the rent. it's a gated community, I live on the third (top) floor so no upstairs neighbors :) I also have valet trash. I put my trashbag outside my door Sunday night through Thursday night and they pick it up :)  It costs $20 and there is no way to opt out, but its amazing :) plus the office is AMAZING. They let me renew my lease for just 6 months ( i knew i was moving soon, but not quite when) at the 12 month price :) and it was only up $5 from the inital one :)

Im moving away here in two weeks to a completely different state and I've only been here for a little over a year.  otherwise yeah, I woulda moved when my lease expired. the location is getting worse and worse. last year it wasn't that bad, then another apartment complex opened next to mine and it got bad.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the traffic would drive me the most crazy.  My old job was in an old, downtown building.  So it was basically the width of a sidewalk and then the street.  The office was close to the police station on one side and up a bit further on the other was the fire station.  So yep; sirens!  Every now and then a heavy truck would rattle the windows; but being old and pretty narrow streets; they weren't going very fast.  That building has actually been hit by cars 2 or 3 times now.  Most of the building is a senior day program and they are right on the corner where there is a light.  I think the building has been hit when people fail to see the light change and have to swerve.  

Where i live we have regular dump truck noise.  I got used to that fast; but we've been going through a little thing where my 2 year old wants to get up way early to watch the trucks.  
  Airplane noises don't bother me and neither do trains.  Now crop dusters.  Those make me: 
.  Especially the one that decided to do his dusting at like 6:30 am on a weekend!  No no noooo.....  No! 

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
normal plane noise I'm used to, it's the MASSIVE ones that you can hear for 3-5 minutes instead of like 45 seconds.

plus our airport is also where the airforce has an airport.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up five minutes from an international airport, then moved across the Atlantic and spent the first 10 years or so here living close to a major U.S. AFB, so planes don't faze me. For decades I taught at a city school with two major hospitals within a three-block radius. The sirens would often force me to stop talking for a couple of minutes, but the rescue helicopters made more noise.

Construction work bothers me more.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a small town near the fire station, ambulance garage and a major highway.  BTW, the parking lot at the fire station is also the landing pad for the medical helicopter from the Mayo Clinic.  It's the helicopter that I notice most since it usually flies directly over my house and makes the windows rattle when it's coming in for a landing, and then they have to keep the motors running while they stabilize the patient enough for the trip to Rochester.  But once the helicopter lifts off again, it's gone in a second and peace and quiet return.

The highway noise has become white noise and the sirens don't bother me too much unless it's the middle of the night.

Last edited: