I got summoned for jury duty. Blech!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have to serve!

There are many ways to get out of jury duty.

1. Financial hardship
2. Physical health
3. Bias opinion about the case/person/crime etc.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wasn't it Mark Twain who said something about the problem with the jury system is that it's so hard to find people who don't know anyone or anything and don't read any newspapers, but are still intelligent enough to serve on a jury.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rianna

They can pull your name from the DMV database or if you receive any social services. It depends on the state.
I don't get any services and I don't have a driver's license either.

My mom got them to reschedule once, she has a bad knee and was having rehab on it at the time, and she would have had to get there on public transportation. She was afraid she wouldn't be able to climb the stairs to the bus/train.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been called a number of times for jury duty, and have never actually served yet. Too bad, because my employer pays me 10 hours of pay every day I serve.

The last time was for a drunk-driving case. I told the judge and lawyers that I was a trucker, a million-miler plus (no at-fault accidents in 1,000,000 miles), but I had been hit by 3 drunks in that time. They decided they didn't want me.

The time before that, we all went to the courtroom hall and waited to be called in. Lots of gray-haired white people. The lawyer looked out at us, went back in, and the defendent took a plea deal.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh, jury duty is not fun. Actually serving, I think, would be neat..but the waiting and questioning. UGH indeed!

I had to go last year, on my 21st birthday. Yeah, fun way to spend a day! I was told by friends and family, that because my (at the time) Fiance was a corrections officer, they would not take me. We all assumed I would then get to go home pretty much immediately. Try again. I was there from 8am to 4 pm, with out a single bite of food, and I didn't eat breakfast. That was a horrible birthday, lol.

It was neat though. One of the people on trial was on DH's floor in the jail. Another guy's lawyer was pretty much interrogating us, the judge had to repeatedly remind him that WE were not on trial. He would ask the same question 3 or 4 times, wording it differently in attempts to trip us up. It was odd.

Oh, and, a creepy guy in his 20's tried to get me to walk the 10 or so blocks to the cars with him. I refused, so he spend the entire wait, the ride on the bus, and my walk to my car, trying to convince me to go somewhere with him. Ick. He didn't get the hint with the engagement ring either. It was NOT a fun time.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jury Duty can be very interesting. I have served on 4 juries in my lifetime.

First case was a young couple that were arrested for resisting arrest and striking a police officer. They were in a bar and were asked to leave which they did, but the girl forgot her purse. The young man went in to get it and a police officer put a choke hold on the guy. He passed out and while they were standing around him, he woke up and being disoriented, struck out at the officer. We found them innocent because if they had just let him retrieve the purse, none of that would have happened.

Second case was a shoplifting case. This lady who always represents herself (big mistake) was arrested for stealing some meat from a local grocery store. Her story was she "bought" the meat earlier in the day and then proceeded to walk about a mile to a department store, then walk back to the mall across from the grocery store staying there for an hour or so, then back to the grocery store where she decided to put the meat she had bought a few hours earlier in her purse! The problem was is that it was July and over 100 degrees that day. The meat was still cold!!!!!! Guilty, guilty, guilty! We found out after the trial she had another case pending for welfare fraud! She always defended herself and she always lost. This was not her first case.

Third was a drug case. The police officer's testimony was spot on. The defendant's witnesses couldn't even get their stories straight. Of we found him guilty of running a meth lab.

Fourth was a petty theft. This was declared a mistrial. The prosecutor brought of the fact that the defendant had been in jail at one time. A big no no! We just looked at each other and shook our heads. Next morning it was declared a mistrial.

There were other cases that I interviewed for and was excused. One was a lawsuit where one of the attorneys represented me as a defendant of a lawsuit.

But I learned a lot about the jury system and the legal process. I think everyone should sit on at least one jury. It certainly opens one's eyes.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never been called, but I think it would be interesting. DH, on the other hand, has been twice. The last time he said the room was hot, crowded, and the person next to him didn't smell pleasant (pleasant being my word, not his.) I am convinced it was more fun than DH indicated.