I got a kitty two days ago and she ran outside before she got accustom to my house maybe! Need peopl

kittythrowaway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten got out last night and she has only been at her new home for two days now. She only got a chance to eat a few times and use her litter box. I am worried that she tried to go back to her original home because its 25 miles away and heavy traffic. Does anyone have a story about a new kitty that ran out and came back or did not come back?

Thank you. I was starting to get attached and I just named her Eva.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My kitten got out last night and she has only been at her new home for two days now. She only got a chance to eat a few times and use her litter box. I am worried that she tried to go back to her original home because its 25 miles away and heavy traffic. Does anyone have a story about a new kitty that ran out and came back or did not come back?

Thank you. I was starting to get attached and I just named her Eva.
Hi and welcome!

She is most definitely NOT acclimated, you don't mention her age or whether she has been indoor/outdoor in her past.

This will help determine what she is doing and where she would be now.

If she has been an indoor cat, she will be very close by, right in your yard or around your house. She will be hiding and frightened, and calling her she will not come out, it is up to you to find where she is stashed.

Likely will be very hidden, under bushes, in some small hiding spot, it will help to look at night with a flashlight.

If she is not found very soon, please put canned food out for her, she has to eat and drink. This might also help draw her out.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably ran out, became very frightened because she did not recognize any of the sights, smells, or sounds, and hunkered down in the first hiding place she could find. She's lost, so you have a better chance of finding her than she does of finding you. The best time to look for her is at dusk, because cats are more comfortable when it gets darker and are more likely to come out and walk around. Take a flashlight and shine it under bushes and cars and anywhere that she could be hiding. If the beam of light hits her, her eyes will glow and she'll be very easy to spot. 

Get in contact with whoever was taking care of her before, and see if there are any words or sounds she is familiar with, like the word "dinner" or the crinkling of a bag of her favorite treats. Make this noise or say this word over and over and over as you walk around so she can follow that sound and come find you. If you stop making the sound, she'll lose track of you as you walk. She's likely very close by.

The good news is that she's a kitten, so even though she doesn't know you very well yet she's going to be more trusting than an adult cat and easier to approach and pick up. Putting food out is worth a try too, especially something pungent that she can smell from a distance. Just be careful of other wildlife getting to it first, and you may want to take it in during the night. And of course, the standard putting up flyers and asking your neighbors if they've seen her are good things to do!