I gave Snickers his first bath. Yay!

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been debating about giving Snickers a bath for days. I've been tired of looking at all the grime all over his feet from being a stray. I've also been mortified of the thought of a cat gone psycho in the bathtub!

I don't know what got into me this afternoon, but I had a moment of Super Nerve and just decided to see what happened. I got a nice warm tub full of water ready, a jug full of soapy water, and a bucket of clean water. (He really needs to be scrubbed, but I didn't want to make it last too long the first time.) I bribed him into the bathroom with a bag of treats, picked him up, and deposited him in the tub. At first he froze. I thought he was going to freak out. But I just held him by the scruff real lightly and kept talking to him as I washed him off, telling him what a good boy he was. He eventually just stood there and let me. By the time I was rinsing him off, he was like a wet noodle and I didn't have to scruff him anymore, just hold him. He didn't like the towel-drying part at all, but as long as he let me wash him, I figured that was the big hurdle.

I am now a mix of proud of myself for doing it and guilty I made him so soggy.
He did purr a few minutes ago when I went to rub the sides of his face, so I'm guessing he isn't too mad at me.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thats wonderful! I tried washing a cat once (he was medhair and had found the horses behind our house, I'm sure you can guess what happened then) and I swear he took half my skin off, got out of the tub three times and finally the only way we could do it was with three people
I wish he had been that easy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I thought for sure he was going to freak out and remove all the skin on at least one of my arms. I'm fairly sure he's never had a bath before this. I'm SO glad he was a lot calmer than I expected him to be!

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hooray for you! Sounds like you did a good job of preparing to make Snickers' bath the least stressful experience possible! And he certainly deserves alot of love for behaving so well for you! I have 3 6mo. old kittens who get monthly baths, and it is not our favorite thing to do. However, they are fairly cooperative, and very, very forgiving!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, I'm glad he was so well behaved. Perhaps he knew you were only trying to help him. Now he's nice and clean for some extra lovin'.

angelwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heheh. I give my cats baths all the time (once a month or so). What kind of shampoo did you use?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't have any kitty shampoo, unfortunately, so I diluted some of my son's baby wash in some water and used that. I figured that was gentle enough not to hurt his skin.

Now that I know I can bathe him, some shampoo will be on my next shopping list.

angelwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

I didn't have any kitty shampoo, unfortunately, so I diluted some of my son's baby wash in some water and used that. I figured that was gentle enough not to hurt his skin.

Now that I know I can bathe him, some shampoo will be on my next shopping list.
Oh no, yeah definitely get a shampoo that is made for cats as human shampoo (baby or not) is not suitable for them. If you can find the Nature's Specialties brand I would recommend that. Never use a tar and sulfur based shampoo on your cat. Good luck for next time!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

I've been debating about giving Snickers a bath for days. I've been tired of looking at all the grime all over his feet from being a stray. I've also been mortified of the thought of a cat gone psycho in the bathtub!

I don't know what got into me this afternoon, but I had a moment of Super Nerve and just decided to see what happened. I got a nice warm tub full of water ready, a jug full of soapy water, and a bucket of clean water. (He really needs to be scrubbed, but I didn't want to make it last too long the first time.) I bribed him into the bathroom with a bag of treats, picked him up, and deposited him in the tub. At first he froze. I thought he was going to freak out. But I just held him by the scruff real lightly and kept talking to him as I washed him off, telling him what a good boy he was. He eventually just stood there and let me. By the time I was rinsing him off, he was like a wet noodle and I didn't have to scruff him anymore, just hold him. He didn't like the towel-drying part at all, but as long as he let me wash him, I figured that was the big hurdle.

I am now a mix of proud of myself for doing it and guilty I made him so soggy.
He did purr a few minutes ago when I went to rub the sides of his face, so I'm guessing he isn't too mad at me.
Congratulations!
If I ever do give my cats a bath, I will have DW standing by to take pictures. Even though you did not include pictures, I can just imagine the whole scenario by your vivid description.