I gave my cat Metamucil

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, a few years back my vet told me to give my cat 1/4 teaspoon of Metamucil whenever he is constipated. Today I picked up some from the store without realizing it was orange flavor not plain kind. After mixing it in the wet food I noticed the bottle said orange and looked at the back and it said ingredients psyllium husk and aspartame. Is that bad? I’m not going to give him anymore out of this container but I’m really worried about the aspartame.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure the vet said Metamucil and not Miralax? Miralax or generic equivalent is commonly used for constipation in cats.

Aspartame is not good for cats but the small amount you give isn't toxic. At most it'll cause an upset tummy. Do not give any more Metamucil until you can speak with the vet and confirm the name of the product to use and the dose. Metamucil is available as unflavored but due to pandemic related supply issues and whatnot, only the orange flavor is the one you'll see in stores.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, i agree. I often give 1/4 tsp Miralax for constipation. The amount you gave should be OK, just dont give more until you verify it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the email he sent me says Metamucil 😬

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahow1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The dose he emailed me said 1/4 teaspoon Metamucil

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would double check with the vet again to be sure and if you could try Miralax instead. Miralax is unflavored. If you're not in the US, the same product may be called PEG or Osmolax. The ingredient is polyethylene gylcol 3350.