I found a wallet

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went out with a friend for dinner, and after dinner we decided to take in a late movie.  Typically we go to McDonalds after a movie and sit and have an ice cream and just chat for awhile to catch up on life.  I am lactose intolerant and can't have ice cream without gulping down 3 or 4 extra strength lactaid tablets, and even then it's "iffy".   I checked my purse but only had a couple pills left, so I suggested we do ice cream another day. Nope! She wanted ice cream tonight!! So we drove out of our way from the movie theater area to a pharmacy where I could buy some lactaid pills and we could buy some snacks to hide in our purses for the movie!  LOL

On the way back to the van I saw something partially under the side of the van, and looked closer: it was a wallet.

I picked  it up and started to look through it. There was a $5 bill, some change, a credit card and a bunch of ID.  I didn't see anything with a phone number, but I did find the Driver's License.  We discussed leaving it inside the Shopper's Drug Mart, and then decided to just drive to the person's home and deliver it to her in person.

The street she lived on is in what is known as "the core area", which isn't a very nice area of town at all.  Scarey in fact.  So we decided to see what the area and house looked like before either of us went to the door!   Apparently that street improves the further west it goes, and the area was actually very nice and it was a lovely looking home.

It was after 10pm but the lights were still on.  So I went and rang the door bell. I could see the wallet owner inside, a couple of small children playing and an older man.  He answered the door. I asked if "Maria" lived there, and she came to the door. I handed her her wallet and told her that I found it outside the Shopper's Drug Mart, and apologized for having had to look through it, but I needed to in order to find out who it belonged to, and I assured her that everything was intact.

She had just gotten home not long before we arrived and she hadn't even noticed her wallet missing. She was very happy to get it back.

We never did go for ice cream!  My friend worked nights from Thursday to Friday morning and didn't sleep at all when she got home, so she fell asleep 1/2 way through the movie, and my stomach was feeling upset from dinner (Sushi).

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done, you! I am also very wary of handing over anything I find to a private person - I would take it to the police. But to find the actual owner is cool.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That happened to me several years ago. I was out walking and found a wallet along the side of the road. There wasn't anything in it, other than a drivers license and some other forms of ID. We live in a rural area and trying to find an address when it just says "R.D.#1 Box 288" is difficult. I did look up the guy's name in the phone book, found the name, called and left a message. But the guy never called me back and two days later, I turned the wallet over to the police. (I always wondered if maybe the wallet had been stolen and then thrown out of a vehicle.)