I Feel So Guilty

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry in advance for how long this is inevitably going to be.

I had an account on here years ago to seek advice on a kitten and have since forgot what it was. So I had to make a new one, because this guilt has been cropping up a lot lately and I have too much anxiety over talking to people about it because I doubt they'ed 'get it'. No one in my family are super animal lovers like me. So I guess.. I just need to vent, mourn and maybe get an outside opinion.

Little bit of back story first.. There's a lot of stray and feral cats in my area and they started showing up around my house frequently because I'm a softie and started feeding them. Over the years cats have come and gone and I take care of them. I've slowly worked on getting the females I can spayed, but kittens still happen since I'm only one person. There's literally no spay/neuter programs in my area. I have no help and just do it out of pocket. I've taken in kittens that were abandoned and sick, nursed them back up and found them homes when I can. (This has led to me having a whopping 6 cats of my own living in my house lol)

Anyways way back around the end of July one of the stray cats had kittens. Later mom and the kittens vanished and I let it be and assumed she had moved them elsewhere. A week or so later I come home from work and see.. something terrible. There's two dead kittens out in my drive way. They weren't run over at all.. just dead. And there were two that were alive, but struggling. They were so little. Their eyes couldn't have been open for too long. I'd say they were maybe two weeks old? I scooped them up and took them inside and got them warmed and cleaned up. The one little black one passed away a few hours later. Yet the little grey female was stronger. I made some emergency kitten formula and she ate it and was doing well.

The next day I find another black kitten in my yard. He's strong and crawling around, but momma cat is no where to be seen. I take him inside to and see him covered what I know now were fly eggs. (fly strike) I used the flea comb to remove them and he settled down happily after with his sister. Later in the evening I find yet another survivor and bring that little black one in too. She too had all these eggs on her, but much worse. I cleaned her up with the flea comb and she was good. I now had three, extremely young kittens on my hands that I needed to care for.

I searched around outside for momma cat or any other survivors but found none. So I assumed I had them all. Between the three alive ones in my care and the three dead. That was six in total. Surely that had to be all? No...

I woke up the next day to my brother informing me they found another kitten. In disbelief I bring it inside and start to assess him/her. And then I notice it. The maggots. They were everywhere on this poor baby. In their eyes, ears, privates. It was terrible. I Have an extreme bug phobia but I did my best to try and clean them up to no avail. I'd never seen this before. I was so overwhelmed and nothing I did seemed to clean up the maggots or get rid of them. There were so many, literally all over this kitten and in the skin.

I panicked and soon realized I had no idea how to care for this baby. I couldn't find any resources online because I didn't know what I was dealing with. I was afraid of the other kittens getting sick so I kept it secluded as I desperately called every vet and shelter within a very broad area of me. I didn't have enough funds to take this kitten to a vet and none were willing to help me out or take it. All the shelters were full and any 'rescues' I had looked up were actually shut down or full and not taking anymore cats. All I could do was cry in panic as I tried to help this kitten.

The reality set in that it was too far gone and infested. It was suffering and it was crying. It's poor pained yowls were heart wrenching. I couldn't help this kitten. I didn't have the funds to take it to get proper treatment or even have it properly euthanized. (The cheapest vet I found that did it was for $85, and I just didn't have that kind of money at the time the week between pay checks.) This kitten was suffering and I felt totally helpless as it began to wither away. I couldn't do anything at all.. I felt horrible. I FEEL horrible still. So I had my uncle come and.. humanely end the kittens suffering for me.

In the end I know there was nothing I could do. I did all I could and the three babies I ended up saving are healthy now. They're getting so big and over 6 months old now! They've wiggled their way into my heart and I've kept them as inside cats, as my own. It's heartbreaking to know I had to resort to having the one kitten's suffering ended in such a way.. I feel so guilty. I failed that baby. All these months later and it still really bothers me. Haunts me even. I'll try to forget about it and it works for some time, but it always creeps back up on me. Like I question if I did the right thing. Ugh I just feel so terrible about the whole ordeal and hope no one ever has to experience this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No you did not fail that baby. You tried the very best you could, and then ended its suffering which would have been truly awful had it been unfound. I grew up on a ranch, and sometimes we had to end the suffering of animals when there was simply no other way. As caring compassionate humans, we end up stepping in and taking ahold of nature's hand to provide a little help to some creatures that otherwise would have remained in a very very bad way. I'm hoping for you that as time passes you will find a way to become calmer and more serene about it, and know that little baby would not want for you to be upset when you're doing such an awesome job with the other kittens. :grouphug: :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
That's true I guess. If I hadn't found it, it would've suffered for much longer. I've never had to deal with anything like this before. This is a entirely new 'level' for me. I've had kittens or cats pass away before, but never had to make that sort of call to end their suffering.

I hope so too eventually. Like I know I couldn't have done more, but I still can't help but feel guilty for it. Thank you for posting. You helped me feel a little bit more at peace about the whole thing. I'm so grateful for the kittens that lived. They bring light into every day and bring me a lot of joy. :hearthrob:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm very glad I could help a little. You're a terrific person, and hopefully the sunshine in your world continues to shine through more and more!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can take comfort in knowing you TRIED, and that is all that sweet baby could ask for. You gave him compassion and love, you gave him comfort and warmth when he needed it so much. It breaks the heart to know sometimes no matter how much is given, how much is done, it still is not enough. I have had them die in my arms after heroic measures were taken, I have brought in vets, round the clock care, force feedings and IV's for hydration, and still it was not enough.....life is so frail.
I would venture taht mama had died and they stayed with her as long as they could until desperation literally drove them out to find help. And although some didn't make it, bless their little souls, three did, and for that and taking care of their dead brothers and sisters you will be blessed.
I know no matter how much we want to, and no matter how hard we try, we can't save the world. I grieve for each and every one I can't save, and so will you, you have a loving heart.
Try not to dwell on the one's taht were lost, they are past pain and suffering now, their little souls are at peace. Concentrate on those three that you did save, they have brought, and will continue to bring, much joy and satisfaction to your life, tehy need you now, all of you.
Your heart will always mourn for that little one, but you acknowledged his life while he was here, and you gave him what he needed the most, someone to care and to take away his suffering when life became unbearable. He was with you for just fleeting moments, but to him it was the most important time of his life.I'm sure he thanks you for it and I know for sure he would never want you to be so sad when remembering him. You were his everything at that moment.
So although this is terribly sad, and the memories at this time are not happy ones, take comfort in knowing he is not suffering any more. Look at those three in your life now, and know his little spirit will continue to live through them. Embrace the living and love them, for the past is gone and we can do nothing to change it. Live for today and make it all you can, for you are making your tomorrows. Don't go forward with sadness and grief in your heart, living is meant to be filled with joy and happiness. That little one will always have a place in your heart, and taht is enough for him, let it be enough for you. Take care and please come back when ever you need to, it helps to release a little of your pain to those who understand. Time is the great healer of broken hearts, but it always leaves a scar........RIP little angel. You will never be forgotten, may your tiny soul be at peace. You reached out and found a kind heart to take you in for a moment, may they be blessed for giving you comfort when you needed it so much. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Good night, sleep tight baby angel!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Your kind words are truly helped me for more at ease. Though I'll always mourn the darling, I know that he nor his litter mates that didn't make it, are no longer suffering. I too think momma cat had probably sadly passed away or gotten too sick or perhaps trapped to come back to her babies to care for them. Her being sick or dying would make the fly strike really make a lot of sense.

RIP and sweet dreams little darlings.